Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #4111
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Jury Duty, eh?

HARRY HAS TO BLOW UP THE COURTHOUSE FENDING OFF MONSTERS WHO CONTROL THE LAW!!!
That's a good one.
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #4112
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
So I think I'm going to start reading the Codex Alera series later this year. Or, at least, reading the first one and see how it goes. It's not the sort of thing I'd usually read. If it wasn't by Jim, I probably wouldn't look twice. But it is. And I love Jim. And Jim's hair.

Jim's hair would want me to read it, I think.

Yes.

But first, the next Kate Daniels book comes out the day after my birthday, according to the Amazon page. I may or may not pre-order. I'll decide this weekend.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #4113
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
So I think I'm going to start reading the Codex Alera series later this year. Or, at least, reading the first one and see how it goes. It's not the sort of thing I'd usually read. If it wasn't by Jim, I probably wouldn't look twice. But it is. And I love Jim. And Jim's hair.

Yes.

But first, the next Kate Daniels book comes out the day after my birthday, according to the Amazon page. I may or may not pre-order. I'll decide this weekend.
Make sure you at least finish the first book in the Codex if you think you might give up on the series. I loved the whole series, but thought that the first one was difficult to understand, almost as if you were supposed to have read a primer on the geography, history and various magics and Furies before beginning the story. Once you get into it though, it's a good swords and sandals type fantasy read.
Tavi is no Harry, but he's got his moments.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #4114
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kate Daniels

Quote:

Yes.

I abandoned reading the Kate Daniels series the middle of Magic Rises. I'd lost interest in the characters and the story line as well as reacting negatively to what I perceived as highly gratuitous violence.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #4115
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyMore View Post
That's a good one.
Probably vampires, since we have evidence that they control the police. Maybe Mavra is back and trying to get Harry arrested so he's easy meat.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #4116
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Make sure you at least finish the first book in the Codex if you think you might give up on the series. I loved the whole series, but thought that the first one was difficult to understand, almost as if you were supposed to have read a primer on the geography, history and various magics and Furies before beginning the story. Once you get into it though, it's a good swords and sandals type fantasy read.
Tavi is no Harry, but he's got his moments.
If you finish the first book you won't give up on the series. The books keep getting better as they go. I neither like Pokemon nor Roman Legion, but Jim puts them together so nicely ...

Great series.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #4117
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If you finish the first book you won't give up on the series. The books keep getting better as they go. I neither like Pokemon nor Roman Legion, but Jim puts them together so nicely ...

Great series.
I read -- and finished -- the first book.

Someday I may even decide to try the second.

Although clearly he must've been doing something right or else no one would read it... still doesn't mean it grabbed my interest.

There are lots of books out there, and lots of good books out there, and STILL, not everyone likes any particular book. Just because Codex Alera "gets better as they go" doesn't exempt it from that rule.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-23-2014 at 10:57 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #4118
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I read the Codex Alera and although I read a lot of Fantasy and SF and absolutely love the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera did not do much for me. I read the series, but it is not even close to the Dresden Files when it comes to storytelling in my opinion. The main story was not bad, but I did not like his writing style in the series.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #4119
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:

Yes.

I loved Codex and would happily be reading more of those books if he was writing them. I dropped Dresden a while back (I know, I know, I know, wrong topic for me) but loved Codex. There is so much more that he could do with it.

The first book is by far the slowest of the books, mainly because he is setting up a new world. The rest of the books move very nicely and are highly entertaining.

ETA: I just looked at the new Amazon Manage your content page and sorted oldest to newest just to see what my first book was. Captains Fury:Codex Alera Book 4. heheheh

So my first ebook purchase was Codex Alera. Awesome

Last edited by ProfCrash; 07-23-2014 at 01:22 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #4120
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I read -- and finished -- the first book.

Someday I may even decide to try the second.

Although clearly he must've been doing something right or else no one would read it... still doesn't mean it grabbed my interest.

There are lots of books out there, and lots of good books out there, and STILL, not everyone likes any particular book. Just because Codex Alera "gets better as they go" doesn't exempt it from that rule.
Right. Should have said if you finish and liked it, then the others will be even better.

Different writing style than Harry? Of course, first person and third person. Different universe. And still they have similarities - e.g. having a underdog super hero. Or how family trees are set up, or how they are slowly revealed and are meaningful. And the need to know attitude - Jim Butcher does not give out information that is not important. Most of it will become meaningful later on. If it doesn't come back later it is not important enough to tell.

Look at Dresden Files: we are in book 15 now, and he is still explaining rules of the universe. It is not just the story that is progressing but the readers understanding of the world.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #4121
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Skin Game 2nd re-read...

Now I'm going to begin my second re-read of Skin Game.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #4122
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Now I'm going to begin my second re-read of Skin Game.

Good, pay attention on how Harry answers the questions. Some he answers truthfully and some the exact opposite of what he meant.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #4123
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Yessir...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Good, pay attention on how Harry answers the questions. Some he answers truthfully and some the exact opposite of what he meant.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #4124
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:

BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #4125
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:

Fine, don't do it. Except the little kink of: Don't think about a purple elephant. Even if you don't want to, you will pay attention to it - just to tell me later you did not.

Good thing you are using the actual reading this time and not Listening. The audio version may be good, but might make you miss some snarks.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy