Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
rannbj
rannbj began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader touch
Manual synch epub pdf incompatibility Sony

Hi
I understand that in order to download files to my ereader, I must be satisfied with having only epubs or pdfs but not both at the same time. What I would like to do, is manually synch only the files that I would like on my reader, rather than have the software choose whether it will load pdfs first or epubs first.

I have also read that it is usually the first title's format that determines what files will be readable, and not present as "protected page." So, where in the world can I select manual synch? I don't find it in preferences nor in help. I have also searched help for "disable synch" again to no avail. Thanks for your advice.
rannbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Bunnieboop
Bunnieboop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Having the pdf and epub formats on your reader at the same time is only a problem with public library books. Otherwise, its not usually a problem. I am guessing that you are using sony's reader library software. If so, what you can do is make a collection for your pdf's and another for your epubs. Then go in to the sync button, uncheck all the boxes and then check only the collection that you want to sync. That should do it.

The other option is not to synch at all and drag and drop the books onto your reader instead.

Hope this helps.
Bunnieboop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
rannbj

further question..the important one!

Where is the synch button...I cannot find such an option (couldn't be because I am using xp?) I do already have my files in epubs or pdf folders.

Again, where are the synch preferences????

Thanks again
Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If you're using the Sony Library software, Synching should be automatic.

All you have to do is:
1. have at least 1 collection, or 1 book, in your library.
2. connect your Reader
3. in the left hand panel of the Library, click the triangle next to the Reader icon. This expands the REader contents
4. click the Sync icon in the Reader's contents
5. In the right pane, select the items you want to synch

Synch will occur automatically, or you can click the Synch Now button
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
That's an excellent question RANNBJ. I un-installed the Sony s'ware and am wondering whether I should download firmware if it exists, reformat the media and start over again.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
rannbj

Do not want full synch

Hi Doreenjoy,

I do know how to synch "automatically." I want to synch selectively. Whenever I synch my reader to the library, it assesses all books and synchs them all. What happens then, is that whichever book is synched first will dictate which file format will be readable, i.e., epub or pdf. Most of my downloaded books are from the public library, as I am a librarian.

The difficulty I am having is that I am reluctant to download a new book while I am still reading another. What has happened in the past is that I lose access to the book I am reading in favor of the new one recently synched.

For example, I have two unread epubs on my ereader. I download a pdf and an epub to my reader software. If I synch in my ereader I will gain the new pdf and lose acccess to the epubs already on my ereader.

Thus, I want to select only one format at a time, rather than taking on a complete synch.

Thanks! Any and all who may help.

Tags
manual synch epub pdf