Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
ePub, the Kindle and TeleRead: Time for MobileReaders to care about standards and DRM

Remember, the post was Bill McCoy's. As the guy running the TeleRead blog, let me sum up my own thoughts on the Kindle and the Kindle Store.

Several hundred thousand titles appear each year at the least. So, long term, the 150,000 or so Kindle titles are just a drop in the bucket whether you're thinking "best seller" or “Long Tail.” The Tower of eBabel has complicated life for publishers, and it's time for the Kindle to live up to earlier expectations and support the ePub standard through native rendering. That way, publishers would be more likely to do Kindle-readable electronic editions, not just help rival machines alone. One standard for all machines! See:

http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/08...-and-heres-why

As for our sustained campaign against eBabel and DRM--well, that's part of the TeleRead blog's mission as a serious voice on e-book issues. Those are the two big ones, and new angles emerge constantly. We offer news and analysis that you won't find elsewhere on the latest technology and important e-book-related products, but we try to do so without losing our soul. If ten years from now you want to be able to read the books you buy for your Kindle or other device, then it's time to care.

Maybe the MobileRead community needs to join with us in a serious way and mount a major campaign to get Amazon to adopt the ePub standard and have the Kindle render ePub natively. A focus on alternatives to traditional DRM would help as well. Amazon sells DRMless MP3s and should treat e-books the same. Not all publishers would go along, but many would from the start. And sooner or later the big boys would get religion. DRM is a threat to e-books as a serious, durable medium. Together, MobileRead and TeleRead independently persuaded Sony to give discounts to PRS-500 owners who couldn't upgrade. Coordinated efforts on the DRM/eBabel issue would help as well since we're the major voices out there.

Finally—a little detail. TeleRead is a major reason why ePub exists in the first place. We were lobbying Sony years ago for e-book standards. The site’s support of OpenReader forced the IDPF to get serious about standards at the consumer level and come out with ePub, which Sony then adopted. Now I’d like to see if we can eventually banish DRM from the retail scene and meanwhile get the IDPF to do a logo for nonencrypted ePub. Consumers needs to speak up rather than just do the fan-boy/fan-girl act and let Amazon walk all over them.

Happy e-bookin’,
David | 703-370-6540
drNOSPAMteleread.org
http://www.teleread.org/blog
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Monty Grue
Monty Grue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For these reasons, PDF is best avoided as an eBook format unless it's a book which has been specifically formatted for the screen size of the device on which it's being read.
I'd like to second that statement. The PDF format makes a very poor ebook. True, it is easy to convert in most cases, but it often looks like someone with developmental disabilities did the format. Nonstandard line breaks and paragraphs, page numbers, author name, and title inserted into the text. Authors occasionally hand out free copies of their work, e.g., Scott Sigler, but I find the conversions from PDF unreadable.

I find the content available for the Kindle quite good. The breaking point for having to buy a Kindle came after shopping in Borders one evening. I wanted Caught Stealing by Charlie Hutson, but it wasn't there. Sure, I could have special ordered it, but the point of a good bookstore is having the books you want when you want them. Sure, there are still more books I liked to see available as Kindle versions, but the Kindle books I can get are still doing better than an airport bookstore.

Last edited by Monty Grue; 08-14-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Monty Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For these reasons, PDF is best avoided as an eBook format unless it's a book which has been specifically formatted for the screen size of the device on which it's being read.
But, if it is done correctly, it can bring to the eBook reader the high-quality typesetting (paragraph shaping, indents, ligatures, line and word spacing...), graphics, equations, foreign letters, etc. that's usually only found in paper books.

I don't say PDF is perfect, it obviously has a serious lack in flexibility, but it's not necessarily something to blindly avoid.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote