Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Kobo pdf support

I know the kobo has pdf support, but does that require one to pan around the pdf to view it like on the Kindle? If I were to increase font size or zoom on, considering landscape mode do I need to pan to the right to finish a sentence?
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Yep. The Kobo doesn't have Reflow support, simple Zoom and Pan&Scan is all you have to work with. They've mentioned possible future Reflow support, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Whether you have to pan right to finish a sentence would depend on the page size of the PDF, and the font size you could comfortably read at.

If you want a good reading experience with PDF's on any small-screen mobile device, you should cook the PDF's with the page size that jives with the target screen size.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Yep. The Kobo doesn't have Reflow support, simple Zoom and Pan&Scan is all you have to work with. They've mentioned possible future Reflow support, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Whether you have to pan right to finish a sentence would depend on the page size of the PDF, and the font size you could comfortably read at.

If you want a good reading experience with PDF's on any small-screen mobile device, you should cook the PDF's with the page size that jives with the target screen size.

Is it possible to convert a document to do such? Id like to reflow the text, but want the general format to stick.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post

This is unfortunately true.

We originally thought it would be a lot easier to add PDF reflow than it ended up being. We tried turning it on in the code, but ran into a bit of a dead end (doh!) and couldn't get it in for end-of-June update along with all the other goodies.

We'll continue working on it and hopefully get it out to you guys soon.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
One thing that would help with pdf's if you can't reflow them is to have a bit more control over the scrolling somehow. Most of my pdf's would read fine if I could just get rid of the right margin. Scrolling to the right always goes too far though. Perhaps you could adjust the scrolling somehow? I'm not sure the best way to do this as sometimes a person might want to scroll as quickly as possible, and sometimes a half-scroll would be better. Or you could do a full right scroll, but if it was followed by an immediate left scroll you could do a half scroll back? That might center the page a bit better. Or is there an intelligent way to determine where text/images start and just hide the white space (margin) on the left? Some more zoom steps would be nice as well. I'd love something around 110% or 115%, 125% always seems to be too big.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
Is it possible to convert a document to do such? Id like to reflow the text, but want the general format to stick.
I'm not sure if this is what Stinger is suggesting, but one thing that can help is to crop the margins from a PDF so that the page size is smaller (and therefore the text size is bigger - maybe even big enough to read without zooming).

I'm fairly sure you can do with with Acrobat Pro if you happen to have a copy handy.

Briss is free, but I've not used it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

And there are a bunch of other suggestion here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6328
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Kaylendra
Kaylendra began at the beginning.

After a bit of fiddling (uploading, refiddling, uploading, refiddling), I've found a nice size of page for reading at "whole screen" setting on your Kobo.

Open Office

1. In your current document, or open a new document to create a "template" for yourself.

2. On the menu bars, go to Format then Page

3. When the box pops open, click on Page

4. You can either scroll in the Format to User, or just type numbers below (it will automatically change your Format to User)

5. Adjust the page size to:

Width => 5.00" (12.7 cm)
Height => 6.40" (16.3 cm)

6. Adjust the margins to:

Left => 0.22" (0.6 cm)
Right => 0.15" (0.4 cm)
Top => 0.11" (0.3 cm)
Bottom => 0.08" (0.2 cm)

7. Ok to finish out.

Microsoft Word

Same as above, however you will find your page size/margin setup under "File" "Page Setup"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Print or convert your document to Pdf, and you'll now have a small rectangular layout that fits well at "whole page" size in your Kobo.

Happy Converting!
Kaylendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylendra View Post
Print or convert your document to Pdf, and you'll now have a small rectangular layout that fits well at "whole page" size in your Kobo.
Keylendra, thanks for your little experiment.
Anyway, I just want to stress that people have complaints over
already made pdf files. They are intended to be read on big
screen and without any pan on mind. Nice would be to remade
those files to match the 6 inch screen. I assume Adobe has such
a tool, but will not try out or investigate further.
Call it "end of line" problem if you find proper.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
I really don't like the PDF format on the Kobo. That said, it was manageable once I put the book in landscape format (basically, turning it on its side). It still took about 3 clicks to read a whole page, but at least the text was a readable size and I didn't have to go sideways at all.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote