Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
thereyougo
thereyougo began at the beginning.

Device: onxy boox T68
Red face inkBOOK Onyx - Boyue

So anybody got one?

I'm an unhappy owner of a T68. I don't want to make the mistake again of ordering, before reading lots of reviews.

So far I've read two reviews and they where both ecstatic, by that I mean probably fake.

Anybody order?

I know, I could take a look at the Boyue, but it's not 100% the same.

Last edited by thereyougo; 07-05-2015 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Added Info
thereyougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Got links to those reviews?

I'd like to read them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
thereyougo
thereyougo began at the beginning.

Device: onxy boox T68
One is directly at onyx-books.com. I hope this link works.

The other one is in polish. I had it googletranslated.
Quote:
The reader is very nice, I bought it as a second alternative to ppII and I'm happy. The screen works nicely, the backlight is fine, good contrast, plus the option to install additional apps because the reader is on android but at the first contact remained virtually does not see, it works, looks and functions as a reader, so do not be afraid to come out second tablet with this;-) lot of space for books has also + card support. Like most recommended, plus additional for Komputronik for fast shipping reader.
thereyougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereyougo View Post
One is directly at onyx-books.com. I hope this link works.

The other one is in polish. I had it googletranslated.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
If you can stand automatic translation then here you can find quite a detailed reviews from inkBook users: http://forum.eksiazki.org/onyx-boox-...pe-t15267.html . Btw... the device should not be discussed in Onyx subforum. The only thing it has in common is "Onyx" in name while the hardware and manufacturer is completely different.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulek View Post
If you can stand automatic translation then here you can find quite a detailed reviews from inkBook users: http://forum.eksiazki.org/onyx-boox-...pe-t15267.html . Btw... the device should not be discussed in Onyx subforum. The only thing it has in common is "Onyx" in name while the hardware and manufacturer is completely different.
Yes. I'll move it to Android devices.

You know, I think it's time for Boyue to get its own forum.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 AM   #7
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You know, I think it's time for Boyue to get its own forum.
Wholeheartedly agree.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
pepeday
pepeday doesn't litterpepeday doesn't litterpepeday doesn't litter

Device: inkBook Onyx
inkBOOK ONYX review

PLEASE CHECK FOR UPDATES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

Hello everyone.

I can see some people are curious about the device, and since I actually bought it, I thought I'd give a simple review here myself.

So I ordered the device from Onyx website. It arrived in about 4 days which is quite fast, but delivery was 25euro.

The shipping package was good and well protected.

DISCLAIMER: This is my first ereader! I don't have a standard for comparison so I cannot offer an opinion on whether it's better than other ereaders.

You can see the box itself in the images in my Dropbox gallery:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nd4puwwc2...rE7QSLQYa?dl=0

In the box you will find the device, the manuals and the USB cable. That's it.

BODY

The device itself is a nice shade of blue and the body is a rubbery plastic that is matt-looking and very soft to the touch. You almost feel like it's made of rubber but it's plastic. It does tend to collect a bit of fingerprints but it doesn't make it look bad at all. I actually love the body, it feels like a very friendly device.

The screen itself is matt and disperses reflections quite well.

The bottom of the device houses (from left to right) the microSD slot, microUSB, a small hole I don't understand what it's for, another small hole that is probably the reset button and the power button. There aren't any other features on the rest of the sides of the device.

The power button placement feels quite awkward, since you can press it to force the device in to standby and to wake it up so you'd think they would put it somewhere very accessible. Instead, the bottom placement makes it hard to press with ease.

HOME SCREEN

The home screen hosts 4 buttons on the bottom along with the apps buttons in the middle. There's the Recently Read and Recently Added menus. Haven't bothered with these at all as I don't plan in using their ebook ecosystem.

STATUS BAR
The status bar is present in the bottom of the screen. It's actually a blend between the android status bar and the nav bar. The buttons (left to right): home, back, brightness, wifi status, battery and time.

Hitting the brightness button gives you a universal popup slider to set the brightness.

SETTINGS
The only customization options you actually get are:

User defined
Language & input

Other system settings are there but customization options are removed (like accessibility, which I will get to later on).

In User defined you can set the brightness (same as status bar button), Sleep time, Shutdown time, Fullscreen flush times, EPUB book reader, Statusbar (show/hide), Volume keys setting (WHY?!!?!!), Daydream and customizing the 4 homescreen buttons.

SCREEN

Having not had used any ereaders in the past, I cant give much opinion on the screen quality. These are some issues I noticed however:

- The screen gets lots of ghosting in 2-3 changes. The menus and stock ereader are OK since they automatically refresh the entire screen but Moon+ reader never refreshes the entire screen, forcing you to do it manually.
- If you use your ereader % brightness setting, the lower levels will cause the brightness to flickr. You don't get this with the stock brightness slider since it has fewer levels.
- My screen is tilted. YES I MEAN TILTED. The right side of the screen seems to be around 1 milimetre higher than the left side essentially making my screen permanently (slightly) rotated. It's not that bad in epubs (you can't notice it) but it's VERY annoying altogether, thinking of returning my device. -- UPDATED
- The contrast doesn't seem that great. I (maybe falsely) expected the screen to behave like a piece of paper when it comes to outside lighting but it's darker than paper, which forces you to use more light than you'd probably use for reading a physical book.

OPERATION AND PROBLEMS

Now, keep in mind that the only reason I wanted an Android ereader was to not be tied down to any ecosystem and additionally, use alternative apps. This device lets you download apps from the Midiapolis store OR Aptoide store. Both work just fine.

