Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Oh just wait!... forever... Here, have some company:

darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Oh just wait!... forever... Here, have some company:

That's me waiting for Nook 2.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
My decision is for the Sony 650 because I want the touch screen, but I am waiting for the US's Black Friday Sales to do it. This should allow for Asus, Kobo, or anybody else to have their offerings out for the holiday season and hopefully prevent me from saying "if only I had known", but gives a definite date for actually making the purchase.
Great idea. I'm doing the same. Hopefully, Nook 2 might make an appearance. If not, I'll weigh my options and make some compromises.

Last year, Best Buy was giving away $30 gift cards with the purchase of the Sony Pocket reader. Who knows what they'll do this year now that they have Kindles, Nooks, and Sonys.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Here are my general thoughts.

The Nook is a really nice device. But if you can't order books from B&N in Canada, its biggest advantage is lost. It essentially becomes identical to the Sony (Unless it can actually download ebooks from other sites over the web, which I don't think it can right now).

The Sony is a wonderful piece of Kit. Arguably the nicest device from a purely reading standpoint. That being said, it does lack wireless, so if that is a must have for you, then it may not be a good choice. That being said, I have rarely found need for wireless on my reader. EInk is slow enough that it is usually preferable to have a computer available.

The Kobo wireless. Certainly a nice design. The wireless might be nice.. but the Devil is in the details, and we really don't have much details yet. Most importantly, does the wireless allow you to buy books with the Kobo without a computer and or download books from free sites or do you have to buy on your computer and then the Kobo will download them directly to the device. If the latter, the wireless is nice, but hardly more convenient than plugging the device to your computer (Particularly since most of the books I read are free books from the Public Domain or Publisher give aways).

Now they are all great readers... you just need to decide what your priorities are... Are they reading books, or is it buying books and/or web browsing.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
The Nook is a really nice device. But if you can't order books from B&N in Canada, its biggest advantage is lost. It essentially becomes identical to the Sony
I might add to that - "It essentially becomes identical to the Sony....but still costs way less."
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
Does anyone know if the Nook can be ordered and shipped to Canada from B&N or would it need to be directed to a US address 1st and then shipped to Canada

Not that I'm interested in buying one of course

there are some Canadian Nook owners that hang out in the Nook sub forum post a question there. Also Nookboards is really helpful and there are just the happiest people over on that forum. Almost too happy. LOL J/K great board over there as well. YOu can more honest answers without having to weed through the trolls.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would not buy an e-reader without WiFi or 3G connectivity. One of the nicest things about my Kindle is that I can download books from anywhere without a computer. It is not difficult to buy a book on the computer and transfer it to the Kindle/Sony/Nook/Kobo, it takes seconds but there are times when you don't have your computer with you and you want to download a book.

Yes, I used to have to wait to buy a book at a book store when I wanted one but I am spoiled by my K3. No computer? No problem, look I have my book.

This is the biggest downside with the Sonys. That and the price.
You know for a Kindle owner you are pretty smart
But the Prof. is spot on, people who say they don't "need or want" I'm willing to wager are ones who have never had the wireless.

There is no way I could go back having just the sideload as my option.

Last edited by boswd; 10-01-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
You know for a Kindle owner you are pretty smart
But the Prof. is spont on, people who say they don't "need or want" I'm willing to wager are ones who have never had the wireless.

There is no way I could go back having just the sideload as my option.
I think it depends on where you get most of your books. As far as I know (Though I may well be wrong), none of the readers with WiFi support using PG, Manybooks.net or Feedbooks as book sources. So if you get most of your books from those sources (or from here), you gain little real utility from the wireless.

--
Bill
Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I think it depends on where you get most of your books. As far as I know (Though I may well be wrong), none of the readers with WiFi support using PG, Manybooks.net or Feedbooks as book sources. So if you get most of your books from those sources (or from here), you gain little real utility from the wireless.

--
Bill

Point taken

though I do think the wireless is one of those once you use it and have it, there no going back.

Kind of like ditching our HDTV back to your big ole tube tv
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Point taken

though I do think the wireless is one of those once you use it and have it, there no going back.

Kind of like ditching our HDTV back to your big ole tube tv
mmm... well some of us never have seen the point of upgrading... particularly since I spend most of my free time reading on my ebook reader .

--
Bill
Old 10-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:

--
Bill
I think that you can download using the WiFi/3G from feedbooks and Guttenburg. I think you can on the Kindle but that might be because it has the web browser.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #27
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
ok this full of misinformation. The Nook supports epub and you can actually buy books from wait for it...........Sony's bookstore as well, from Fictionwise, Kobo/Borders, lend books from your local library as WeLL as having BN as your platform bookstore..
That may be, however, the problem will be if you decide you wish to transfer your B&N bought books to a Sony reader in the future, you won't be able to. It is probably the same if you bought a Kobo in the future & tried to transfer your books to it.

It's simply another form of lock in for B&N.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:

--
Bill
Kindles do in fact let you download ebooks from PG and other sites, including Mobileread. You can even set up your own private web site or use Calibre to feed it.
http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/guten...magic-catalog/
It's all in the free-roaming browser.

All meaningless, of course, since the OP made it clear Kindle is not a desired option.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #29
jumpuphigh
jumpuphigh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Best guideline I know for when to buy electronic gadgets is "Buy when it hurts not to".
As I'm reading the forums and researching ereaders in an attempt to make a decision about what to purchase and if now is the time, this is the best advice I have seen. Thanks!
jumpuphigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #30
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
but I am waiting for the US's Black Friday Sales to do it. This should allow for Asus, Kobo, or anybody else to have their offerings out for the holiday season and hopefully prevent me from saying "if only I had known", but gives a definite date for actually making the purchase.
I agree with you for waiting up to Chrismass rush, even end of January. My own choice is on the PocketBook 603.
I think they are all very close in reading quality, except for pdf reflow that is of prime priority for me. Another criteria is the dynamism of the development team and the availability of firmware upgrades, and how they behave with their old products.
PocketBook have some useless gadgets, but their pdf reflow looks very good. The hard cover to protect the screen is also a plus. And also the number of formats supported without conversion.
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote