Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Is it possible to run programs?

I'm a newbee so be patient; maybe this has all been explored, but I couldn't find it on the site.

Has anyone written a firmware patch to allow a user to upload and run a program in native code (whatever that is). There is often a lot of room at the end of a prom for this stuff. What is the native code, by the way? Does the 505 use an SMC processor?

Since the 505 supports links and has plenty of buttons, one should be able to write programs to accept numerical input and do calculations. Depending on the usb controller we might even be able to connect a usb keyboard.

Does anyone know if the hardware supports pixel level screen updates so you don't have to update the whole screen with every screen event? Maybe you could connect a keyboard and a mouse?

Yeah, it might be a stretch, but if you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
I'm a newbee so be patient; maybe this has all been explored, but I couldn't find it on the site.

Has anyone written a firmware patch to allow a user to upload and run a program in native code (whatever that is). There is often a lot of room at the end of a prom for this stuff. What is the native code, by the way? Does the 505 use an SMC processor?

Since the 505 supports links and has plenty of buttons, one should be able to write programs to accept numerical input and do calculations. Depending on the usb controller we might even be able to connect a usb keyboard.

Does anyone know if the hardware supports pixel level screen updates so you don't have to update the whole screen with every screen event? Maybe you could connect a keyboard and a mouse?

Yeah, it might be a stretch, but if you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Mike
I think, from watching the forums around here and the internet, the PRS is the least hacked ebook reader you can find. The most hacked at the moment would be the iLiad which allows writing, pdf's and custom programs with a bit of work.

I am affraid, again as far as I know, you're out of luck for the moment.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
I think, from watching the forums around here and the internet, the PRS is the least hacked ebook reader you can find. The most hacked at the moment would be the iLiad which allows writing, pdf's and custom programs with a bit of work.

I am affraid, again as far as I know, you're out of luck for the moment.
Thanks, Jaapjan.

I've done some firmware mods. I might give it a try. It all comes down to free time. If anyone else has any info it would save some time.

Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Thanks, Jaapjan.

I've done some firmware mods. I might give it a try. It all comes down to free time. If anyone else has any info it would save some time.

Mike
All I can say is to look around these forums for some initial hints about what can be found. I am affraid I have never been paying too much attention to the Sony because it isn't sold here in Europe and I cannot be bothered with importing it from 'over there'.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
AFAIK, nobody's succeeded in actually running new applications on the Sony thus far; the only "open" eInk reader is the iLiad, which is more like an "eInk Tablet PC" than a dedicated reader. It's an "open" system on which pretty much any application can be installed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
See the Universal Flasher and its "run script" option for an example of running apps on the Reader. Currently released version doesn't work on 505 since flashing it is risky without an official firmware update but I might release a version without flashing support.
The Reader's OS is Linux and the CPU is ARM. Generally almost any glibc-based toolchain works; two examples of compiled binaries are bundled with Universal Flasher (stat_fs and libfskLoad.so). You can download Linux sources for Reader at http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/.
There are sources there for both USB controller and E-Ink drivers. USB controller is Epson S1R72V17 and it does have USB host support, but there's no such support in the driver. So even if the USB port can work in host mode, one would need to write a driver for that.
As for E-Ink, it definitely does support partial updates - check the menu navigation with up/down arrows.
See here for hardware details:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2172951...7603454047408/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Even if you installed a new application on the Reader, though, how would you run it? On the iLiad, you can simply run a script through the file browser - there's no way to do something similar on the Reader is there? Forgive me if I'm wrong about that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can run it instead of the main UI app. Or implement a plugin, selectable from the menus, for example. You can even just use the autorun.xml option and not change the firmware at all. There's a lot of possibilities.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks, Jaapjan.

Mike
The 500 has some really nice mods but the 505 has not released a firmware update yet so people don't have an image to take apart. I suspect that once there is a firmware upgrade the mods will start.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
See the Universal Flasher and its "run script" option for an example of running apps on the Reader. Currently released version doesn't work on 505 since flashing it is risky without an official firmware update but I might release a version without flashing support.
The Reader's OS is Linux and the CPU is ARM. Generally almost any glibc-based toolchain works; two examples of compiled binaries are bundled with Universal Flasher (stat_fs and libfskLoad.so). You can download Linux sources for Reader at http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/.
There are sources there for both USB controller and E-Ink drivers. USB controller is Epson S1R72V17 and it does have USB host support, but there's no such support in the driver. So even if the USB port can work in host mode, one would need to write a driver for that.
As for E-Ink, it definitely does support partial updates - check the menu navigation with up/down arrows.
See here for hardware details:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2172951...7603454047408/

Thanks Igorsk, you've given me a lot of starting places. I'm very impressed.

Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
USB controller is Epson S1R72V17 and it does have USB host support, but there's no such support in the driver. So even if the USB port can work in host mode, one would need to write a driver for that.
I'll look for an Epson S1R72V17 driver with host support and see if I can Frankenstein the host code with the Reader's native driver or vice versa.

Thanks for the great info.

Mike