Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #31
kc24zz
Enthusiast
kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kc24zz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 505, galaxy tab
Buy now.

I waited for all the same reasons until I ended up with my hand in a cast. I love the sony 300. Instant download, easy management with calibre, and No More buying bookcases!

I regret not buying the first reader ever sold. So just pick one and go!
kc24zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #32
nessin
nessin began at the beginning.

Device: None
If it even matters anymore, I'm buying now. I was sitting on the fence waiting for a Nook 2/Nook Lite, but the lack of any detail what-so-ever is just starting to really sour me on Barnes & Noble.

Plus I've been playing with Calibre and the transition from epub to mobi isn't very taxing. I also toyed with the Library excuse but I honestly use the Library mostly for audio books and those I listen to on other devices anyways. So it all came down to the bonuses of epub vs better screen/battery/weight of the Kindle, and B&Ns silence pushed me to overcome the epub problem.

If anyone is waiting on price drops, don't. Consumer electronics rarely go on sale for the holiday's unless there is a large market competition (as in number of distrubtors such as with cheap cell phones and PC parts) so don't expect ereaders to get any special deals. Even when those do go on sale its usually a rush to cut prices and Amazon/BN already cut prices earlier this year and thanks to Sony not matching them there isn't much driving another price cut.
nessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc24zz View Post
Buy now.

I regret not buying the first reader ever sold. So just pick one and go!
Altho I just upgraded from the k1 bought in June of 08 to the K3.......in no way do I regret NOT waiting.

The years of pleasure the K1 gave me are irreplaceable!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Altho I just upgraded from the k1 bought in June of 08 to the K3.......in no way do I regret NOT waiting.

The years of pleasure the K1 gave me are irreplaceable!
Agreed, although I got my DXG a couple of months before the K3 was released.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessin View Post
If anyone is waiting on price drops, don't. Consumer electronics rarely go on sale for the holiday's unless there is a large market competition (as in number of distrubtors such as with cheap cell phones and PC parts) so don't expect ereaders to get any special deals.
Last Black Friday, Best Buy was giving away $30 gift cards for each Sony Pocket Reader purchase; and most of the large stores selling iPods were also giving away gift cards ($30-50) for nano and touch purchases.

I expect the same will happen again this year. I'll be buying my ereader over Black Friday.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Last Black Friday, Best Buy was giving away $30 gift cards for each Sony Pocket Reader purchase; and most of the large stores selling iPods were also giving away gift cards ($30-50) for nano and touch purchases.

I expect the same will happen again this year. I'll be buying my ereader over Black Friday.
provided you get there in time to get one.

Black Friday is notorious for stores having very few really popular items in stock

Is it worth the $30 to fight that crowd?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #37
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I ordered my Sony 650 from Abt the other day - saving $30 in sales tax right there (free shipping, too)!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
provided you get there in time to get one.

Black Friday is notorious for stores having very few really popular items in stock

Is it worth the $30 to fight that crowd?
Depends on the store and if you're already there for other purchases.

I'm mostly waiting for the release of Nook 2, but also to see what deals might be available.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #39
nessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Apparently you missed part of my post. MP3 players go on sale because there is a lot of companies selling them. Also a gift card give away is a far different beast than a sale or price reduction.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Apparently you missed part of my post. MP3 players go on sale because there is a lot of companies selling them. Also a gift card give away is a far different beast than a sale or price reduction.
I don't think it is fair to compare iPods with other mp3 players. Yes, they all do essentially the same thing, but the iPod has maintained such a dominant position in that market, that its only real competitor is mobile/smart phones that include music playback ability.

I would also say, that in my experience, quite a few items do go on sale. Sony, the Kindle and the Nook now are all being sold in multiple retailers, so do have to compete with each other. I don't really expect the Kindle or the Nook to see big if any price reductions for the Holiday, but the Sony, given its high price compared to the others might see some deals.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I didn't miss your post. A gift card is the same as a sale, if it's from a store you already shop at.

I expect to see to see gift cards again this year for iPods and eReaders; just like last year.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #42
nessin

Basic high school economics isn't rocket science people. And I realize most people don't look at Market Trend graphs for fun, but it doesn't take that step to realize Apple avoids sales like the plague and restricts individual stores from offering reduced prices via minimum price agreements (one reason why you see Gift Card give-a-ways as an alternative). If people want to believe insanely stupid things about finanicial realities... well I suppose there is a reason we just had a huge recesssion.

Anyways, back on track with the topic, I was simply pointing out that waiting for a sale/price reduction is kind of pointless with respect to ereaders at the moment. Anything can happen, but any tracing of historical sales data will hold up that concept, both with respect to ereaders and other devices in the same boat as they are now. I'm sure you'll see deals like the gift cards to encourage sales but for any consumer who believes a gift card to be equivalent to reduced price of the product probably is a text book case for how those kinds of offers have the exact opposite effect. You might save money waiting for them, but more than likely just spend more thinking you're ahead.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Basic high school economics isn't rocket science people. And I realize most people don't look at Market Trend graphs for fun, but it doesn't take that step to realize Apple avoids sales like the plague and restricts individual stores from offering reduced prices via minimum price agreements (one reason why you see Gift Card give-a-ways as an alternative). If people want to believe insanely stupid things about finanicial realities... well I suppose there is a reason we just had a huge recesssion.
Long live gift card sales.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm sure you'll see deals like the gift cards to encourage sales but for any consumer who believes a gift card to be equivalent to reduced price of the product probably is a text book case for how those kinds of offers have the exact opposite effect. You might save money waiting for them, but more than likely just spend more thinking you're ahead.
I'm not them. I don't think of a gift card that way. I treat it like cash and only use it to buy everyday items on my normal shopping list. Hence, I never bother with gift card sales at stores I don't normally shop at.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #45
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Has anyone seen the upcoming black friday ads yet?

They're always leaked and posted on websites somewhere.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote