Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
One of the reasons I had considered the nook was that it also accepts ereader DRM. Three flavors of DRM on the nook vs. Sony's one flavor.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #32
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
what happens when you reboot your device?

I normally don't have a problem when i'm just adding ebooks and then unplug from the computer. What kills my device when I have over 1000 ebooks is when it crashes and reboots. That's when the 45 minutes to 2 hours wait time kicks in.

I'm still using the PRS-505 so I can't test this myself.
Same thing... spins for a couple of minutes and all is well. I've rebooted it, but so far it's never crashed on me.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #33
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Thought I'd update on my decision. I bought a K3 from Best Buy today.

And I'd like to add.... I love this forum!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #34
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
LOL enjoy it

As far as "social DRM" what other reader besides nook can open BN books? I thought they used their own flavor of DRM which makes it pretty much useless for anything other than nook.

I like sony and going to order 650 as soon as i get my gift cards from my credit card company. I just bought 350 for my wife and love it. To me wireless connection is pretty useless. I had it on my prs-900 and it spent most of its time in OFF position to save battery. I used it twice and it was pretty crappy.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #35
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
As far as "social DRM" what other reader besides nook can open BN books? I thought they used their own flavor of DRM which makes it pretty much useless for anything other than nook.
Jetbook Lite, so I've heard. Not sure if that's for EPUBs or some other format used by B&N though.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #36
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
LOL enjoy it

The JetBook line, the PanDigital Novel, and I think there is another one, maybe the Sharper Image one?
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #37
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
The JetBook line, the PanDigital Novel, and I think there is another one, maybe the Sharper Image one?
Not to mention any device that has their software available for it. That includes I believe most smart phones (including the iPhone, Android Phones and Blackberry) and I think the iPad.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Thought I'd update on my decision. I bought a K3 from Best Buy today.

And I'd like to add.... I love this forum!
Enjoy!

Although I am curious as to how you ended up with a Kindle. I figured I wouldn't bother trying to sell one in this topic since you wanted a Nook or a Sony.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #39
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I was leaning towards a Nook because I'd had hands on experience with one in B&N, but after checking out a friend's K3 I ended up with the Kindle. I think the hands on experience won me over.

And between the no interest no payments and Best Buy rewards points, the Kindle was a better deal (for me) than either of the other two eReaders. (And right in front of me Monday morning!)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #40
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 7" Notion Ink Adam
The Kindle 3 is the cheapest. Plus free shipping and no tax. They also have cheaper eBooks. It uses hard button for navigation and browsing.

Nook is $10 more + tax and S&H but it uses open format and it has a physical store plus you can lend and borrow books with others. It also uses an LCD touch window/pad for navigation and browsing.

The PRS-650 is the most expensive of the three but it has a touch screen which is great and it looks nice. Other than that, I do not see the advantage of it over the Nook (or the Kindle). The Sony has no wireless connectivity, not even WiFi. It's the biggest dealbreaker to most people but some are willing to forgo it for the touch screen. It defeats the ultraportability of an eReader. Their bookstore is also lame compared to Amazon and B&N plus their eBooks are more expensive. In order for Sony to upend their two biggest competitors, they must offer a wireless feature and for the price they are charging without WiFi ($229 + tax and S&H) it's not worth it.

The PRS-950 will have 7" screen and WiFi + 3G but they are charging $299, however, you cannot browse the web with 3G, just download books from the Sony eBookstore. Why even cripple the 3G? What is the point? To force you to buy books in their store? That is very lame. For $299, it better be using color e-Ink technology for graphic novels, magazines, and comic books. If you can get it $249 out the door, grab it! Maybe Amazon will sell it on Black Friday. Or maybe B&N will come out with the Nook 2 having a full touch screen and color epaper display that will cost the same...and that I think will be a best seller.

Last edited by esquire415; 10-13-2010 at 01:11 AM.
esquire415 is offline   Reply With Quote