Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2023, 04:13 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
It doesn't by default, but that can be activated from within the settings. One may also choose which aspects of the css to respect.
Is that all the CSS Alreader Pro X understands? What about the rest of the CSS?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:21 AM   #17
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is that all the CSS Alreader Pro X understands? What about the rest of the CSS?
What options are you missing in that list?

The list of options is longer for fb2/fb3. And for custom CSS there's seemingly endless customization options.

Anyway, enabling all those options for epub made the books that I tried look the same as in koreader.

Do you have a file that I could test out for you in both to see if there's a difference in handling the CSS?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM   #18
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
AlReaderX has its limitations in recognising document styles. This is indisputable even for those of us who use it as a preferred (non-exclusive) reading program. For those who are really interested, the author of the AlReaderX program left an explanation of CSS support here:

https://4pda-to.translate.goog/forum...#entry85222479

Of course I have my personal reasons for preferring it to other reading programs, but that is something I will not discuss with other people. Everyone should use the reading program that they like best, not the one that others like best. I see it as simple as that.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 05:53 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There are loads of free ereader apps far better than AlReaderX.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:40 AM   #20
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
AlReaderX and KOReader are the reading programs I like the most. Between the two, 99% of my needs are satisfactorily covered. In the remaining 1% it is possible that we may coincide.
Advert
Old 09-08-2023, 07:44 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
AlReaderX has its limitations in recognising document styles. This is indisputable even for those of us who use it as a preferred (non-exclusive) reading program. For those who are really interested, the author of the AlReaderX program left an explanation of CSS support here:

Of course I have my personal reasons for preferring it to other reading programs, but that is something I will not discuss with other people. Everyone should use the reading program that they like best, not the one that others like best. I see it as simple as that.
Is there a list of CSS that's not so messy?
Old 09-08-2023, 09:32 AM   #22
salma32
salma32 began at the beginning.

Device: An e-reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumining View Post
I am a long term Moon+ Reader Pro from Jan 2015 to now and it has always kept me happy. As per original poster my key criteria is for the book to look good on my Android Phone, which means being easy to read despite the limited screen realestate. I also use the TTS function for when I am occassionally on the bus - sadly reading makes me carsick. The other feature that just works is the Net Library.
Note I only read non-fiction - the majority are epub, with some pdf. For me the publishers CSS issue quoted by our pro's hasnt been an issue for me.
Also I added a Lenovo Ideapad Duet 10.1" to the mix, and Moon+ works great on that also.
PS the closest I get to fiction is an Opera Libretto ;-)
What's your experience with Moon+ Reader Pro like when reading non-fiction books on your Android phone or Lenovo Ideapad Duet? Have you found it to be effective for PDFs, and do you use the TTS function often during your bus rides?
salma32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #23
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

What post am I supposed to be reading for an explanation of the CSS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yeah? Name a couple, please. The only one that's worked better for me is Koreader.

Quote:
AlReaderX and KOReader are the reading programs I like the most. Between the two, 99% of my needs are satisfactorily covered. In the remaining 1% it is possible that we may coincide.
I'm much the same - I use those two on my Android e-readers and Koreader on Libra 2. For edge cases I also use Librera Pro and Moon reader pro.

I've tried experimenting with others. Most recently KnownReader, a fork of Cool reader, but the UI is a complete nightmare and makes Koreader seem extremely intuitive by comparison.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:29 AM   #24
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
What post am I supposed to be reading for an explanation of the CSS?

Yeah? Name a couple, please. The only one that's worked better for me is Koreader.

I'm much the same - I use those two on my Android e-readers and Koreader on Libra 2. For edge cases I also use Librera Pro and Moon reader pro.

I've tried experimenting with others. Most recently KnownReader, a fork of Cool reader, but the UI is a complete nightmare and makes Koreader seem extremely intuitive by comparison.
Without wanting to go to the discussion again I still think KOReader is and will continue being the most powerful program around. If you like programming you can do practically anything.

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #25
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
Without wanting to go to the discussion again I still think KOReader is and will continue being the most powerful program around. If you like programming you can do practically anything.
I use KOReader on all e-readers where I can install it (except on Kindle due to laziness), but on Onyx devices it is not as well adapted as AlReaderX, which works flawlessly. On these devices I use KOReader as a second option. On the other hand, I find the AlReaderX interface friendlier and it has some "details" that I like better. On equal viewing conditions (about 90% of my books look the same with AlReaderX as with any other reading program you can quote me) I personally prefer AlReaderX. But this is a personal preference, not a recommendation with pretensions of universal validity (for that we already have prominent members of this forum).
Old 09-08-2023, 02:14 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael watson View Post
If you're looking for a solid ePub reader with great CSS support, I'd recommend trying out FBReader. It's been my go-to, and it handles CSS beautifully! Also it is lightweight and known for its simplicity.
FBReader is lousy.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:18 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Give PocketBook reader a go. BookFusion is another to try.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:49 PM   #28
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
For Android, I'd recommend Lithium with my patches, which adds:
  • Custom icon color.
  • Custom cover aspect ratio.
  • Optional cover-only grid view.
  • Debuggable reader webview.
  • Offline dictionary.
  • Custom fonts. (I really like Equity btw)
  • Smaller minimum font size.
  • Additional information in the reader footer.
  • Series metadata support.
  • Series section in library drawer.
  • Increased number of visible actions for the reader toolbar.
  • Support for inverted portrait/landscape rotation.

The main disadvantages are that switching chapters is a little bit slower than I'd like due to how it works (it has to compute pages before making the content visible), and it only supports EPUB.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-08-2023 at 03:53 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:39 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Interesting. I do sometimes use Lithium and it's one I'd recommend. Though I'd only be interested in the offline dictionary and Series metadata support.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 01:00 AM   #30
kandwo
Addict

Quote:
I use KOReader on all e-readers where I can install it (except on Kindle due to laziness), but on Onyx devices it is not as well adapted as AlReaderX, which works flawlessly. On these devices I use KOReader as a second option. On the other hand, I find the AlReaderX interface friendlier and it has some "details" that I like better. On equal viewing conditions (about 90% of my books look the same with AlReaderX as with any other reading program you can quote me) I personally prefer AlReaderX. But this is a personal preference, not a recommendation with pretensions of universal validity (for that we already have prominent members of this forum).
I agree on all points. The fact that Alreader X installs as a systems app makes it feel snappier on Onyx. I use full refresh on every page turn in all reading apps and Koreader is a bit slower with the refresh compared to Alreader X or Neoreader.

The one big feature from Koreader that I find lacking in Alreader X is that the former lets you open a dictionary upon long-pressing a word but selecting text if you long-press and drag your finger along the text. Alreader X interprets every long-press as a request for the dictionary.