Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
Archaegeo
Archaegeo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Does conversion format matter?

I just got my Reader and I was wondering if it matters the format you convert non native to.

Ie, if i want to convert a gutenberg text or a pdf into the Reader, should I just put them in and let the reader do its things? Or is it worth it to convert to the readers native format?
Archaegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's best to do a conversion.

For plain text files, if you have a carriage return at the end of every line, you'll see all the line breaks in Reader, and it won't look very good. The default text size is, for me at least, way too small. If you look in the "Reader Content" section of this forum you'll find a wonderful Word macro posted by Stingo which does a beautiful job converting text files into nicely formatted RTF for the Reader.

The problem with PDF files is that they are virtually always formatted for US Letter or A4 page size and hence they appear too small to read comfortably on the Reader. If you create a PDF specifically for the Reader, with the correct page size, that's fine, but you won't, I think, have much joy with PDFs you've obtained from elsewhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
All the outside content that I load in the Reader is now RTF formatted with Stingo's macro. It is easy to read, looks good, and can be enlarged if needed when my eyes get tired or the lighting is a bit too low.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
wiseman
wiseman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
That is a very encouraging fact. I will try it right now (the macro)! Quite difficult to reformat a word file for the reader right now.
wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote