Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #721
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
You should definitely be seeing more than 247 MB since the internal storage is 4GB (minus space taken up by the OS). On my Aura, when I go to "Settings/Device information", around the middle of screen it says:

"Onboard storage: 2813 MB of 3242 MB available"
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #722
Mattskp
Mattskp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Yeah that is what i don't understand .
I set it up using wi-fi and when i went into settings /device information , i get onboard storage 101mb of 247mb. Bu after when i plugged it in my pc , i can see the storage at 3.16gb for the kobo device.
I really dont know if it is correct or if it did that on firmware update.
Mattskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #723
Mattskp
Mattskp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Well nevermind these posts as it seems that the wi-fi firmware update screwed this device information. I just did a factory reset and plugged it in my pc and started from scratch and all is well now.
So if it can help other user , try not to update your new firmware from the wi-fi.
Mattskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #724
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've updated over WiFi without issue.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #725
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've had my new Kobo Aura for almost a week now and I've been reading with it quite a bit since I got it. I guess it's time to give my opinion. Be warned, though, I also have a Paperwhite so that's what I'm comparing it with.

First, and this is why I bought it, I love the idea of the screen flush with the bezel and I really do like the small size and low weight. After holding this my Paperwhite feels like a rather large brick in my hand. Even with a cheap case on it it's lighter than my paperwhite without a case. This is what I wanted and this is what I got and I'm very happy about it.

Comparing the screens, while both screens are very good, the Paperwhite is the clear winner. It looks great. The Kobo is merely excellent. The Paperwhite screen is whiter and the text is darker and that means better contrast.

The font controls on the Kobo don't all seem to work with side-loaded books and that's a definite minus. I'm probably going to have to learn how to fix that in Calibre, an areas I'm not eager to get into but I guess I'm going to.

I've also found that the font controls don't work at all with mobi books. At least not with the 2 or 3 I tried. It's easy enough to make epubs whiich do let me control at least a few features of the fonts.

Even in books purchased from Kobo the additional font controls don't seem to be able to make the text look as good as the Paperwhite's defaults. That's not to say they look bad. They're more than acceptable. The Paperwhite is better.

With the Paperwhite I can manually sync after a reading session on my phone by using the text search. Either the Kobo doesn't have a text search or I haven't found it yet. It's easy to get to the right chapter and then find my place but not nearly as easy as with a text search. This is a problem I can live with but I promise to grumble about it a lot.

The big difference; where the Kobo is a big loser, is the store. And the company. I spent ten days trying to buy this thing because their website wouldn't take my credit card and I couldn't find a way to get through to Kobo's customer service. I already had an account with them because I've had a Kobo Mini for a year or two and my card was on file so I shouldn't even have needed to enter it. But I had to and I did and it reject it.

I was finally able to get through to their support people after posting a question in a forum somewhere and getting a reply that led me to their badly defective page that, asked me to put in my phone number and then rejected it because it didn't like the format. Of course there was no clue to the correct format. I spent an hour googling formats of Canadian phone numbers (I'm in the USA) to no avail. Finally I entered it with no format whatever, just the digits and that worked. It said I'd receive a call within 20 minutes.

Two hours later they finally called me an the guy I talked with was eager to help but he couldn't make it work either. He finally suggested I open a new account with a different email and try that. I did it and it worked. After about 10 more days I got my Kobo.

Every time I've gone on their site to find a book and found something I'd go to Amazon to compare prices and without fail Amazon is 50% to 100% cheaper. That's a huge difference. I've all but decided to buy Amazon books and convert them with Calibre.

So, which do I prefer? I wish I could decide. The Kobo is nice but it has a lot of problems. The Paperwhite is less nice with not many problems. It's a hard choice but the good thing is I don't really have to choose. I'll enjoy them both.

But Kobo, in case you're listening, if the new Kindle is the size and shape of the Kobo Aura, as some of the rumors say it might be, you guys are in trouble. You need to polish this thing a little more.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #726
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
With the Paperwhite I can manually sync after a reading session on my phone by using the text search. Either the Kobo doesn't have a text search or I haven't found it yet. It's easy to get to the right chapter and then find my place but not nearly as easy as with a text search. This is a problem I can live with but I promise to grumble about it a lot.
In an open book if you tap on the bottom of the screen, then tap the icon with 3 lines at the right side you will find the "search in book" option that you're looking for.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #727
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The font controls on the Kobo don't all seem to work with side-loaded books and that's a definite minus. I'm probably going to have to learn how to fix that in Calibre, an areas I'm not eager to get into but I guess I'm going to.
That's due to poorly designed books. Apparently the Kindle defaults to ignoring embedded fonts, which causes a different set of problems, I guess (like, er... embedded fonts not being displayed). If this happens with a purchased epub, complain and get a refund.

Quote:
I've also found that the font controls don't work at all with mobi books. At least not with the 2 or 3 I tried.
Good ol' mobis (not the recent Kindle incarnations) do not have embedded fonts, and their formatting is much more simple. This means it is much harder to create mobi books "broken" in the same way as epub books, and that's why font controls are more likely to work with a random mobi than with a random epub.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #728
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

Comparing the screens, while both screens are very good, the Paperwhite is the clear winner. It looks great. The Kobo is merely excellent. The Paperwhite screen is whiter and the text is darker and that means better contrast.
I think the reason is the extra layer on the Aura. Last night I compared all my lighted readers side by side, and they all had darker text than the Aura. I do believe there is an extra layer causing the effect.

Quote:
You can fix them with a little bit of hacking. Take a look at this thread, for instructions. I've done the hack to all my Kobos (though none of mine are running 3.5.0 so I can't speak for that one). It is definitely handy, since I use a side loaded font on all of my readers. (I also load all of mine through Calibre and they appear as kepubs not epubs.)

I had no idea the Aura could read mobi files.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #729
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
In an open book if you tap on the bottom of the screen, then tap the icon with 3 lines at the right side you will find the "search in book" option that you're looking for.
Thank you! I'm not sure how I missed that. I can't count the number of times I've looked for it.

Barry
Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #730
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Take a look at this thread, for instructions. I've done the hack to all my Kobos (though none of mine are running 3.5.0 so I can't speak for that one). It is definitely handy, since I use a side loaded font on all of my readers.
Thanks. I just read that page and downloaded the stuff but before I do it I want to think about it a bit and get to know the device a little more so if it causes problems I'll recognize them.

One problem with that post is it never really gives a clear description of what it does.

Barry
Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #731
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
One problem with that post is it never really gives a clear description of what it does.
I guess it could be a bit overwhelming for a first-time user. There are many little patches you can enable/disable as you prefer. If you use a text editor to open the *.patch files in one of the *_source directories you can find some more info in the comments (lines which begin with a #).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #732
Lemons
Enthusiast
Lemons began at the beginning.

Device: None
Got My aura in today, although never received notification for it and was told it was in processing. So far I am enjoying it, although don't have all the features like the in chapter tracking, the rest works with the plugin for Calibre and is a lot faster than my last Ereader and easier on the eyes, no more eye strain after half a hour of reading

The only downside is the three dead pixel's or light defects but I can deal with that, if its at 30% light can only notice one of them, love how clean it looks compared to the Nook and Kindle however and simple it was to remove tiles i did not want.
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #733
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
The only downside is the three dead pixel's or light defects but I can deal with that, if its at 30% light can only notice one of them, love how clean it looks compared to the Nook and Kindle however and simple it was to remove tiles i did not want.
My new Aura also had a dead pixel in it. It's most noticeable when the light is on. My Aura ghosts quite a lot, however. Opening menus, book covers/sleep screens, books, blocks of text - it all bleeds through quite visibly, sometimes building up in a few layers.

It took me two weeks to get anything set up with Kobo, but they are supposed to send me a replacement soon.

Other than that, I really do love the device. lol
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #734
Kudla
Kudla began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Aura
Question Difference between old and new Aura?

What would be the model# for the new Aura?

I just bought, what seems to be the old version of Aura on ebay. The model# is N514.

What is the difference between the old and new Aura?
Kudla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #735
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
My Aura One is Model #N709.

I think Model #N514 is for the Kindle Aura HD, which is no longer offered. The Aura HD comes with a 6" screen verses the 7.8" screen on the Aura One. Also, the new Aura One is at least $100 (or more) more expensive than a used Kindle Aura HD.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote