Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
sunishun
sunishun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire 5th Generation
Error communicating with device, Cannot write to file, Unspecified error

Hello, this is my first post here.

I've been a very happy Calibre user for several years, the past few with my Amazon Fire 5th Gen.

Over these years, I sometimes get the Error Communicating with device. It's usually resolved by rebooting my PC and/or device. However, for the past three weeks, I've received the error and not been able to fix through reboots.

I appreciate any help I get for this issue. Here's the error:

Spoiler:

calibre, version 3.38.1
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Last edited by PeterT; 01-25-2019 at 07:53 PM.
sunishun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You will have to reset the device, or alternately use one of the wireless communication methods described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
sunishun

Thank you for the quick response.

I messed up. Misunderstood, thought you meant a fresh Calibre install and wiped out my library.

What do you mean by "reset the device"?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You will have to reset the device, or alternately use one of the wireless communication methods described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
Old 01-28-2019, 01:05 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply google

how to reset my amazon fire

and you should get instructions
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishun View Post
Thank you for the quick response.

I messed up. Misunderstood, thought you meant a fresh Calibre install and wiped out my library.

What do you mean by "reset the device"?

Thank you.
A fresh Calibre install should not touch your library! It will still be on the hard disk unless you explicitly removed it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
search you HD for metadata.db

In calibre right click the Library Icon: Switch/create: Usu Existing <select the folder where the DB file was found>: that is your Old Library. Nothiing else need be done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
sunishun

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
search you HD for metadata.db

In calibre right click the Library Icon: Switch/create: Usu Existing <select the folder where the DB file was found>: that is your Old Library. Nothiing else need be done