Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-01-2023, 03:45 PM   #1096
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock97 View Post
I have searched till my fingers bled. I am trying to figure out how to simply import my list of identifiers into my library. I am using a custom column (#shorttitle) as the match column. This is working correctly, however cannot seem to format my CSV in any manner in which I can import my amazon and ff identifiers. Here is a sample line from the CSV.

Any help with the formatting would be gratefully appreciated.

G
See the attached image ToolTips from the JS Thread.

Apparently, you are trying to add multiple Identifiers within a single CSV row cell. Check the CSV double quotes for that column. Also, your column header appears wrong; ID is the Calibre Book ID, an integer. You are trying to update Identifiers. See the image ToolTips. Also, you appear to be mixing single quotes and double quotes in the same CSV row. Be careful how you save your Calc spreadsheet with options re: always double-quote text cells. All cells should be double-quoted to separate them from the other cells in the same row. The single quotes of the data are entirely different. See the csv.txt file attached below.

I hope your are not manually editing your CSV file in a text editor; if so, switch to Calc/Excel to gain uniformity in your CSV.

The matching is working properly because that match column is the only column with proper syntax.

The lower right corner of the image, plus the original posts about this Tool, state that there is an example CSV file located in /../calibre/plugins/job spy/resources. That CSV is attached below.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_import_csv_to_update_metadata_20191023.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	202385  
Attached Files
File Type: txt import_csv_to_update_metadata_example_csv.txt (718 Bytes, 61 views)

Last edited by DaltonST; 07-01-2023 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Corrections. New attachment from calibre/plugins/jobspy/resources
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 04:11 PM   #1097
gstock97
gstock97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've read the tooltips and I thought I followed the as specified, however I still can't get the syntax.

As for the identifier column. The tooltip specifies: 'type':'value' So I interpret it to mean 'amazon':'B012KKDI88'. Am I interpreting this incorrectly.

Another question, is the identifier column a text column?

As for editing, I've tried both, neither seem to work for me. (Using EditPlus and saving as UTF-8)

You mentioned single quotes and double quotes in the same CSV row. Could give me an example of how I would do my scenario and how it would look like in either Excel or text.?
gstock97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 04:37 PM   #1098
gstock97

Still lost

I've used your example and still can't get it to work. Attached is my Excel created CSV with a header row and 1 data row with 2 columns.

No matter what I do it kicks the error anyway.

I know I'm getting old and so is this, but not that old.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JS+ error.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	202388  
Attached Files
File Type: txt new_csv.txt (88 Bytes, 91 views)
Old 07-01-2023, 05:10 PM   #1099
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock97 View Post
I've used your example and still can't get it to work. Attached is my Excel created CSV with a header row and 1 data row with 2 columns.

No matter what I do it kicks the error anyway.

I know I'm getting old and so is this, but not that old.

Thanks

Your csv still is not saved from Excel with all cells double-quoted.

I guess you didn't compare your csv.txt to my attached example csv.txt.

I have given you the solution, but you have to apply it.

DaltonST
Old 07-01-2023, 07:53 PM   #1100
gstock97

Well I have tried to do as you requested. I even opened your csv in Excel and slightly modified it as a test and still no go. However when I save and look at the file in any text editor, I don't see the double quotes like you specify. I even tried externally modifying them to achieve the desired results, no go.

Excel offers 4 options for CSV's. I tried all except the macintosh version and none save them with double quotes on my PC natively. I can send you the files if you think it will help.

I even edited your original CSV in Excel and only modified the two columns values that I think I required as specified. So for you to think I haven't done as instructed or followed your guidance, then I guess I just chalk it up as a non-functioning feature for me.

Thanks for your effort.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:56 PM   #1101
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Your csv still is not saved from Excel with all cells double-quoted.
DaltonST
In his defense, the screen-shot you included (that had all the tooltips) CLEARLY shows that identifiers should be single-quoted.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 11:27 PM   #1102
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Try this:

"#shorttitle","identifiers"
"William W JohnstoneBetter Off Dead","'amazon':'B012KKDI88','ff':'j/william-w-johnstone/better-off-dead'"
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:41 PM   #1103
gstock97

@jmurphy

Thanks for the assist, but still no go. Below is the error output from yours.
CSV
Quote:
"William W JohnstoneBetter Off Dead","'amazon':'B012KKDI88','ff':'j/william-w-johnstone/better-off-dead'"
Error Log
Quote:
calibre, version 6.22.0
ERROR: JS+ GUI Tool: Identifiers: Format Error-invalid syntax. Perhaps you forgot a comma? (<unknown>, line 1) Value: {amazon':'B012KKDI88','ff':'j/william-w-johnstone/better-off-dead} --- identifiers must be in the format 'type':'val' (including the single quotes)
Tried to modify and remove the ff: identifier
CSV
Quote:
"William W JohnstoneBetter Off Dead","'amazon':'B012KKDI88'"
Error Log
Quote:
calibre, version 6.22.0
ERROR: JS+ GUI Tool: Identifiers: Format Error (') Value: amazon':'B012KKDI88 --- identifiers must be in the format 'type':'val' (including the single quotes)
Back to the original error. Again thanks for the assist.

gstock97
Old 07-04-2023, 12:32 PM   #1104
DaltonST
Deviser

Open a CSV file in a Text Viewer to see what the CSV file really looks like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
In his defense, the screen-shot you included (that had all the tooltips) CLEARLY shows that identifiers should be single-quoted.
In your defense, clearly you are ignorant of CSV file-save options, and do not know how to view a CSV file in a Text Viewer to see the 'real' CSV data.

The double-quotes are for the CSV cells, not the data, as I stated. The double-quotes are inserted by Calc/Excel during the save-as file save option which I referenced. The ToolTips are about what you "see" in Calc/Excel.

Open a CSV file in a Text Viewer to see what the CSV file really looks like without being manipulated by Calc/Excel.

From the .../calibre/plugins/job spy/resources/ example CSV file, as viewed by NotePad. Note the Identifier column. Example cell: ,"'zmyid':'0123456789'",

Calc automatically added the double-quotes per the Save-As > Edit Filter options as shown in the attached image.

I added the single quotes in Calc, as shown in the ToolTips.

Code:
"#bookid","added","title ","publisher ","pubdate","comments","tags","identifiers","series","#genre","#myyesno","#myserieslike","#mycomments","#mytaglike"
"25489","2019-01-01","Title1","DaltonST","1960-01-01","These are comments with many commas , and ,, and ,,, and here too ,.","Fiction:Science-Classic,Fiction:Science-Space Opera","'zmyid':'0123456789'","Kzin[1]","Fiction:Science","true","MySeries[1]","These are my comments.","Factual:Autobiography"
"26100","2019-01-01","Title2","DaltonST","1960-01-01","These are comments with no commas but with "double-quotes".","Factual:Biography","'zmyid':'0123456789'","Kzin[0]","Factual:Biography","false","MySeries[2]","These are also my comments","Fiction:Romance"
All of the above has been previously described over the years. Nothing new here.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calc save-as options .png
Views:	76
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	202445  
Old 07-18-2023, 06:18 PM   #1105
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Would it be much effort to show composite text columns in 'visualize metadata'? I would like to compare my read-status column.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:58 PM   #1106
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Hi, today I noticed this in my calibre-debug log:

Job Spy has begun initialization...
Calibre, and hence Job Spy, was gracefully shut down last time? True
Last time daemon started: never
Last time daemon failed: never
Total daemon starts inception_to_date: 0
Total daemon failures inception-to-date: 0
JS: ===>>> change_gui_alternating_row_colors()
wildcard specified in Job Spy last-viewed tool active library names, which includes: mylib
>>>[2] update_last_viewed_custom_column_automatically_con trol with source: initialization_complete 'method' object is not connected
Job Spy has finished initialization...

Probably harmless, but I thought I should report. Only JS feature I use regularly is the last-viewed tool.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:25 PM   #1107
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Would it be much effort to show composite text columns in 'visualize metadata'? I would like to compare my read-status column.
I like to check the timestamp visualization, from time to time. There's a noticeable spike in my books adding from May to August every year, not sure why.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:53 PM   #1108
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Is there any way you can offer a feature that would allow laymans terms for other plugins. The plugins that have .json files such as Goodreads Sync, or Tag Mapper. It's hard to see all the rules for each plugin but it there was a copy or something that I could read off line and outside the plugin its easier to see what there is, especially if I could see them in human read form. Does this make sense?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:49 AM   #1109
jtmart
jtmart began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air
Hi Dalton,

Your plugin works fantastically well, thank you for this!

My only longstanding issue is that when I click on the "Change the GUI text and Alternating row colors" nothing happens and the dialog box does not open (see image below). The other panes do open upon click, so the issue pertains to that menu entry only. The Calibre debug logs do not indicate anything problematic (see image).

This issue has been persistent for me for many years (five-six), on many versions of your plugin, both on Linux (Arch) and Windows (10/11) machines.

Do you have an idea on how to fix this?

Thanks for all your work,

Jean-Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot-from-2023-08-29-00-35-07.png
Views:	81
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	203423  

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-29-2023 at 05:56 AM. Reason: screenshot image too big
jtmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:01 AM   #1110
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice

@jtmart - regarding image sizes, see ==>> Guideline #9

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author aka, author pen name, colors, toolbag, toolbox, tools