Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
lobo
lobo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Help - can't update my PRS-505 firmware

OK this is my last recourse, but at the same time I think from what I've seen it's also my best hope.

I have two PRS505s. I've tried updating the firmware on both and every time it hangs at the end of unzipping files, leaving the self-extractor window with 'please wait' - the first time I ended up going to bed and leaving it overnight: it still said the same thing when I came back in the morning.

I've emailed and called Sony support several times (the last time I was on for 45 minutes from a UK cell-phone; I'm not looking forward to the bill!), but no luck.

I've tried running the update both from within the library and by downloading the patch from the ebook store - no luck either way. I've aso tried running the updater on a different PC but again no change.

Is there a way to manually run the flasher? I've seen a few posts about SD cards, but none specifically about this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by lobo; 09-08-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo!
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Extract the exe with winzip/winrar/7-zip and run "PRS-505 Updater.exe" manually.

And next time ask here before spending money on international calls
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
lobo

That was one of the first things I tried after the 'official' advice got me nowhere - sorry should have said in my original post

And yes - I know i should have asked here first - better late than never You can thanks Sony though - if their support wasn't so bad I'd never have found you guys!

So, next suggestion?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So what happens after you run "PRS-505 Updater.exe"? Do you get the license agreement screen and then "Connect a PRS-505 to update" window? If not, do you see the process in the process list of Task Manager?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
lobo

The process appears in the task list, but there's no window or licence agreement. It's like I haven't clicked anything - apart from the phantom task!
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Progressor
Progressor began at the beginning.

First of all, you must have administrator's permissions on the computer. If you have them already, then try a different computer. I have experienced this problem myself and nothing helped until I used another computer, don't know the reason though... might be some software conflict.
Progressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard

Try also adding the exe to the DEP exclusion list.