My goal was to use Moon+reader which I have purchased for my phone and is great both in EPUBs and PDF and I can connect it to my dropbox account. There is only one problem.

No 3rd party apps recognize the status/nav bar at ALL! That means when the Moon+ reader goes fullscreen (immersive mode), the status bar blacks out but does not disappear, still taking up the bottom space of the screen!!!

Note that in the native app, the status bar disappears correctly, and the brightness button is transferred to the top of the screen, in what I assume is an in-app button.

The only solution to this problem is to hide the status bar entirely, and lose all soft buttons, as well as time/battery/wifi indicators!

Which brings me to my next issue...settings. The above problem COULD be solved by installing hover buttons. Example, "BUTTON SAVIOR" is great and even has an eink theme. It doesn't require root, but it requires access to the accessibility settings...which are REMOVED. Sorta. They're still there but not present in the settings app. The Button savior app accesses them directly, which means they are present so you can just access them like that and when you try to change any setting....THEY CRASH.

CONCLUSION

Right about now you're probably wondering why I'm so picky and keep discussing things like 3rd party apps. Well, for me, the entire point of getting an Android ereader was to be able to use 3rd party apps. What's the point of having an "open OS" if everything breaks when installing 3rd party apps?! Why not get a kindle!?

All in all, the inkBOOK Onyx isn't a bad device. Apart from the screen tilt issue, hardware wise the device is pretty good and actually quite good looking. But the software issues are very annoying.

Why ONYX decided to break protocol and create a navbar/status bar combination that doesn't respect immersive mode is BEYOND me.

I would definitely consider this a great purchase if one of the below happened:

1. The device was rooted. If it's rooted I can then either force immersive mode with a hover button or activate Button Savior to create very good looking hover buttons that give the same functionality as the status bar. Problem solved!
2. Accessibility settings are fixed. Button Savior works that way too.
3. Navbar/status bar respects immersive mode.
4. ONYX adds the option for hover buttons themselves.

UPDATE1: I mentioned mistakenly that the status bar doesn't respect immersive mode. I think immersive mode isn't actually available in Android JB.

UPDATE2:

It should be possible but I don't have an adaptor to test this...sorry! @Fabyk

I tried Alreader but the status bar / nav bar still doesn't minimize. The device runs Android 4.2.2 @Rizla

There is no google play @trocchietto

I've already sent a support email to Onyx for the problem with the tilted screen and I was told to return the device via DHL...which would cost me around 25Euro which I think it quite unfair. I am awaiting for an answer.

UPDATE3:

I've sent Onyx the photos I've taken of my device screen and they seem to think that nothing is wrong with it. I beg to differ.

Have a look for yourselves:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/evxoh6210...nqJVy26Na?dl=0

UPDATE4 (FINAL?):

After a discussion with Onyx, they had kindly offered to pick up the device themselves. It was pickup up from my location and they sent me another device in a timely manner.

The new device doesn't have the screen issue or any other apparent issue at that. I'm happy with the final outcome with the fault on the device.

For the rest of my comments, please see the review above. Please note that I have given the device away and got a Kobo Aura H2O. I'm very happy with it hardware wise, but software wise I think it's much less capable than Inkbook.

Last edited by pepeday; 09-18-2015 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Updates
pepeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Fabyk
Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fabyk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus / Onyx Boox M90
Hi there,

thanks for your review. I have one question, because sadly the inkbook has no bluetooth. Could you you use a external keyboard with the usb port? I've read in a amazon review for the Onyx Lynx, that this would be possible with the Lynx.

Thanks and bye!
Fabyk
Fabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Try installing AIreader. It has a full-screen mode.

It is normal for an e-ink display to require more lighting than paper.

I don't know what version of android it is. Try side-loding older version apk files for the apps. The older the better generally. They are more stable and less taxing on the hardware and software.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeday View Post
Hello everyone.

ciao two questions
1)OK you do not have other devices but if you look up 8 min 23 sec of this video is the light more o less cool like these two devices. So far I did not see too many android devices with good lights, the kobo glo HD at my advice is the best white paper experience you can have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dryMhj_064

2) google play? I read in the internet could be not available, is that true?

thanks
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeday View Post
Hello everyone.

ciao one question
OK you do not have other devices but if you look up 8 min 23 sec of this video is the light more o less cool like these two devices. So far I did not see too many android devices with good lights, the kobo glo HD at my advice is the best white paper experience you can have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dryMhj_064

thanks

Last edited by trocchietto; 07-16-2015 at 05:29 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #13
pepeday

Please check post #8 for updates.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
pepeday

UPDATE3 in post #8
Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Dai Shan
Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PRS-T1, K4NT, Boyue T62
On my Boyue (awesome device, cut down before it's prime!), I used Xposed with GravityBox (JB edition) to put the reader in expanded desktop mode. I set it to not have any navigation or status bars. I then used GB to set the back button so that a double-tap took me home, and a long press brought up the status/navigation menu. This eliminated the black bars in all the apps I used.

Since the Boyue and your Onyx come from the same stock, perhaps this method will work for you too.

I messed around setting up pie controls for navigation, but due to the beveled edge, this was a little difficult to perform, so i abandon that and just stuck with button control.

It sucks about the slightly crooked screen, I can see how that can be annoying, hopefully you can get it replaced. Just make sure you get a case on that bad boy, that screen is fragile!
Dai Shan is offline   Reply With Quote