Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #106
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Your library (and it looks like most others) is obviously much richer than mine. Mine has zero copies. Ten "new" titles added in the last 30 days. Such "new" titles include publlic domain.
It's a consortium that serves the whole state. It appears to be well-funded at this time, but a few years ago they were struggling with pdfs of 10-year-old romances...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #107
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
They're all up for holds at my library. I won't be downloading them (I have a the British and American sets), just because I've reread them so many times and who knows if my hold turn will come when I'm in the mood to reread?
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #108
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My library has 10 copies of each of the books. Unfortunately, they are all audiobooks and epubs. No kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #109
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think that the EPubs will have a Kindle capability. ie when your turn comes up they will ask you which one you want. This is pure speculation on my part but JKR has a Kindle so i cannot see her not having these books available for a Kindle. It could be that the libraries or the system is just processing things as EPub only for the moment.

I also think that she is using this to gage whether people really want these books as ebooks and the more people on the waiting list, the more clear it is that there is a demand. Worse case scenario: there is no Kindle version and you cannot download the EPub copy. It doesn't really hurt you or anyone else but you are counted as having an interest.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #110
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Well, I placed a hold on it. I think I am the first one on the list. If it is an epub, then I just will let the hold expire after 3 days and someone else can get it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #111
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I think that the EPubs will have a Kindle capability. ie when your turn comes up they will ask you which one you want. This is pure speculation on my part but JKR has a Kindle so i cannot see her not having these books available for a Kindle. It could be that the libraries or the system is just processing things as EPub only for the moment.
Don't the books have to be available for sale on Amazon in order for them to appear on Overdrive?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #112
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Don't the books have to be available for sale on Amazon in order for them to appear on Overdrive?
That was my understanding. How else can Amazon try to market to you?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #113
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
That was my understanding. How else can Amazon try to market to you?
More fundamentally, how else can Amazon supply the book. Which is how they do it now.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #114
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
More fundamentally, how else can Amazon supply the book. Which is how they do it now.
^ This
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #115
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Yes, it's the supply issue. Amazon is the only source of DRMed Kindle content. Since Amazon won't have the book, then it won't work. You can read them on a Fire, though. (Using an Epub reader app)
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #116
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Or, it's possible that they will be available from the Kindle store on launch day.

If that's the case, though, it would be odd to not have them up yet for pre-order.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #117
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Except that they have not announced that the e-books are being sold. Putting the Kindle version up would tell folks in the know that they are planning to sell the books as well as loan them through the Library. Maybe they are trying to avoid that for some silly reason.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #118
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Except that they have not announced that the e-books are being sold. Putting the Kindle version up would tell folks in the know that they are planning to sell the books as well as loan them through the Library. Maybe they are trying to avoid that for some silly reason.
Occam's Razor would seem to indicate that they won't be available through Amazon any time soon.

Why give up the pre-orders if you're trying to gauge interest, as people have been theorizing she's doing? Pre-orders are THE way to gauge interest. Far more so than libraries.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #119
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I sent off an email to my library asking for them to get these. I let them know other libraries are already putting people in hold lines and begged nicely for them to do the same. We'll see if I get a response.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #120
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Anyone heard yet what the individual cost per book is to libraries? I'm curious to know.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote