Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #16
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
To add to what Tarana says about text to speech, the K3's text to speech is noteworthy because, of all e-Ink devices with text to speech and speakers, this has the loudest speakers. Something needs stirring in the kitchen and you're in the middle of reading? Bring along your K3 switched to TTS, and continue your "reading."

Yes, 3G might be turned off soon. But most probably that will happen quite a bit later than it appears, because 3G (and increasingly CDMA) is more and more being provided via software defined radios. AT&T has 3G contracts with more than just Amazon. E.g., Ford uses 3G for cellular connections with their vehicles. When AT&T phased out 2G, all the earlier 2G modems in Fords needed to be replaced, and it was done at Ford's expense. So the combination of clients like Amazon and Ford providing some pressure, and smarter cell site equipment, means 3G may be accessible longer into the future than your Kindle's battery will last (except as stated above by AnemicOak, it's a cinch to replace the K3's battery).

You might also like the standard font in the Kindle as much as I do.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #17
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The battery seems ok-ish and it registers just fine.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #18
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
But does the 3G on it actually work? The 3G on my KK stopped working awhile ago, long after it was out of warranty.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #19
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the 3g works for me.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I thought Amazon no longer supported those old models
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #21
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

I think the "old models" losing their connectivity were on Sprint towers and it's Sprint's fault. Since the international Kindle 2 all 3g kindles are AT&T (GSM)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I bought one off ebay over the weekend, and due to my psychological makeup and in the interest of trying to stimulate discussion on one of my favorite forums, I'm wondering if I made a decent choice.
I still like and use my Kindle Keyboard. They're still solid readers with a really good "feel" in the hand. I think you did fine with it at this price.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An excellent light for the Kindle Keyboard is the Kobo Clip Light. (Actually the Kobo Clip Light works for a lot of old eReaders.) Someone is still selling them on eBay. (I bought a couple from this seller and got good service.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kobo-N9...4AAOSw~29b5lkC
Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 AM   #24
boomchikawahwah
boomchikawahwah began at the beginning.

Device: KKx2, PW2, Touch3g, Basic
The Kindle keyboard still has one of the best screens for daylight reading. The lack of layer for lighting must have something to do with it. I still have it just for this reason, when I know I'll be reading outdoors.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
boomchikawahwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #25
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
An excellent light for the Kindle Keyboard is the Kobo Clip Light. (Actually the Kobo Clip Light works for a lot of old eReaders.) Someone is still selling them on eBay. (I bought a couple from this seller and got good service.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kobo-N9...4AAOSw~29b5lkC
Ack, I got the "You must spread around..." message when I tried to give you karma for this recommendation. Got two Kobo lights from your link and they're great. Thanks much!
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Ack, I got the "You must spread around..." message when I tried to give you karma for this recommendation. Got two Kobo lights from your link and they're great. Thanks much!
Honestly, I don't even think about the karma thing until someone mentions it. I should learn to use it more often because a lot of people (to whom I never given any karma) have helped me a lot. (Sorry folks.) At any rate, I returned your karma and I'm very happy the Kobo lights worked out.