Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Jules
Enthusiast
Jules began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to use mobipocket creator?

I want to publish a book of mine on amazon, so that it can be used on kindle devices. It was suggested to me that I format a book of mine using mobipocket creator. I downloaded this software, but I am having trouble figuring out how to use it. I tried importing a word doc of the file but after that, I couldn't figure out what to do next. Anyone have any ideas?
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Read my tutorial on the subject. It describes how to do it starting from HTML source, but save your Word doc as HTML and it's equally valid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Jules
Enthusiast

mobipocket creator

I opened your tutorial, and it talks a lot about having created a version of the book in book designer. I haven't done that. I don't have book designer software. Is this step something I really have to do, or is there another way?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that's just a way of getting the HTML. You already have that - save your Word Doc as HTML from within Word.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Jules
Enthusiast

mobipocket creator

I saved my word doc as a htm/html file and the layout got totally screwed up. Is that normal, or do I now have to go in and fix all the problems?
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket's documentaion for Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition is here. You could try following it for Word documents, but note that Creator converts from .doc to .html too. The main issue is likely to be the TOC, but this may be worth trying to see if it is good enough.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Jules
Enthusiast

mobipocket creator

Does anyone know if book designer is free or if it is software that I have to pay for? At this point, I feel so confused by this whole e-book conversion process, that I want to follow HarryT's tutorial step by step.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's free. See here. You'll probably want to read my separate tutorial (in the book uploads forum) explaining how to use it - it's not entirely self-evident.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Jules
Enthusiast

mobipocket creator

I am having difficulty locating the book uploads forum to read your tutorial on how to use book design. where should i be looking?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Here.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you install Book Designer,you also want to go to the thread on the Book Cleaner files and install them as well o your book might not be formatted properly for sale.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote