Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #31
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
I just bought the Sony 650 for my 10 year old daughter.

I prefer to sit at the computer with my child and then go ahead help pick out the books for her to read, she had her own SD card with her books on it.

I have a Sony stick for my own books and notes.

I also use calibre instead of the Sony software, which is less than desirable for me to use.

One main reasons I picked up the Sony over the kindle as a friend of mine gave her 12 year old son a kindle and he went nuts purchasing books, she was a little than more shocked when they got a bill of over $200 dollars.

Another is that we prefer the Sony one is that it seems slightly more responsive to the note taking, where she can go ahead and doodle / sketch things in the Notes part of the reader.

Last edited by alilxmas; 10-14-2010 at 10:45 AM.
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #32
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alilxmas View Post
One main reasons I picked up the Sony over the kindle as a friend of mine gave her 12 year old son a kindle and he went nuts purchasing books, she was a little than more shocked when they got a bill of over $200 dollars.

I hope that he read all the books he bought!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alilxmas View Post
I just bought the Sony 650 for my 10 year old daughter.

I prefer to sit at the computer with my child and then go ahead help pick out the books for her to read, she had her own SD card with her books on it.

I have a Sony stick for my own books and notes.

I also use calibre instead of the Sony software, which is less than desirable for me to use.

Another is that we prefer the Sony one is that it seems slightly more responsive to the note taking, where she can go ahead and doodle / sketch things in the Notes part of the reader.
And that is why I would deregister the Kindle or use password protection.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With the K3, can you log into the Amazon account, download the eBooks wanted and then log out so the child could not access the Amazon account without knowing the password?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #35
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can log into the Amazon account, download the books you want him to have, deregister the Kindle, and the person cannot use the internet or buy books until they have re-registered.

If I didn't do that I would use the password so that the child had to bring the Kindle to me to be able to start reading and I could monitor his activity. If the kid ordered a ton of books, I would return them to Amazon and the child would lose his Kindle privlages for a long time.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert