Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As already mentioned, Pages is a great app. Not a full-featured word processor, but nice.

Scrabble is a great game app. I play against the computer.

Comics by Comixology is the best app I know for reading comics and graphic novels. Downside: Frequent crashes.

iOrgel HD is a music-box app that's just plain fun. Like a real music box, it's capabilities are limited, but it a blast to play with. Downside: Music files can't be uploaded to a computer, and unlike a real music box, it never winds down.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #47
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
As already mentioned, Pages is a great app. Not a full-featured word processor, but nice.

Scrabble is a great game app. I play against the computer.

Comics by Comixology is the best app I know for reading comics and graphic novels. Downside: Frequent crashes.

iOrgel HD is a music-box app that's just plain fun. Like a real music box, it's capabilities are limited, but it a blast to play with. Downside: Music files can't be uploaded to a computer, and unlike a real music box, it never winds down.
I didn't try scrabble, I read reviews that showed users were rather frustrated with it due to the computer refusing valid words and inventing others. But maybe that's only the French version.

Word with friends is nice because you can play with online friends. Hanging with friends is great too, although it doesn't have an iPad version. I'm FlorenceArt on both if anybody wants to play. The only downside for me is that there is no French version. My mother would love to play too, but she can't speak English.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #48
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Hmmm... I just downloaded Yelp to give it a try... It couldn't recognize my location so I had to point it to it on the map, but it doesn't know about the 2 restaurants within 500 m of where I live. I searched for Istanbul, where I'm going next week, and it didn't recognize the name. Then I made a search for restaurants in Paris and found 20. I guess the app must be useful to someone, but that's certainly not me.

Update: for Paris, Urban Spoon gives me a choice of three cities in the U.S. Double hmmm...
There is a Paris, Texas. .

Here are 10 awesome Travel Apps, according to business insider

LINK
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #49
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
THe Atlantic magazine app is good, when it works. Crashes often, though.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, here's a screenshot of that iOrgel HD music box app I mentioned earlier. The wind-up crank can't be seen very well in this shot because it is turned sideways. More screenshots and info at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iorge...378451492?mt=8.

Here's the screen you use for composing your tunes (not unlike the old piano-rolls for player-pianos):

Like I said, it's very limited, but fun as all get out and a great time-waster.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-08-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #51
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
BTW, here's a screenshot of that iOrgel HD music box app I mentioned earlier. The wind-up crank can't be seen very well in this shot because it is turned sideways. More screenshots and info at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iorge...378451492?mt=8.

Here's the screen you use for composing your tunes (not unlike the old piano-rolls for player-pianos):

Like I said, it's very limited, but fun as all get out and a great time-waster.
That looks totally cool.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #52
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, iOrgel looks neat!

I have a few sound apps too, though I don't use them very often, I am definitely a visual person.

Thicket is a very simple and enjoyable app. It shows lines one the screen with a simple music, and you can interact with your fingers and by moving the iPad.

Aeolian Harp is much richer, but maybe because of this, I never quite got the hang of it. You draw dots or line and they move around and bounce on each other, creating sounds in the process.

SoundPrism is a simple music-making app with a very easy and nice looking interface. There is a free version that you can try before buying, I think. Of the three, I'd say this one has the best potential, but I can't really say I have done much with it.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #53
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
[QUOTE=WT Sharpe;1735235]Comics by Comixology is the best app I know for reading comics and graphic novels. Downside: Frequent crashes./QUOTE]

Have you tried Comic Zeal? It has performed flawlessly so far (and I read a fair amount of comics/graphic novels weekly). The biggest downside is that its a paid app ($8), but its worth it (I sideload all my comics, BTW).
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Have you tried Comic Zeal? It has performed flawlessly so far (and I read a fair amount of comics/graphic novels weekly). The biggest downside is that its a paid app ($8), but its worth it (I sideload all my comics, BTW).
I have Comic Zeal 4, but I don't recall paying for it (maybe I did, or maybe I have a free version). They offer many old comics that seem unavailable elsewhere, such as the old Forbidden Worlds and Eerie comics from the 50s and early 60s. It's a nice app, and it's nice to see some of those comics, but can't compete in my opinion with the "Guided View™ Technology" of Comixology's Comics app that "solves the problem of reading comics on the small screen." (That quote, which comes from Wired.com, appears on their website.)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #55
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
I have Comic Zeal 4, but I don't recall paying for it (maybe I did, or maybe I have a free version).
Just check the App Store link - its a paid app.

Quote:
(...)"solves the problem of reading comics on the small screen." (That quote, which comes from Wired.com, appears on their website.)
I read on the iPad, so I've no "problem of reading comics on the small screen" to be solved

But I might give it a try anyway, specially since its free
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #56
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
YES!!! Thank you for the recommendation, I don't know why I missed this app. I tried a number of comic book apps and all were very disappointing, not in terms of the apps themselves (though they do have a tendency to instability), but in terms of content. The only one I found with content that interests me is the DC Comics app, but by definition it is limited to that publisher. They do have some good free content though, so I'll probably keep that one and delete all the other apps except for Comics.

I like the interface, it's clean and it works, though I don't think anything can "solve the problem of reading comics on a small screen". A comic book page is designed as a whole and is best viewed as a whole. But Comics has options to display the whole page at the end and/or beginning of a page, when you are reading cell by cell. It's not perfect but it works.

But the best thing is the content, or at least that's my first impression, I hope it will last. I just downloaded a free sample of Hellboy, read it and then bought the whole first volume. And I see there are some DC comics too. I need to explore the catalog, but so far it looks good.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:13 AM   #57
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Well, it looks like I already deleted the worst comic book apps I had tried. One that remains is Comics +. the interface is not as good as Comics but the content is different, including a mini-series called I Was Kidnapped by Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space, which as the title implies is utterly silly and rather fun.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #58
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I take all my notes on my iPad - I've replaced paper since last November - using Note Taker HD for hand written, and mostly the normal Notes app for the rest (plus Penultimate for scribbles - the sort of thing you might note down on a block of paper notes or post-its). The thing that Note Taker does is have a zoomed window so that you can write larger than it eventually appears, coupled with automatically advancing where you're writing so that you don't have to endlessly press buttons or fiddle with the interface, but can just write.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I didn't try scrabble, I read reviews that showed users were rather frustrated with it due to the computer refusing valid words and inventing others. But maybe that's only the French version....
TRUE STORY: I couldn't believe what happened earlier today when I was playing Scrabble—the iPad got mad and insulted me! I used four of my tiles to form the word, "SLUT" and the computer immediately shot back "TWIT"! Do these things run any A.I. programs? I feel like my iPad took that SLUT entry personally.

And yes, it happened just that way.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #60
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
TRUE STORY: I couldn't believe what happened earlier today when I was playing Scrabble—the iPad got mad and insulted me! I used four of my tiles to form the word, "SLUT" and the computer immediately shot back "TWIT"! Do these things run any A.I. programs? I feel like my iPad took that SLUT entry personally.

And yes, it happened just that way.
Well, you started it after all...