Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
The problem is that you have too much left margin. And the CSS code doesn't handle lines that warp properly.

The following code works very well for the epigraphs. The following image is from the calibre editor to show how the code looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chapter03.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	203165

CSS
Code:
blockquote {
  margin-top: 1em;
  margin-right: 1.5em;
  margin-bottom: 1em;
  margin-left: 1.5em;
}
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}
h2 {
  text-align: center;
  text-indent: 0;
  margin-top: 0.8em;
  margin-bottom: 0.8em;
}
p {
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}
.chapterOpenerText {
}
.extractSource {
  text-align: right;
}
.extractVerse-v {
  text-indent: -1.2em;
  margin-left: 1.2em;
}
.smallCaps {
  font-size: 0.8333em;
}
HTML
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<title>The Crippled God</title>
<link href="9781429969475.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>
<body>
<h2>Chapter Three</h2>
<blockquote>
<p class="extractVerse-v"><i>Time now to go out into the cold night</i></p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">And that voice was chill enough</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">To awaken me to stillness</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">There were cries inviting me into the sky</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">But the ground held me fast –</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">Well that was long ago now</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">Yet in this bleak morning the wings</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">Are shadows hunched on my shoulders</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">And the stars feel closer than ever before</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">The time is soon, I fear, to set out in search</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">Of that voice, and I will draw to the verge</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v"><i>Time now to go out into the cold night</i></p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">Spoken in so weary a tone</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">I can make nothing worthy from it</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">If dreams of flying are the last hope of freedom</p>
<p class="extractVerse-v">I will pray for wings with my last breath</p>
<p class="extractSource"><i>Cold Night</i></p>
<p class="extractSource">Beleager</p>
</blockquote>
<p class="chapterOpenerText"><span class="smallCaps">SMOKE HUNG IN THICK WREATHS IN THE CABIN. THE PORTHOLES WERE</span> all open, shutters locked back, but the air did not stir and the sweltering heat lapped exposed flesh like a fevered tongue. Clearing her throat against a pervasive itchiness in her upper chest, Felash, Fourteenth Daughter of Queen Abrastal, tilted her head back on the soft, if soiled and damp, pillow.</p>
<p>Her handmaid set about refilling the pipe bowl.</p>
<p>‘Are you certain of the date?’ Felash asked.</p>
<p>‘Yes, Highness.’</p>

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-15-2023 at 11:22 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:17 AM   #47
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Thanks!

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:24 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks!

Go back and have a look as I've edited the post to add in some more code and a screen grab.

Oh and forget a calibre conversion as it doesn't work well. Editing the code works best. calibre doesn't fix poor code in the eBook.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:47 AM   #49
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go back and have a look as I've edited the post to add in some more code and a screen grab.

Oh and forget a calibre conversion as it doesn't work well. Editing the code works best. calibre doesn't fix poor code in the eBook.
Cheers. Definitely Calibre messed my library but it was my fault, since I checked remove Margins and remove spacing between paragraphs. Better to do it by hand, at least simple stuff. I see is a long debate over the years in these forums.

Old 08-15-2023, 12:48 PM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Cheers. Definitely Calibre messed my library but it was my fault, since I checked remove Margins and remove spacing between paragraphs. Better to do it by hand, at least simple stuff. I see is a long debate over the years in these forums.
Checking "Remove margins" in the conversion settings is one of the worst things to do, as it removes all margins in the book. Best to do that one by hand. (I do most of my editing by hand, but there are some things that often work with converting as well. Margin removal is not one of them, and paragraph spacing doesn't always work well either or even not at all, depending on the coding of the book. Font removal mostly works with conversion.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 12:55 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

It is a long debate. But what you get out of doing it by hand is you learn HTLM/CSS as applied to eBooks. It's how I learned. Plus, when doing it by hand, you can come here and ask questions and get help. So it's a win-win for doing it by hand.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:19 PM   #52
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Checking "Remove margins" in the conversion settings is one of the worst things to do, as it removes all margins in the book. Best to do that one by hand. (I do most of my editing by hand, but there are some things that often work with converting as well. Margin removal is not one of them, and paragraph spacing doesn't always work well either or even not at all, depending on the coding of the book. Font removal mostly works with conversion.)
Just found it out today . Also the option Remove spacing between paragraphs setting an indent makes a mess.

They are very simple changes I will be doing editing the files since KOreader tweaks don't work always.

Nearly all my books are Calibre converted with css flattening since they come from azw3 format. Not sure if you know a way to convert them without the calibrexxx generated classes which is fine to me but I am curious.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:35 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nearly all my books are Calibre converted with css flattening since they come from azw3 format. Not sure if you know a way to convert them without the calibrexxx generated classes which is fine to me but I am curious.
No, there's no way to convert without calibre-generated classes, but there should be a way to extract the epub without converting, using the KindleUnpack plugin. I don't know much about this, however, as I don't mind calibre conversions (with most options unchecked).
Old 08-15-2023, 01:37 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just found it out today . Also the option Remove spacing between paragraphs setting an indent makes a mess.

They are very simple changes I will be doing editing the files since KOreader tweaks don't work always.

Install the KindleUnpack plugin. Use it to shift the KF8 eBooks to ePub. Load them into calibre's editor. Using epubcheck, check for errors and fix thrm. Then fix the code from there. This way you can start over and not use the converted eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-15-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:41 PM   #55
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Install teh KindleUnpack plugin. Use it to shift the KF8 eBooks to ePub. Load them into calibre's editor. Using epubcheck, check for errors and fix thrm. Then fix the code from there. This way you can start over and not use the converted eBooks.
That is then . Many thanks

Old 08-15-2023, 01:43 PM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Install teh KindleUnpack plugin. Use it to shift the KF8 eBooks to ePub. Load them into calibre's editor. Using epubcheck, check for errors and fix thrm. Then fix the code from there. This way you can start over and not use the converted eBooks.
There are some cases where conversion is actually preferable, and those are the books where the author has used inline styles instead of proper css. Calibre converts those styles to css when you convert the book, which makes it a lot easier to edit.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There are some cases where conversion is actually preferable, and those are the books where the author has used inline styles instead of proper css. Calibre converts those styles to css when you convert the book, which makes it a lot easier to edit.
True. My suggestion is to do the shifting and then load the ePub in the editor and from there you can see if it should be converted or if it's OK enough to hand edit.

I've edited a number of books that had a combination of CSS and inline styles. Most of the inline styles were the same for the paragraphs and easy enough to edit.
Old 08-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #58
Tortuosit
Enthusiast
Tortuosit began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei Mate 20 X
AlReaderX (universal version). Prefer it over Librera or Moon+

With "Linux Biolinum" font. Screenshot related.

https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=945616
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230819_224414_com.neverland.alreaderext.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	881.9 KB
ID:	203225  
Tortuosit is offline   Reply With Quote