Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Angry Food Inc. Documonumentally Serious.

Food Inc. is a documentary that is out in theaters right now that discusses the origins of the food we eat. I am sure many of you have heard many of the problems that this movie touches since the MR crowd are in tune with the underlying problems with society.

I like this movie because they are trying to reach out to the rest of America with it.

Trailer:

Not only are the animals being abused, but so are we. We are the cash cows that they are feeding cheap garbage to. The banks/goverment keeps us in debt, then the few bucks we have left goes to support these souless people.
Food Inc. as a whole gave me this imagery where 80% of America see and dream for this:

But you peal it back it is full of human/animal and environmental suffering.

::shaking head:::
I was decided to get my masters in microbiology, now I am whole heartedly considering going into food safety.

site: www.foodincmovie.com
Please go and sign the petition so the kids that are growing and learning get nutritious food in school. Millions of tiny differences make a difference.

There are more food safety issues you can take part of than just that one. If you have time please go here to see what else you can do. I thank you in advance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is another documentary also coming soon along the same lines. Please check it out!

www.takepart.com/thecove

Last edited by Alphapheemail; 07-19-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I would like to see programs taught in schools all around the world such as the one Jamie Oliver tried to bring to the British system. Every one should be taught to cook healthy foods. It's a basis as important as learning to read.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

I agree. It actually is the essence of life. The sad part is that not everyone knows what we are really eating and the consequences behind the low cost foods. Unfortunately some familes really have no choice in feeding thier kids chips and burgers because they have multiple jobs, little money and no time.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Most kids these days don't even know where food comes from.

Everything comes from a factory. When you say that milk comes from a cow and is only "cleaned up" in a factory, they'll look at you dumbly... And when you say that potatoes don't grow "on" the plant, but in the soil, they won't believe you either... Everything grows on the plant, right? (and don't even mention that potatoes are family of the nightshade and highly toxic! They probably never want potatoes anymore as chips don't come from potatoes, but from the factory...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Everything comes from a factory. When you say that milk comes from a cow and is only "cleaned up" in a factory, they'll look at you dumbly... And when you say that potatoes don't grow "on" the plant, but in the soil, they won't believe you either... Everything grows on the plant, right? (and don't even mention that potatoes are family of the nightshade and highly toxic! They probably never want potatoes anymore as chips don't come from potatoes, but from the factory...)
If any one ate the fruit of the potato plant, they'd die a horrible death.

Details like this remind me that living in a city is not good. It's like ignoring the fundamental nature of a being.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If any one ate the fruit of the potato plant, they'd die a horrible death.

Details like this remind me that living in a city is not good. It's like ignoring the fundamental nature of a being.
Yes... And it's also why schools should go out more. To farms and such, to teach the children how it's really done. At least the farms here have started their own version of an "education" program. Every year, they have an "open house" (not all farms, but a lot, all across the country). It's a start!

And nightshade isn't only poisonous. It's also a hallucinogenic...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I'd like to beat the drum for this again. I think it is an EXTREMELY important read, and the first thing I have purchased first on my Kindle, and then as PB to loan out.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

A true example of this then:

A couple of months ago a friend of my son's (aged 11) came to our house for tea. For the meal I offered to make chips (fries possibly in the US). Matthew's friend said to me, "What are you making them out of?" and when I replied "Potatoes" he said "Oh, I don't want any then"! I assume he had only ever seen chips from McDonalds and such like and had no idea what they were made of.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
A true example of this then:

A couple of months ago a friend of my son's (aged 11) came to our house for tea. For the meal I offered to make chips (fries possibly in the US). Matthew's friend said to me, "What are you making them out of?" and when I replied "Potatoes" he said "Oh, I don't want any then"! I assume he had only ever seen chips from McDonalds and such like and had no idea what they were made of.
=Y this is the fundamental issue. Kids are now growing up preferring vegetables that are processed, preserved, flavored, adjusted chemically for shelf life, packed in vivid colors, that the natural alternative.
I am not going to be a hypocrite and say that I would prefer a potato over a bag of lay's chips, but when I think about the social and environmental impact one has vs the other I choose to make me a baked potato...
Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Redimech
Nameless Being

Can anyone get Food, Inc as an eBook? I've just bought the companion to the movie as an Adobe DE, but can't read it on my iRex DR1000S. Any help? Can't wait till the movie is released on DVD so I can watch it in Australia!

Tags
dolphins, food industry, thoughtful