Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd never complained about the speed because I assumed it was the EInk limitation, and so there was no point in complaining.

Finding out that it's actually a processing speed limitation was a surprise.
I think all these devices are a compromise. A faster CPU means greater power consumption, leading to either shorter battery life, or a heavier device due to a larger battery. Look at the threads complaining about the Oasis' (which has a much more powerful dual-core CPU) battery life.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think all these devices are a compromise. A faster CPU means greater power consumption, leading to either shorter battery life, or a heavier device due to a larger battery. Look at the threads complaining about the Oasis' (which has a much more powerful dual-core CPU) battery life.
In fairness, I believe the Oasis has a smaller battery as well so that one's problem is not just CPU.

At this point in time, I would think that there are processors with same power consumption while having faster performance than the one used in the Paperwhite.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-12-2019 at 11:00 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #33
Victoria
Evangelist
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle pW 3, iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps, but no Kindle has a backlight, of course, and frontlighting is no different to any other external light falling on the screen.
This is off topic from the OP’s question, but thanks for your comment! That sent me on a search to learn more - something I should have done earlier. So now I know the Paperwhite is sidelit, not backlit.

Concerns about sleep disruption are tied to blue light, which can interfere with melatonin production. The white light from the Kindle’s LEDs do include blue light. However, exposure is significantly less than from tvs & computer screens, etc.

Just how disruptive Kindles actually are was hard to pin down. I found lots of contradictory hearsay and few primary sources. I’ll keep looking, but in the meatime, thanks for setting me straight.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #34
Shad Plante
Zealot
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
This is off topic from the OP’s question, but thanks for your comment! That sent me on a search to learn more - something I should have done earlier. So now I know the Paperwhite is sidelit, not backlit.

Concerns about sleep disruption are tied to blue light, which can interfere with melatonin production. The white light from the Kindle’s LEDs do include blue light. However, exposure is significantly less than from tvs & computer screens, etc.

Just how disruptive Kindles actually are was hard to pin down. I found lots of contradictory hearsay and few primary sources. I’ll keep looking, but in the meatime, thanks for setting me straight.
Also, keep in mind that blue light exposure during the day is part of the equation as well. Getting outside and getting good blue light exposure during the day can mitigate some the impact of blue light exposure at night.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #35
Victoria
Evangelist
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle pW 3, iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
Also, keep in mind that blue light exposure during the day is part of the equation as well. Getting outside and getting good blue light exposure during the day can mitigate some the impact of blue light exposure at night.
That’s interesting! Thanks - more to research
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #36
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
As someone that owned both the basic is crap and well worth getting the new Paperwhite. There is no light on the basic and it really bothered me. I could not see the screen. Even in sunlight, it was poor. Front light makes a HUGE difference
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
As someone that owned both the basic is crap ...
Only if you must have a front-lit screen. Otherwise the Basic is fine. Actually, until the PW4, the Basic had more built-in features than did the Paperwhite 3 and below (with the exception of front light and higher resolution screen). If you buy the Basic when it's on sale ($50) it's a good deal.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #38
teija
Addict
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 7th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
As someone that owned both the basic is crap and well worth getting the new Paperwhite. There is no light on the basic and it really bothered me. I could not see the screen. Even in sunlight, it was poor. Front light makes a HUGE difference
I wouldn't say the basic is "crap". I recently got a Kindle (basic) 7th gen and was actually quite pleased with it. I didn't have much issue reading, and since I am usually reading outside or in a well-lit area the Paperwhite was not entirely necessary. HOWEVER, when I started reading at bedtime, I must admit that the lighted screen is much more of a pleasure to use... although I don't like the fact that you can't actually turn the Paperwhite screen all the way off (it is always on just a little), at least on the older versions. Despite this, I find that battery life is still very good.

Last edited by teija; 02-13-2019 at 03:57 AM.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:11 AM   #39
binaryhermit
Addict
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, Kindle Keyboard with 3g
The lit screen looks kinda weird to me, I'll admit. But you can dim the light when not needed if you find the case. And in low light, "looks kinda weird but readable" is preferable to "unreadable". And as I understand it, the PW4 lets you completely disable the frontlight.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote