Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-07-2023, 01:05 PM   #1
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which softwares can sort by series?

Thinking of buying a meebook m6 since amazon kindle can't sort by series. If I bought a meebook m6, I am thinking, which ebook reading softwares should I download from google play, that can sort by series number?
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
Thinking of buying a meebook m6 since amazon kindle can't sort by series. If I bought a meebook m6, I am thinking, which ebook reading softwares should I download from google play, that can sort by series number?
Most eBook reading software for Android is garbage. It's going to be very difficult to find a program that supports series and works well. Even if you found such a program, you would need a way to setup series that's not manual.

You are best to get a Kobo Libra 2 as it supports series and collections with calibre. And it does it very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2023, 02:46 PM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
In the UK, the meebook M6 is £50 more expensive than the Libra 2.
Only a handful of reviews on amazon UK but all like the ability to run android apps on it.
It has a very small battery apparently. Reliability is obviously unknown yet.
It may turn out well, but £200 for a 6 inch reader with no buttons doesn't sound attractive to me.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
In the UK, the meebook M6 is £50 more expensive than the Libra 2.
Only a handful of reviews on amazon UK but all like the ability to run android apps on it.
It has a very small battery apparently. Reliability is obviously unknown yet.
It may turn out well, but £200 for a 6 inch reader with no buttons doesn't sound attractive to me.
Doesn't matter how good the screen is. It's that there sin' any known good software for reading ePub and supporting series. The OP wants series support and is choosing the wrong Reader.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:10 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Actually I believe PocketBook app will do Series. You would need to add the metadata with calibre (for example).

You can use PocketBook Cloud to store, or DropBox or Google Drive as well. There are dozens of font options. It says it does AZW, AZW3 in addition to ePub or PDF. It also has text-to-speech.

The main problem is with running Android apps on eInk displays. There are likely to be issues.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2023, 04:55 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Actually I believe PocketBook app will do Series. You would need to add the metadata with calibre (for example).

You can use PocketBook Cloud to store, or DropBox or Google Drive as well. There are dozens of font options. It says it does AZW, AZW3 in addition to ePub or PDF. It also has text-to-speech.

The main problem is with running Android apps on eInk displays. There are likely to be issues.
What's the metadata needed for the Pocketbook app to do Series?
Old 07-08-2023, 05:04 AM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If sorting by series is all you want it might be better to buy either a Kobo or Pocketbook.

Otherwise, I'd recommend using a reader app designed for e-ink. Alreader X supports browsing by series.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:14 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
If sorting by series is all you want it might be better to buy either a Kobo or Pocketbook.

Otherwise, I'd recommend using a reader app designed for e-ink. Alreader X supports browsing by series.
How good an app for reading is Alreader X? Does it respect the CSS? Does it support custom fonts?
Old 07-08-2023, 08:05 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's the metadata needed for the Pocketbook app to do Series?
Whatever calibre does, seems to work, at least when I side load directly from it and it to PocketBook cloud from there.

But I want to AirDrop (or drag to application in Finder) to app directly from Finder to confirm it works that way as well.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-08-2023 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:55 PM   #10
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
On my Android e-readers I use the Librera Library to organise the books and from there I open them with the reading programme I like best, usually AlReaderX or KOReader, but you can choose whichever one you have installed (including Librera itself).

(I leave some screenshots of Librera taken from my smartphone, but the operation is the same on any Android e-reader. I use it on my Onyx Boox and Tolino devices, mainly).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-09-04-37-48-604_com.foobnix.pro.pdf.reader.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	202539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-09-04-32-08-287_com.foobnix.pro.pdf.reader.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	202540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-09-04-32-12-315_com.foobnix.pro.pdf.reader.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	202541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-09-04-32-23-544_com.foobnix.pro.pdf.reader.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	202542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-09-04-32-40-005_android.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	202543  
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 01:15 AM   #11
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks, all!
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 04:39 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks, all!
BookFusion is good on iOS and it's available for Android.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:35 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Whatever calibre does, seems to work, at least when I side load directly from it and it to PocketBook cloud from there.

But I want to AirDrop (or drag to application in Finder) to app directly from Finder to confirm it works that way as well.
The default calibre series tagging does work for side loaded on PocketBook Era, however after they sync to Pocket Cloud, I cannot get them to open with the app.

The app does show a few of my other books in series (I've only got a few dozen that I've added), so it works, but cannot verify with the ones I just added. I'll have to see if something went wrong with the conversion from AZW3.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:01 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

IMHO, given that @chongjasmine really wants series, a Kobo is the best choice. It works very easily when using calibre to manage eBooks. Kobo supports series with side-loaded eBooks. It's very easy to configure and use. Just go for Kobo and you'll be happy.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:25 AM   #15
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How good an app for reading is Alreader X? Does it respect the CSS? Does it support custom fonts?
I don't think that it respects CSS. But I'm the wrong person to ask as I don't deal with that at all myself. It has a lot of options of customizing the CSS in the settings. And it's easy to customize fonts and to set different fonts for headings, main text, etc. (Custom fonts are of course supported.)
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote