Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you were to get an e-reader for your son I would go with the Kindle. It is less expensive and it has a password feature on it. That should allow you to lock the Kindle so he cannot read it without your permission.

I would get a good cover also.
Why lock the Kindle? Just don't put any content on it you don't want him reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #17
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
I have read that some readers have a plastic screen. Have a look on the PocketBook.
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #18
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
The Kindle extended warranty Amazon offers does seem to cover a 1 time only replacement for any accidental damage. Certainly, the UK version does.

Someone did post on this site last week that the Sony 300 was being sold off for under $50. Having owned and loved a 300 I can say it is solidly built and a good size for smaller hands. Also, at that price it is a less costly loss if someone has a go at "bounce the shiny toy". I realise it does not have any SD card option, but nor does a Kindle.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd go for the Kindle. The touchscreen is a nice feature, for me, but I'm not sure if it's suited for a kid. It is rather sensitive at times...

You should get a good cover, but that's almost mandatory for everybody that uses a reader.

About fragility, as long as he doesn't throw with it, sits on it or try to bend it, they can handle a lot...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #20
sun4384
sun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Thank you all for the advice. I ended up getting Kindle with cover. My son claims he can really take care of it as long as his 5 year old sister doesn't touch it , and if he reads at least 30 classic books with it, it's already not a loss.

After looking at Kindle's screen by myself, I couldn't go for anything less good. For the password, I meant per book password. This is probably not supported I guess. I'll have to figure out how to keep my contents from my son. Maybe frequent upload-read-delete?

It looks some hacking activities for K3 is already rolling. Even better news to me.
Now, to hunt for books to read!

Last edited by sun4384; 10-12-2010 at 09:30 AM.
sun4384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun4384 View Post
Thank you all for the advice. I ended up getting Kindle with cover. My son claims he can really take care of it as long as his 5 year old sister doesn't touch it , and if he reads at least 30 classic books with it, it's already not a loss.

After looking at Kindle's screen by myself, I couldn't go for anything less good. For the password, I meant per book password. This is probably not supported I guess. I'll have to figure out how to keep my contents from my son. Maybe frequent upload-read-delete?

It looks some hacking activities for K3 is already rolling. Even better news to me.
Now, to hunt for books to read!
One tip: disconnect it from your Amazon account or you'll probably have more books than you want
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can also get a Square Trade warrenty for the Kindle. They replace the device in case of an accident, such as a broken screen.

I have read many a post from folks about Amazon replacing Kindles with broken screens. Some of it is to develop loyalty and some of it is because you are less likely to buy their books without their device. There is no gaurentee that they will replace it but so far have been very good about replacing broken screens.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalebarde View Post
I have read that some readers have a plastic screen. Have a look on the PocketBook.
Not yet. Pocketbooks says they will. But they are all glass for now.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sony may be sturdier reader then the K3 due to the aluminum casing vs the K3's plastic casing.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You could almost pay for 2 Kindle 3 Wi-Fi readers for the price of one PRS-650. Each of you could have your own reader and when attached to the same account you would be able to share content easily and you could buy the books for your son and send them to his Kindle (you can do that if you only purchase 1 Kindle as well).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #26
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You could almost pay for 2 Kindle 3 Wi-Fi readers for the price of one PRS-650. Each of you could have your own reader and when attached to the same account you would be able to share content easily and you could buy the books for your son and send them to his Kindle (you can do that if you only purchase 1 Kindle as well).
Daffy--I don't own a Kindle, so don't know the answer. Is it possible to only transfer some of the books to each Kindle if they are on the same account? I could easily see a situation where material I buy for myself would be inappropriate for a youngster.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Daffy--I don't own a Kindle, so don't know the answer. Is it possible to only transfer some of the books to each Kindle if they are on the same account? I could easily see a situation where material I buy for myself would be inappropriate for a youngster.

dordale
Yes, you can only transfer some books BUT I don't think the other Kindle could be restricted from downloading the other books. The Kindle that is restricted may have to be on a separate account or de-registered and only registered when new books are added.

I guess this is one of the "growing up" lessons a kid has to learn. No downloading books without parental permission.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know parents who download the books and then de-register the device.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #29
sun4384
sun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I downloaded all books in the Children's Literature bookshelf from Gutenberg. I wrote a small macro to do that, but wish if there is a single zip file to download all of them. Now, another bookshelf for children to go.
sun4384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #30
joelong
joelong began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
There is no way that reading a particular screen can actually harm one's eyesight.
joelong is offline   Reply With Quote