Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #16
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa
If they really send out some order manually today while sitting on my money for 4 weeks now i'll ...
As I see it, it was private information they have disclosed. We are angry when they do not disclose information, and when they disclose some them we become angrier and menace of economical loss.

Guess what conclusion should any manager get from this? Not that they will care about the client, but the contrary: that hidding information is the better, no-risk, move.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It usually is, at least it is usally easier to handle. Just because if you try to do your best, communicate it, things go wrong, you communicate it, you are the bad guy. But i personally think open communication with people who buy an unfinished product should be done. Not with the broad public though, there you need finer grains of information to spread.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #18
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I concur. Though in all fairness they havn't actually disclosed anything (well except to the commander).

Threatening to initiate a false claimback once the shipping is underway is not the way to do business. And making comments like that is going to make iRex less likely to communicate in the future.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #19
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
But i personally think open communication with people who buy an unfinished product should be done. Not with the broad public though, there you need finer grains of information to spread.
I even think that the broad public can be treated into the best grains of info; if they are not able to grasp them, it is a great opportunity for uplifting.

As for us, we can not help on the economy of the company neither on their shop running, but we can help on making the machine useful. What I am afraid is that this bad experience in the [early, untested] deploy of a piece of software, plus a bad experience on information spread, will delay the deploy of the SDK. And we need the SDK (or a backdoor) to be deployed soon, and Irex need it too.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #20
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@arivero

This is smoething iRex is actually very much aware of apparently. They seem to be trying their very best to push the release of the SDK forward. The problem as I see it however is, that you can't make a proper SDK if the Os isn't finished...so...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #21
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Yap, the SDK will be a very important. I cant wait to get it. But that is postponed till September (When the OS will be in its final stage). At least for the open SDK. As far as i remember, there are special developers SDKs for the larger B2B partners.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #22
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast
FGFuzaxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: maybe Iliad ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The 10 orders that have been shipped so far are "special" orders. They were selected (don't ask me through which procedure) as priority (I think you can guess how I came into that pot...all thanks to you guys...^^) and were sent "manually", not using the normal procedure.
I have not followed everything for the last few hours, who has gotten his (or her) confirmation mail, that a device is underway? And why 10, not 5 or 20 or any other given number?

Hmm, makes me feel not so comfortable with them, but anyway, we are eager early adopters here, what to expect?

Greetings,
Frank
FGFuzaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #23
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
This is smoething iRex is actually very much aware of apparently. They seem to be trying their very best to push the release of the SDK forward. The problem as I see it however is, that you can't make a proper SDK if the Os isn't finished...so...
Well, you *can*. Just publish regular source snapshots - as actively done by most of the open source community.

A finished SDK is good for commercial third-party software. The average open source enthusiast/programmer is used to fiddle with everchanging sources.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #24
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
Well, you *can*. Just publish regular source snapshots - as actively done by most of the open source community.

A finished SDK is good for commercial third-party software. The average open source enthusiast/programmer is used to fiddle with everchanging sources.
Ali is right. Just give us a backdoor somewhere and source to the drivers.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #25
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Ali is right. Just give us a backdoor somewhere and source to the drivers.
Yep. That's all we need.

A sample makefile (indicating the CFLAGS, LDFLAGS needed) and a way to test our newly generated executable .

The rest can be obtained by inspecting the actual executables of the iliad O:-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #26
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@FGFuzaxx

I don't know why it's 10, maybe they had ten devices left in stock?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote