Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
jflatto
jflatto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, ipad 2
Sending to Kindle

As a follow-up to a previous question, I want to send my books from Cailibre to my Kindle 1. Inside of Calibre, I tried "sending to Device" to Storage Card A. After having a couple of problems getting this to work, I decided to instead "save to disk" all the books in Mobi format onto my desktop. From there, I used Windows Explorer to copy the books to the 8 gb SD memory card in my Kindle (connected via USB).

Is using this two step process of saving to desktop and then copying over to the memory card the equivalent of using Calibre to directly "send to device"?

Associated with my previous question, I got all the books (roughly 700 books) onto my Kindle however I am unable to save any Bookmarks or current location information. Instead I get an error that my SD card is locked (which is isn't, I checked) or that there is no memory available to save this information. I have nothing on the Kindle's internal memory and am using roughly 700mb out of 8 gb on my SD memory card. Looking aj some other postings on the forum, I did delete any search indexes on both the Kindles internal memory as well as my SD card but this didn't help.

For each book I transferred, there was a mobi file as well as a opf file. No other file types.

Thanks.
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
As a follow-up to a previous question, I want to send my books from Cailibre to my Kindle 1. Inside of Calibre, I tried "sending to Device" to Storage Card A. After having a couple of problems getting this to work, I decided to instead "save to disk" all the books in Mobi format onto my desktop. From there, I used Windows Explorer to copy the books to the 8 gb SD memory card in my Kindle (connected via USB).

Is using this two step process of saving to desktop and then copying over to the memory card the equivalent of using Calibre to directly "send to device"?

Associated with my previous question, I got all the books (roughly 700 books) onto my Kindle however I am unable to save any Bookmarks or current location information. Instead I get an error that my SD card is locked (which is isn't, I checked) or that there is no memory available to save this information. I have nothing on the Kindle's internal memory and am using roughly 700mb out of 8 gb on my SD memory card. Looking aj some other postings on the forum, I did delete any search indexes on both the Kindles internal memory as well as my SD card but this didn't help.

For each book I transferred, there was a mobi file as well as a opf file. No other file types.

Thanks.
Are yo placing all the files in the root of the SD card? There are limited entries in the root that do not exist at the next level. (the lobby is full, please move to the next room )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
jflatto

On the SD card, there are three folders at the root directory - "Audible", "Documents" and "music" as well as a metadata.calibre file.

Under the "Document" folder are 46 folders, each corresponding to a single author. Open up any of the author's folder, there are folders corresponding to each book. Inside each book folder is a jpg file (book cover I assume), mobi file and opf file.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
No. Send to Device identifies your device first. Calibre then uses a driver that knows the special characteristics of your device. It may only send formats your device can handle. It may convert formats before sending. It may tell your device about the books. It may put them in a special location. What it does depends on your device.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
jflatto

Thank you very much. I manually deleted all the books from my Kindle's SD card and then used "Send to Device" from Calibre and it worked pretty well. Things appear to be working properly on my Kindle in terms of bookmarking.
Advert