Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Snufkin
Snufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: broken PB360 :(
Broke my PB360 - have withdrawal symptoms!

I'm really suffering, so I know I can count on all of you to give me great advice on what to replace the broken PB360 with. There's no going back, I'm addicted!

In March I bought a Pocketbook 360 after a lot of great posts I spied here on MR. We lived happily together until mid September when I put it (her?) in my bag - without the cover on - and ended up with broken screen substrate. well, no that wasn't so funny.

Things seem to have changed on the market a lot in the last 6 months, or maybe I'm just more aware and understanding, but now I don't know what device to buy.

I really loved the Pocketbook 360, it's small, stylish and you can use it any which way. I used to read both right and left handed and in landscape mode, and it works very well with the side buttons. The hard cover is fab - if you'd only use it. I bought the comfort line, so I have all the extra goodies. Maybe I should just get another one?

But on the other hand...

Originally (before I found MR) I had my eye on a Bookeen Orizon. I got tired of waiting, and that seems to have been a good move, since it's still not (quite) out. Seems to be an interesting device, I like the idea of the touch screen, but I really like the dictionary feature on PB, so I guess Orizon is out.

Pocketbook have a lot of new goodies coming out, I quite like the 602, not that I think I need the "extra" stuff like Wi-fi and BT, but that's easy to say when I don't have them. It's a bit bigger (size matters - right?), but I'm not sure how I feel about the side buttons. I'm spoiled with the PB360. How does it work reading lefthanded or landscape with a device with buttons placed like the PB602?

I like the software on PB360, but the new ones aren't out yet, so we don't know what they will be like (same/similar?) - or do we (YOU?), but then again it's not like I have had much to compare with, so perhaps they all are ok (other brands too)?

Pocketbook IQ is a beauty (apart from the MAXY tag) and inexpensive too, but did I get it right that since it's a TFT screen and backlit etc it will eat batteries like mad, and need recharging all the time? In some video on Youtube someone from Pocketbook said it's mainly a reader but more fun (or something like that), but do we know what else it can do? Also I guess the screen is not going to work for reading outdoors? Perhaps better stick to e-ink etc?

Now I don't know what to do anymore, and it's keeping me awake at night, going over what I have to remember to ask you guys here...
Your two cents will be highly appreciated if you care to throw it my way.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I had the same problem two weeks ago.
Some jerk pushed me while boarding a crowded plane and the PB360 got flexed. Dead screen. I was going to get it repaired--Pocketbook is one of the few outfits that will repair readers out of warranty--but then the price cut came down just in time to save me. I'm running the old battery and using the old screen cover and now I have spares. (If life gives you lemons, make lemonade, right?)

I had a hard week waiting for the new one to get in so I know what you're going through.

The IQ is an Android Webpad that is being marketted for reading. Yes, its LCD-based. And yes, battery life will be hours vs weeks. Price isn't bad. Performance should be adequate but hardly top of the line for video, hence the reading focus. The hardware is somewhat related to the white Pandigital Novel but updated and is supposed to get Android 2.2 in December. I'm keeping an eye on it but I'm also tracking the 902...

In the meantime I'm happy with my new PB360; I'll just have to take better care of it in dangerous spots.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Snufkin
Snufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for the info on IQ.

In my case of the broken screen I at least know I can't blame anyone but myself. That's some consolation I suppose...

I ended up putting in a preorder for PB602. Now if I could just wind time a little faster...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If you've seen the prices for PB360, you're getting a new one for $160 (Standard, which is what you need since you have the Comfort accessories already). Not that I'm impartial, as I own one, but that price is giving you bang for your buck. As for the new models, I'm waiting for Xmas to order my PB902.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
Snufkin

Yes, it was a really nice reader! Not sure I'll be as comfortable with the 602, but I can always sell it if it's wrong for me - right?

I don't get the $160 price since I'm in Europe , it's on pocketgoods.de for 188 €, and since the 602 is 199, I figures i can go for the bigger screen and the extra "goodies" wi-fi etc for almost the same price.

Perhaps the price on the 360 will go down after the new models are out? But I guess not, since they battle in different leagues. Maybe I should just get them both...

Ooh, just checked again, and now it's been priced at 169€. Hmm, that complicates things...
Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Is it true that the 360 upgrade model is due next year and has anyone any news as to what any new features would/will be?
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Pocketbook says they'll launch it in the second half of 2011, abd they've said it'll have Wifi and a Pearl screen. Nevertheless, that all has to be taken with a grain of salt, particularly the release date.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I recently bought a second JBL in case my original one decides to die on me. I keep the spare packed in my luggage.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote