Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast
cmhsieh54 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Too many notes to merge completely -- HELP

Hi all,

So, I have a bit of a problem...

I have been marking up a 145-page document pretty completely. A lot of notes. Just now I went to merge the entire document with my notes, and the companion software hit p.45 and then just STOPPED merging. A few seconds later, it told me that the merge process was complete but that there was an error on p.45.

I went to open the merged file but there was nothing wrong with the merge on p.45. Instead, five pages later, on p.50, that's where the merging ended.

I went to check file sizes. The original document was 845 kb and my imperfectly merged file was 10.5 mb. Is there a max limit to how much notes can be merged? How is this calculated?

So now, I've got a slight problem. I want to merge all 145 pages of my notes into the file. Obviously, the slow but certain method would be to erase my notes and then somehow re-copy them later, throughout doing a few merges to merge my 145 pages of notes 45 pages at a time, but I'm not even sure how I'd get that to work (take pictures of my notes with a camera???)...

Suggestions or advice appreciated!!! Am I missing something obvious???

-cmhsieh54
cmhsieh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
It doesn't sound as if you are doing anything wrong. It may be that some corruption has got into the metadata file though.

If you had a Mac I'd suggest trying to use one of the alternative merging softwares created by users on this forum, but I'm not sure if they have Windows versions.
Certainly Merged files can grow to some extraordinary file sizes and I've had 50Mb files created with very small starting documents.

Make a copy of the document and the metadata.db file and move the copies into another directory on your PC and try the merge software on those.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast

Thanks pthwaite for your answer.

How do you run the merge software on files on the computer? I've searched and searched, but I can't find the way to change to a directory other than the directories on the iRex itself (i.e. the ones on the SD card).
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast

I'm gonna try and redeem just a bit of my mobileread karma here...

If any of you think you'd be able to help me, please contact me at cmhsieh54@yahoo.com . I have the files on my faculty webpage for easy download. I'd just rather not publish that link for everybody to see, for fear that I'll see my faculty webpage hits explode and my head will grow too big.

-cmhsieh54
Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

cmhsieh54, see PM in your above yahoo mailbox

Howard
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #6
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
cmhsieh54,

It is a known issue that the Companion Software will hit some internal limit when merging documents with lots of scribbles. Where this limit is exactly, is unknown. Some of reported this after 20 pages of scribbling, you hit it only after 45 or 50 pages.

The only known workarounds are using the third party merging software available here on MR or the laborious task of deleting all scribbles that did merge correctly and then merge again and repeat until all scribbles have been merged.

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic

cmhsieh54,

I've sent you a PM with the file merged, and as far as I can tell, all scribbles. Check it and let me know.
The file has grown from just under 1Mb to just under 6Mb which is a bit of a feature of merging but it seems to have worked.

All the best, Howard
Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
cmhsieh54
Enthusiast

Thanks Howard,

The merged file that you sent is great! A PM sent to your email address...

Cheers,
-cmhsieh54
Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I've sent you a PM with the file merged, and as far as I can tell, all scribbles. Check it and let me know.
The file has grown from just under 1Mb to just under 6Mb which is a bit of a feature of merging but it seems to have worked.
So what was the solution? Was it a third party app on a mac that works better than the irex app?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic

Yes, I used the irextools app from thomega, with Ghostwheel's little script (its post 43 I think) which is for the mac.
If you do a search amongst the post on alternative merging you should find the links I think.
I've had it since then and it's never failed yet

Last edited by pthwaite; 10-16-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: finding the file and creator references