Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I would definitely say Jetbook is the best. It handles PDF's as if they were epub or rtfs. You can turn landscape or not and resize the font and no needing to pan. It resizes the page for you.
On a sad note, I would say Kindle is the worst as one either has miniscule text reminiscient of the little matchbook bibles or one must pan across the page for each section when using a legible sized font. I'm sure Kindle will at some point remedy this, but right now Jetbook is miles ahead of the others on pdfs with a good many options to choose from to present a perfect pdf.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 AM   #17
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
The 650's retail price is $229 not $170 - I think you've confused it with the smaller 350 (@$179)?
No, it is the 6".
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #18
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I would definitely say Jetbook is the best. It handles PDF's as if they were epub or rtfs. You can turn landscape or not and resize the font and no needing to pan. It resizes the page for you.
right now Jetbook is miles ahead of the others on pdfs with a good many options to choose from to present a perfect pdf.
Thanks for this information. But here, it says :
Quote:
One the minus side as good as the screen looks and as fast as it works it doesn’t have the same contrast as an eInk screen.
Plus it seems you cannot add notes to documents.
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalebarde View Post
Can someone having a PocketBook 302 testimony how good or bad is the pdf reflow ?
However good the device algorithm is, pdf reflow is always a chancy business, and depends on how the original file was encoded. If you have a two-column page where the text is actually stored in the pdf as alternate lines from each column, it is unlikely any reader will manage to pull useful text out of it.
PDF is just a poor choice for reading at anything other than the original layout.
There is no concept of text flow in a PDF file, no sentances or paragraphs, it is simply a list of instructions of the form: go to (x,y) and print (this text). In most cases the instructions will be in a logical order, but there is nothing that requires this.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalebarde View Post
That is the old 600 model not the new 650.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert