Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #31
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
At the same time I ordered a Paperwhite from eBay, I decided to spend the difference between my price and Amazon's price on a padded case. I liked the gender neutral color, along with the fact that I should be able to tuck the stand and a stylus into the pocket as well.

(At Etsy, search for "gray linen kindle")

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 02-13-2019 at 01:49 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #32
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Maybe a clamshell case, then?
https://www.amazon.com/Paperwhite-re...dp/B073S5GHH4/
---------------
Alas, it's harder to find a folio case I like (I do own several sitting unused in a closet).
Donate them.

Lately I find myself constantly letting go of things that I assiduously collected for years.

First it was hardbound books, then furniture, and all the sqirreled away supplies for the next apocalypse.

I still am stuck on the starting point for electronics and tools.

I think I might be ready to work on manuals and how to do books, or not

... and there is mom's old super powerful Buick in one garage bay. ((Unfortunately it has the old "outlawed" type air conditioner.)) But that almost racing style engine!!

Last edited by frahse; 02-13-2019 at 06:16 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #33
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I always use a case, for protection, because it keeps the device clean, and because it's far more comfortable to hold than bare metal and glass.
Since I know you're an Oasis 2 owner, and I just got one: Did you find it was almost necessary to have a case with the Oasis? I like mine a lot, but man it is so slippery it's constantly slipping out of my hands. I don't think I could keep this device without a case. Also, I have a form of neuropathy, and the bottom corner of the Oasis digs into the heel of my palm and after a long reading session, the hand goes numb if I don't constantly switch hands or positions.

I'm hoping a case can solve both problems: make it a little more grippy, and take the bite off the corners/edges to help with the neuropathy.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've always used a cover with every device I own precisely because I find rigid devices very uncomfortable to hold. Where available I buy real leather covers because I like the feel of it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #35
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Damage protection is key, in my opinion. eInk screens are ridiculousy fragile.
And it gives me something to hang onto. Usually, I hold the book in one hand, index finger on the back, front cover folded back and my other three fingers behind the folded front cover. I tap and swipe with my thumb. I only use my other hand when I need menu.

I was totally flummoxed when Amazon Kindle announced that their Oasis 2 cover was intended to personalize the Kindle and not protect it. I returned the Oasis 2 and read happily on my Paperwhite 3s until I got a Paperwhite 4...with a case.

I always do Amazon Kindle cases, except for the Voyage and the Oasis 2.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #36
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
This morning while walking into the other room with my Kindle held up to read as I walked I tripped and the thing went flying across the room, hit a shelf and fell to the tile floor. I was sure it was a goner but, in fact, I can't see any signs of damage or scratches.

This was a Paperwhite 3, about 6 or 8 months old, with no case. It hit pretty hard on the shelf and almost as hard on the floor and it held up very well.

I always keep one Kindle without a case because it's easier to hold up over my head when I read laying down and this is the one.

I don't have many device accidents. About 6 or 7 years ago I dropped a Nook HD tablet (in a case) on a sidewalk and cracked the screen. Maybe 5 years before that I tripped and an MP3 player, actually a 4.5" tablet-like device, went flying into the toilet and died a quick death. And now a dropped Kindle which survived. That's it!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:22 AM   #37
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I only use the origami case for the Voyage, when I need to read without hands. Otherwise, I am not too concerned about damage protection. My Voyage has travelled around the world with me in my backpack, and considering I only got the case last year (and have the Voyage since 2015), I find the Voyage to be very durable.

I love the way the back feels, and how light the Voyage is. That was one of the reasons I returned the Oasis 2, the metal was ok after a while, but I didn’t feel comfortable leaving it around or carrying it in my purse without a case...
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:32 AM   #38
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use cases. It's not when I'm using a device that it's likely to get damaged. It's when I put it down and am not paying attention to it that bad things happen. I don't want to have to return it to a safe enclosure every time I put it down.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I use cases. It's not when I'm using a device that it's likely to get damaged. It's when I put it down and am not paying attention to it that bad things happen. I don't want to have to return it to a safe enclosure every time I put it down.
Exactly. The only times I've ever dropped a device have been when I've temporarily put it down on something and it's fallen off. Most recently (last summer) I put it on the arm of a garden chair, knocked it, and it fell about a metre onto a concrete floor. No damage, thanks to the cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:22 AM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly. The only times I've ever dropped a device have been when I've temporarily put it down on something and it's fallen off. Most recently (last summer) I put it on the arm of a garden chair, knocked it, and it fell about a metre onto a concrete floor. No damage, thanks to the cover.
It usually happens to me when I get rushed and am not paying attention. The most recent was about a month ago, when I had my iPad pro under my arm, since I had a winter coat on it slide out and fell about 5 feet down to the concrete. Fortunately, I had it in a leather case, so no damage.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My most recent was when I put it down on the trunk of my car to make sure my granddaughter got into her booster seat and buckled up correctly. As I did I thought I should not do this, but I did it any way. Drove off and it fell off. The cover protected it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 AM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I haven't been using a cover/case/sleeve for several years. My readers seem fine without them.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #43
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I haven't been using a cover/case/sleeve for several years. My readers seem fine without them.
I tried a case with my Oasis 2, per above, then returned it. It did solve the 'slippery aluminum backing' problem. But it created new issues for me, and the worst one was it made the device more heavy than I wanted (+4.2oz, for a total of 11oz).

Agree that no cover is preferred during reading, if possible.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #44
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I haven't been using a cover for about ten years now. I daily carry my readers to and from work and haven't sustained any damage yet.

The only time I ever damaged a reader was by scratching the screen with a grain of sand while at the beach, which a cover wouldn't have helped protect against.

The only reason I can imagine wanting to get a cover is if the reader is so slippery that it is difficult to grip -- and even then I am more likely to just choose a different product. Otherwise, I think a protective cover adds too much weight and bulk to the reader.

Last edited by radius; 02-27-2019 at 02:39 PM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #45
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthestar View Post
I just purchased my very first e-reader (Kobo Clara HD),...

Do you use a case/cover? If so, are there any particular features/styles that you like best?
When I bought a Clara in October last year after seven years or so of various Kindles, I also discovered the joy of origami cases. Before then, I'd kept my Kindles in official Amazon cases, but hadn't even known origami cases were a thing. Now, with my Aura H2O2, I couldn't imagine not having one. It's protection for my reader in my pocket (it fits in most of mine), and means that I can read hands-free with just one finger when at a cafe or the like. At home, It stands up nicely on the tablet cushion I have, making reading in bed or lying on the couch a dream.