Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
andersonb47
andersonb47 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Not showing up in Computer

The manual says that when I plug it in a drive called READER should pop up in Computer, but when i plug it in Removable Disks I: and J: pop up, and when i click on them it says insert disc. What should i do?
andersonb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Which Windows version are you in, and does the reader show up in the software you are using to manage your ebooks? (And which software is that, btw?)
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
andersonb47

I'm using windows 7, and I just got this so I dont really know how to use it. I'm not using any software at this time.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you just got it, the two driver letters sounds about right. Windows 7 is going to let you open either "drive" and explore the contents. If it doesn't, leave the reader plugged in, and reboot the computer.

You will need to create an Adobe account for the DRM, or log in to your existing account if you have one. You will also need to get the Sony Reader Library (click that link to get to a downloadpage) and authorize the computer and 950 to a Sony Reader Store account. After that, you can sync between the store on your computer and the store on your reader, and either use Reader Library to manage your books, or use other software if you prefer.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
andersonb47

I can't open either drive, and when i left the reader plugged in and restarted it didnt change anything.
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Download the Sony software and set it up, and see if it can see the 950. If it can, set up the reader there. If it can't, there might actually be something wrong with your shiny new friend.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
andersonb47

Didnt work
Old 08-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonb47 View Post
Didnt work
Ouch....

Still have the receipt, right? If you just got it, it might be easier to just take it back to the store and ask for a replacement. Or, of course, you can stick around for a while and wait for someone who's had their 950 a bit longer than I have, and knows a few more tricks.

Oh. Almost forgot... welcome to MobileRead!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Reader Library doesn't work?

You could also try running Check Disk on both drives.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
andersonb47

When i tried the disk check it said that windows cant access the disk. and i cant return this as it was a gift
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Can you do a hard reset, or reformat the reader from the Settings menu?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
andersonb47

All i seem to be able to do is format the internal memory
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I kept thinking... since you can format the internal memory, obviously the 950 isn't dead. Try "buying" free books from the Sony Store and see if that works and if you can read them. If you can, the issue might be with either the USB port or cable you were using. Oh, and can you test the reader in a different computer?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
eBookboy
eBookboy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS300
Agree, try another USB port, or if you are using a desktop try connecting the reader at the back.

Also, check if your computer has USB 3.0 may not work, the Sony Reader supports only 2.0 =(

eBookBoy
eBookboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookboy View Post
Also, check if your computer has USB 3.0 may not work, the Sony Reader supports only 2.0 =(
It transfers data in USB 3, but won't charge. At least, if I remember right, that's what my laptop does. If it really matters I'll move back to the laptop and test, but I'm gaming on the big tower right now.