Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
Kindle DX - screen cracked :(

Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick.

I've had my DX less than a month, and last night it fell off my nightstand. I thought it was OK, but when I went to turn it off from standby mode, it was definitely cracked.

I've been very careful with it, and it has an Amazon cover. I don't know how it happened, I guess it wasn't as stable on the nightstand as I thought. I had a Sony Reader for 2-1/2 years without problems. I feel like such an idiot.

Does anyone know Amazon's replacement policies? How much does a replacement cost? I sent an email through their support page, but I'd like to hear from ya'll.

Thanks.
Keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithd View Post
Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick.

I've had my DX less than a month, and last night it fell off my nightstand. I thought it was OK, but when I went to turn it off from standby mode, it was definitely cracked.

I've been very careful with it, and it has an Amazon cover. I don't know how it happened, I guess it wasn't as stable on the nightstand as I thought. I had a Sony Reader for 2-1/2 years without problems. I feel like such an idiot.

Does anyone know Amazon's replacement policies? How much does a replacement cost? I sent an email through their support page, but I'd like to hear from ya'll.

Thanks.
What a horrible thing to happen. Someday maybe they will make readers more break-proof.

The last I heard, they were replacing K2's for $180. I've not heard anything about a Kdx. Good luck tho!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
so sorry to hear this......
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh no! I've kinda imagined that (or spilling my bedside waterglass) on my Kindle2/Sony505.

I'll be interested in hearing what the repair charge would be.

Sorry!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll be interested in hearing what the repair charge would be.
I'll post it if I find out.

This stinks, and I had been pretty careful otherwise. I don't really blame Amazon. Like Jimmy Buffet said at the end of the song, "It's my own d**m fault!"
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll post it if I find out.

This stinks, and I had been pretty careful otherwise. I don't really blame Amazon. Like Jimmy Buffet said at the end of the song, "It's my own d**m fault!"
Karma to you for that. Again, its a horrible thing to happen, and each and every one of us who owns any device felt that "uh" in our hearts when we read your post.

Too many expect Amazon to replace the device if its broken from a fall, or myriad other reasons.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Karma to you for that. Again, its a horrible thing to happen, and each and every one of us who owns any device felt that "uh" in our hearts when we read your post.

Too many expect Amazon to replace the device if its broken from a fall, or myriad other reasons.
+1!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Well, I didn't expect it, but Amazon's got a customer for life. They agreed to replace it, no cost to me.

The reason the CSR gave was that it was the first time and it's still in the warranty period. The only two questions were how was it damaged (cracked), and was it dropped from higher than shoulder height (no). I would NOT suggest being careless with your kindle and counting on this! I was fully ready to take a big hit for my own stupidity, but Amazon decided that having a Customer for Life was better than outright charging me for the screen cost.

I'm still out my DX until the new one arrives, complicated by the fact that I'm stationed in Japan, so it's got to go to my Dad's house first. But given how it could have turned out, I'm OK with that!

I'm going to be much more careful. The Kindle gets its own dedicated resting place from now on!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh how wonderful!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Well, I didn't expect it, but Amazon's got a customer for life. They agreed to replace it, no cost to me.
WONDERFUL!!!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Terrific! I have heard wonderful things about kindle customer service, and I guess it is true. I always put my laptop in its sleeve when I put it down - maybe something like that would work for you?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:

The reason the CSR gave was that it was the first time and it's still in the warranty period. The only two questions were how was it damaged (cracked), and was it dropped from higher than shoulder height (no). I would NOT suggest being careless with your kindle and counting on this! I was fully ready to take a big hit for my own stupidity, but Amazon decided that having a Customer for Life was better than outright charging me for the screen cost.

I'm still out my DX until the new one arrives, complicated by the fact that I'm stationed in Japan, so it's got to go to my Dad's house first. But given how it could have turned out, I'm OK with that!

I'm going to be much more careful. The Kindle gets its own dedicated resting place from now on!
I have always raved about Amazons CS service.

I'm twice happy that you are getting yours replaced.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Outstanding, what a great resolution. It may have helped that you were honest with the Kindle service folks too. I work in a credit union and I take requests for fee refunds that begin with a mea culpa more seriously than I do people who jump on the offensive from the outset.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
Keithd

I think I was the most upset because I had been wanting a DX for a long time, then when I broke my Sony 505 (drunk, on train, not good for readers!) my wife said, "Why don't you go ahead and get that reader you've been wanting?" So when I broke it today, I felt like a total idiot.

And in case any lurkers are wondering - no, it's not all that fragile. It must have hit the corner of my dresser when it fell off, and the cover wasn't closed. if it had been closed or just fell flat on the carpet, it likely would have been OK. I didn't close the cover because I fell asleep reading, and just barely woke up enough to put the DX on my nightstand.

I'll post when the replacement gets here. Probably take a couple weeks. Thanks for the moral support everyone.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #15
Keithd

Wow - talk about customer service:
Shipment Date: November 9, 2009
Destination: *****, TX, US
Estimated Arrival: November 10, 2009

Geez - I didn't expect that! Sure, now it's gotta get to me overseas, but that's far above what I expected. Sorry if I'm posting too much, but after how my day started, this level of customer service is almost too much.