Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
1250 books for $20.

https://www.pulsetv.com/prodinfo.asp...2&sid=81229486 This site sells a Library of eBooks on a 8 GB USB card. The card itself is almost worth the price. Books are all in 3 formats, Kindle, ePUB, and PDF. I have bought other items from this site before.

I just noticed that https://www.heartlandamerica.com/e-g...PER+Cyber+Sale! Heartland also has this on sale. Their price is $25 but includes free shipping making it only slightly more that PulseTV. They also have some audio books included but PulseTV may have them also. I am not sure.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 02-01-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add Heartland
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
So, let me see if I understand this. 250 public domain classics and 1000 Indies of unknown quality. On an 8gb USB key of unknown make, worth about 4€. For 25$ including postage. So if you actually read eight of the non pd works you have read about eight dollars worth (maybe) and have a four dollar USB key, which together cost you 25$.
I think I'll continue getting my pd from Gutenberg. As for the Indies, I suppose if you find something you really like it's worth it, but I'm sure they are available on an individual basis to download.
Thanks for posting, but I think I'll pass on this.
BTW, how do they justify 5$ to post it? Must weigh about 6 grams.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
So, let me see if I understand this. 250 public domain classics and 1000 Indies of unknown quality. On an 8gb USB key of unknown make, worth about 4€. For 25$ including postage. So if you actually read eight of the non pd works you have read about eight dollars worth (maybe) and have a four dollar USB key, which together cost you 25$.
I think I'll continue getting my pd from Gutenberg. As for the Indies, I suppose if you find something you really like it's worth it, but I'm sure they are available on an individual basis to download.
Thanks for posting, but I think I'll pass on this.
BTW, how do they justify 5$ to post it? Must weigh about 6 grams.
They call is shipping and handling. I should have said shipping. The first one is cheaper with about $4 for shipping. The prices for the base product are not the same.

Dale
Old 02-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can get a 16gb drive from Sandisk or Kingston for $5-$8 on Amazon.

Why pay for public domain classics, or unknown Indie titles?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
This seems to be targeted at low-information buyers, to be honest.

EDITED to add: Not saying it's bad or anything, just saying it the way I see it.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
The author/title list is here: https://www.egolibrary.com/books

I scanned the SFF and only spotted 2 names I knew - Terah Edun (YA) and Lindsey Buroker - The Emperor's Edge. (I wasn't particularly impressed by the first in that series and didn't continue.) I have a Terah Edun on my TBR pile so can't comment.

Saladin Ahmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon is included (oddly in the Fiction category - it's actually Fantasy). That's pretty good.

3 books out of around 600 in fiction - not a good hit rate. The SFF PD section is better!
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Throne of the Crescent Moon is neither PD, nor indie. It was published by DAW. Are we certain the rights holders to all of these books are on board with this?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 PM   #8
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Throne of the Crescent Moon is neither PD, nor indie. It was published by DAW. Are we certain the rights holders to all of these books are on board with this?
You know, I was kind of thinking that myself.

I do know Throne of the Crescent Moon has a free sampler, and I think the first in The Emperor's Edge series is a freebie. It would perhaps be instructive to poke around Amazon or Smashwords to see how many of the titles are available there.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #9
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The type of website these deals are on, gives me a caveat emptor feeling. Buyer beware. I mean, I guess what I'm saying is, the deals sound better in the "Big print" than they are once you look at the "fine print". But isn't that life? The big print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Although regarding the price of a 16 GB flash drive on Amazon given issues I've heard related to Amazon's fulfillment and 3rd party sellers related to counterfeiting and that counterfeit flash memory is a real thing and would cause actual issues in some cases, I'm not sure I'd go with them for flash memory. But I'm not attacking the point made.

Although this flash drive has a MicroUSB connector as well, if you care.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
The type of website these deals are on, gives me a caveat emptor feeling. Buyer beware. I mean, I guess what I'm saying is, the deals sound better in the "Big print" than they are once you look at the "fine print". But isn't that life? The big print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Although this flash drive has a MicroUSB connector as well, if you care.
I have purchased stuff from both of the sites before. Note that the original source for this product is at https://www.egolibrary.com/

Dale
Old 02-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have purchased stuff from both of the sites before. Note that the original source for this product is at https://www.egolibrary.com/

Dale
I know another site that sells the same thing. Small world isn't it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I decided to order it and received it yesterday. The quality of the books is not nearly as good as the posts here at MobileRead but I expected that. The cover page is present on books but is of low resolution, Ok for library viewing but not for first page viewing. The format is generally no paragraph indent with a line space between paragraphs. The TOC is basically minimal and not really useful. The text seems ok from the ones I looked at with italics and bold used. Looks ok for most reading. I have not yet looked at the audio files. They have apps for iOS and Android. Once you set up an account with the host site you can download the apps and log into the site. At this point you can download the books directly if you wish instead of having to sideload them. The small microUSB end can be used on Android to directly extract files from the USB drive if you wish. Either end will work for a computer. They are all sortable and placed in categories for easy access. All three formats, PDF, mobi, ePub were present in the books I looked at. There are instruction manuals in PDF at the root of the USB drive.