Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Moderating question

This above was posted by a moderator in green:

Quote:
Note that detailed discussion of how to remove DRM is not permitted at MobileRead. Removing the DRM from library books is considered piracy here, and possible methods for doing so may not be mentioned here at all.
Does the above rule apply to Amazon Prime Lending library?
Old 11-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, this was was posted by another moderator:

Quote:
Moderator Notice
Please note that we do not permit MR's forums to be used to discuss, encourage, or otherwise condone, the removal of DRM from library books. Any further posts on the matter will be deleted without comment or notice.

Thanks.
The first post says "methods", while the second post says "... discuss, encourage, or otherwise condone ..."; so is there no discussion/mention of DRM and library books at all, or is it OK to discuss removing DRM from library books as long as you don't mention methods and do it in a non positive manner?

Thank you for the clarifications.
-John
Advert
Old 11-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
This above was posted by a moderator in green:

Does the above rule apply to Amazon Prime Lending library?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, this was was posted by another moderator:

The first post says "methods", while the second post says "... discuss, encourage, or otherwise condone ..."; so is there no discussion/mention of DRM and library books at all, or is it OK to discuss removing DRM from library books as long as you don't mention methods and do it in a non positive manner?

-John
This is grayer. For example, one can say, as posters have, that you can't/shouldn't remove DRM from library books. Not being able to say that gets into Alice in Wonderland territory. You'd want to be sure that it was very non-positive and not to bring it up for the sake of shooting it down, I.e., don't be disingenuous or tacitly condone it while overtly condemning it.

I'm sorry I can't be clearer and my answer illustrates that interpretations can vary, so keep that in mind. In short, this is a Justice Potter Stewart response.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe the intent is to have no discussion at all on removing DRM from content that is "lent" as opposed to "purchased".
Old 11-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe the intent is to have no discussion at all on removing DRM from content that is "lent" as opposed to "purchased".
Exactly! If someone doesn't "own" the book, then they have no right to tamper with it. If the book is incompatible with their devices, then it's up to them to get a device that's compatible with the book.
Advert
Old 11-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

One of the warnings is in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ry#post3184320

It looks to me like there is more discussion after the moderator post, and nothing was done?

There is also this thread (starting with post 230):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ibrary&page=17

I reported the above thread (I think it was this thread) and nothing was done, so I was confused as to what is acceptable (which is why I started this thread).

Maybe another bullet item could be added in the guidelines about DRM and library books?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

One of the warnings is in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ry#post3184320

It looks to me like there is more discussion after the moderator post, and nothing was done?

There is also this thread (starting with post 230):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ibrary&page=17

I reported the above thread (I think it was this thread) and nothing was done, so I was confused as to what is acceptable (which is why I started this thread).

Maybe another bullet item could be added in the guidelines about DRM and library books?
I don't see anything in the first mentioned thread after the moderator notice that discusses DRM and library books.

The second thread does seem to have one comment, but it was contradicted and the discussion didn't seem to encourage the attempt.

As for updating the guidelines. No, we can't cover every possible instance in the guidelines. Not enough people read them as it is, and if we make then even longer it's not going to help.

I would have thought is was fairly obvious that removing DRM from library books is not acceptable.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't see anything in the first mentioned thread after the moderator notice that discusses DRM and library books. ...
After the moderator notice, I see the following posts:

Quote:
There is code in the DRM removal plugin to prevent Amazon borrowed eBooks and Overdrive eBooks from having the DRM removed.
Quote:
I didn't know this. Is this something new?
Quote:
I am pretty sure that has been the case since day 1.

Now back to our regularly scheduled moderator notice.
I see my error now, when the moderator said:

Quote:
Please note that we do not permit MR's forums to be used to discuss, encourage, or otherwise condone, the removal of DRM from library books. Any further posts on the matter will be deleted without comment or notice.
He must have meant further post that discussed it a positive manner would be deleted; posts that discussed it in a negative manner would have been allowed.

Quote:

The second thread does seem to have one comment, but it was contradicted and the discussion didn't seem to encourage the attempt. ...
This is what I see posted after the first/second post:

Quote:
Sadly you are mistaken, the tools do not differentiate between library books and books that use a DRM scheme they strip. Alf asks that you not use them in this way for obvious reasons.
Quote:
I was under the impression that the tools include code to check for library metadata.

Either way, I can think of worse things to do than "mistakenly" encourage people to not bother trying to DeDRM library ebooks.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have DRM except for library books.
Then the tools could be retired, and everyone would be happy.
My apologies, when the moderator said "no mention", I took that to be "no mention at all", but negative comments (along with mentioning that tools work but should not be used) are allowed.

Sorry to the moderators for my reporting of the thread.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry to the moderators for my reporting of the thread.
No apologies, please. Why shouldn't you have reported it, if you thought it dubious? The discussion has been fruitful, at least IMHO.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No apologies, please. Why shouldn't you have reported it, if you thought it dubious? The discussion has been fruitful, at least IMHO.
I agree the discussion is good.

But since no action was taken, my thinking was clearly wrong, so in the future I will not report such threads/posts.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It is impossible for guidelines to cover all eventualities explicitly. (The hint is in the name: guidelines.)

It is even more impossible for a moderator notice, quite possibly written in a few minutes, to be so clear, explicit and easy to understand that no-one will misunderstand it.

Some willingness to interpret the intent of the guidelines and moderator notices is required, as in any communication between people.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I agree the discussion is good.

But since no action was taken, my thinking was clearly wrong, so in the future I will not report such threads/posts.
John,
Whether action is taken or not, I will still report dubious posts.
Oh and Paul can you message me.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Is it acceptable by MR to post intentional false or mis-information? I'm hoping to get an official MR moderator ruling, but opinions are welcome.

I personally wouldn't do it, but from what I've seen, IMO, false/mis-information is acceptable as long as it is promoting MR guidelines.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Is it acceptable by MR to post intentional false or mis-information? I'm hoping to get an official MR moderator ruling, but opinions are welcome.

I personally wouldn't do it, but from what I've seen, IMO, false/mis-information is acceptable as long as it is promoting MR guidelines.
Are you referring to my statement:

Quote:
I was under the impression that the tools include code to check for library metadata.

Either way, I can think of worse things to do than "mistakenly" encourage people to not bother trying to DeDRM library ebooks.
In fact, it is true that the tools contain that code.
Maybe it doesn't work anymore, I thought it does work. (For obvious reasons I haven't checked to see. ) I could drop a line to apprenticeharper that that code needs to be checked to see if it still works, I guess.
Given that people still post to Alf's blog complaining that they can't illegally steal library ebooks, it would *seem* to work...

Anyway, as far as I know telling a falsehood is not against the forum guidelines. I should hope that a white lie isn't going to incur the wrath of the moderators.
EDIT: As issybird says in the post below, not an ethical or effective strategy. Even if that had been my intent, I don't know whether it should be deserving of moderator wrath though.

Just call out the falsehood. Of course, that might be encouraging piracy!

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-15-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

Sometimes people are just wrong, or perhaps are engaging in a bit of wishful thinking, without the intent to deceive. I suspect I know to what you refer and I'd hesitate to ascribe a motive myself.

Unless you know for sure, don't assume something is deliberately false. But as far as I'm concerned, if someone is wrong, you can call him on it, so long as you don't use "attack" words or question motivations. A simple statement to the extent that something is incorrect should suffice.

MR is really and truly not Big Brother. I don't think disinformation is an ethical or effective strategy.
Closed Thread