Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
My review of the PRS-505 after one year...

My wife got me a PRS-505 for my birthday last year (December of 2008). We signed up for the Sony credit card and got $150.00 off, so it ended up being $150.00 instead of $300.00. I'm not sure I would have paid $300.00 for it, but for $150.00 I figured I'd give it a shot. I had seen one in a Borders bookstore and was very impressed by the e-ink technology. Also, I liked the idea of having e-books instead of physical books because physical books end up in boxes in the basement collecting dust. Also, I was one of those people that always had to have the hard-cover; I could never settle for the paperback version. Since I liked hardback books, was a little concerned that I would miss the experience of actually going to the bookstore, buying a book and bringing it home.

When I first got my e-reader, I fell in love with it. I liked the compactness of it and the fact that I could store literally hundreds of books on it including books (like the free classic books) that I would never otherwise bother with. I got the lightwedge cover and really liked that the reader, light and cover came in such a neat, compact unit.

I've been using the e-reader pretty regularly ever since. After over one year, I can definitely say that I remain completely pleased with my e-reader. I have read more books in the past year than I did probably in the five years preceding my purchase. I have read books that I never would have bothered with that have turned out to be some of my fravorites. I like how cheap the books are too. In addition to all the free books, I definitely have saved more money at the Sony store than I would have spent buying the hardcover editions at B&N or Borders.

I have since purchased the newer light-cover with the led arm attachment and slightly prefer that to the lightwedge cover. What I like the best is the fact that the cover folds back even when the light is not being used. With the lightwedge, you can fold the cover back but not the actual lightwedge. So if you read in the daylight, you have to either keep the lightwedge over the screen or flip it to the side but then it sticks out at 45 degrees so I wouldn't be able to fold the cover behind the book.

Anyway, I am completely sold on the e-reader. Well worth the money I paid. I've probably saved enough on books to pay for it at this point. It is, without a doubt, one of the best things I own.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
It's great to hear how a long-term user's got on. Glad you're still happy with your device.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've had a 505 for over two years and got one that was a window display for $170 and have been equally as happy with it. Now read way more books than I did pBooks.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I've had my 505 for just over a year too and I use it all the time; it is the best gadget I have ever bought, and still beats the latest devices, even those from Sony, because of its screen. Sony hit the sweet spot with the 505.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I also got my 505 almost a year ago and again from my wife (but as a 10yr anniversary gift). I still LOVE mine and like Ler0y Jenkins, have read more books than I had in many years.

When the nook was announced I was tempted to sell my 505 and get one but didn't and now with PRS+ I'm REALLY glad I didn't.

The only thing I wish is that OpenInkPot would work so my 505 would be totally open!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I also got my 505 almost a year ago and again from my wife (but as a 10yr anniversary gift). I still LOVE mine and like Ler0y Jenkins, have read more books than I had in many years.

When the nook was announced I was tempted to sell my 505 and get one but didn't and now with PRS+ I'm REALLY glad I didn't.

The only thing I wish is that OpenInkPot would work so my 505 would be totally open!
It's funny how most people seem to agree that they read more with an e-reader than they did prior to owning an e-reader. I think it's just really convenience. Books are easier to get, you can keep it next to the couch and just grab it whenever you want, and you can get a lot of otherwise expensive classic books for free.

I also agree that, based upon the current offering, the 505 is the best e-reader ever put out by Sony.

What is this PRS+ you refer to?
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
What is this PRS+ you refer to?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64510
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Yeah, love my 505's too.
I know what the reason was that I'm reading more now than the last number of years, it's because I can adjust the font sizes and don't need to wear my reading glasses. I wasn't able to read paper books because the print was too small.
And I did't like laptops /netbooks/itouch for reading because it was too bright on my eyes, Looking into bright screen.
The 505 has the best screen and it is portable and I like all the hacks that were done to it.
I didn't think I would like the ereader the first time I looked at them in borders and bought a netbook. But netbook only has 2 hours battery life and take 3 minutes to turn on and get to the point where I can read a book. Whereas the sony takes 1/2 second to turn on and has weeks of battery life.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've had my 505 for about 6 months, and I love it as well. It's quite possibly the best purchase I've ever made.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I love the 505 too. I've had it for almost a year now and never regretted the purchase even at a 300Euro price. It was just something I had to have.
I'm reading more now, too. Only thing I'm missing is panning when zoomed or that pdfs cannot be zoomed the same way as images.

PRS+ adds functions the reader doesn't have with the original firmware. My reader provides now (more or less) all functions I would have loved to see on it right from Sony.

This is the direct link to the Usermanual wiki. This should give you a good overview about the new functions.
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/UserManual
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I'm coming up on a year with mine. I don't know that I'm reading "more", but I am reading a wider variety of genres thanks to a lot of the books here and the freebies from Sony.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Over a year for me, and I still love it - I'd have a hard time reading a physical book now. I also agree that I've yet to see any better reader - including from Sony.

I'm reading books I wouldn't normally have read if I'd gone browsing in a bookstore. But that's not necessarily a good thing, as I find that there are still lots of things unavailable - so I end up getting something else instead. It's good because I'm being exposed to more, but also bad because I'm missing out on some things that I'd like to read. (This, however, isn't specific to my 505 - it's an overall comment on readers in general.)
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I am coming up on two years with my 505 and I still go nowhere with out it. If I can't find a digital version of a book, I am not likely to buy a paper version. I am that hooked. Of course, I am not getting rid of my paper library, despite my wife's insistence. My feeling is that a large portion is not available in ebook form, and likely never will be. Therefore, I need to keep the paper for when I want to read those books again.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #14
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Interesting that we're all so enthusiastic about the 505 - and Sony stopped making them!

I've had mine just over two years. I love it so much that I bought a second unit as a backup while they are still available.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's a great device, cheers for the long-term review! It has indeed encouraged me to read a lot more which can onle be a good thing!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote