Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-05-2023, 10:03 PM   #1
Elaine T
Enthusiast
Elaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolate

Device: kindle paperwhite
import bookmarks from a kindle to calibre?

I have several hundred thousand bookmarks on my kindle which I would really like to have backed up by importing them into Calibre along with the books they go with. I've poked around and find mention of being able to import and export annotations, which I've tried, and it doesn't seem to consider bookmarks as importable annotations. Or maybe I should do it through some way other than "add book from single folder" to get the extra files associated with the book? I've never figured out how to get Calibre to bring in anything except the book file.

IS there a way to get the bookmark files that I've missed? (quite possible). If there isn't, would it be possible to add one? Or is someone - not me, not without handholding - capable of writing a plug-in to do so?

Thank you very much for any help.
Elaine T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:51 AM   #2
tlwright
tlwright began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet; Kindle PW; Fire 10
Have you checked your MyClippings file? I did some checking with my 10th Gen Paperwhite, and it shows a bookmark @ the location in the file. It uses Location, and I'd imagine with some linking could show up. But I'd suggest backing up the MyClippings file regularly anyway, and can be added to Calibre as its own file.
tlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwright View Post
Have you checked your MyClippings file? I did some checking with my 10th Gen Paperwhite, and it shows a bookmark @ the location in the file. It uses Location, and I'd imagine with some linking could show up. But I'd suggest backing up the MyClippings file regularly anyway, and can be added to Calibre as its own file.
What is missing in Calibre (Viewer and Editor) is a compatible (with My clippings) GoTo: Location plugin.
This need is not Limited to Kindle. I tend to mark issues found while reading. So how can I find them EASILY while using Calibre, so I can fix them?

Nope! The device must be presently viewing that issue, so you can see the surrounding text (chapter...) and do a search using a phrase from nearby.

Add in the plethora of different methods that Annotations are done by vendors ...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
Elaine T
Enthusiast
Elaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolate

Device: kindle paperwhite
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of My Clippings, but you're right, something could be done with it.
Elaine T is offline   Reply With Quote