Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
VLMaples
VLMaples began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Book scanner looking for Mac solutions

Hi! I am a stay at home mom and caregiver to a disabled husband and daughter. We volunteer making books print accessible to people with disabilities. I REALLY want to go all Mac, but my OpticBook 3600 is PC only and wondered if there are any Mac book edge scanners and more "industrial" software since I scan over 100 books a year. I would easily double that with a feasible Mac solution.

Thanks!
Valerie
VLMaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

I do not have a Mac and do not understand a thing about them, but the beta file for Mac (http://plustek.com/usa/products/opti...downloads.html) in Plustek’s website could not help?

Another possibility would be to run a widows solution on a Mac via per example parallels (http://www.parallels.com), or other similar solution, and than install the windows software for the opticbook on it…

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
VLMaples
VLMaples began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for taking the time to write. I should have written more about what I had done. I have tried the OpticBook Mac driver, but it was very primitive and could not interface with OCR software. It is strictly a page at a time, and not practical for large books; fine for a couple of pages, if it works. I then went tried Parallels at one time, and Fusion another, but it slowed to a crawl on the Internet side (for uploading work to the volunteer site) and that just wasn't cutting it. So, I finally went to Boot Camp, but having to restart multiple times a day was just making me crazy. So, I am hoping to find a Mac solution ideally. Does that help some? I am a full time caregiver for my husband and daughter, so I need things to run fluidly and my Macs just do...
VLMaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Well, you do no really need a scanner. You can photo each page. There are some homemade solutions like showed in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSrk31FSwmw
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

You could always try Vuescan - download the trial version and see if it works.

As far as doing OCR is concerned, I have IRIScan Pro which seems to work reasonably well.

But depending on what Mac you have you may be best installing Windows using the Basecamp Setup Assistant and running ABBY Finereader. Whether this is the best solution for you is going to depend on how much scanning you do - if you are planning on scanning a lot of pages then it could well be worth shutting down and rebooting into Windows.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
book edge, mac, opticbook, scanning