Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #16
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
450 collections! Yikes! I find that when you fetch metadata in calibre it adds lots of tags too and so I've turned off downloading tags.
I can turn that off??!? How? Where? I would LOVE that!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I can turn that off??!? How? Where? I would LOVE that!
Calibre recently changed the layout of the Edit Metadata window so you have much more control, but now some of the items are buried in submenus. In the Edit Metadata window, find the very large Download Metadata button and notice the very tiny settings icon to the right of it. Click that icon to "change how calibre downloads metadata". In the new window that opens up you can uncheck the boxes for the metadata fields that you don't want to download such as tags. Alternatively, you could set a maximum number of tags to download so that you only get a handful rather than dozens for some books. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No wonder I couldn't find it! Thank you!

I've set it to download only title and author now. That should keep things considerably cleaner.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
In the Edit Metadata window, find the very large Download Metadata button and notice the very tiny settings icon to the right of it.
Very tiny button, very funny. I was looking for someway the button could be configured to be small. Couldn't find a way to change my large Configure download metadata button to be small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I've set it to download only title and author now. That should keep things considerably cleaner.
You can also configure each metadata source. I only download tags from Goodreads. This metadata plugin allows you to map Goodreads tags to the format you prefer. I have about 280 Goodreads tags mapped to about 240 tags that make up my tag list. I know this is a finite amount and my tags will not run out of control. The plugin comes with around 60 mapped tags, I shared my expanded but still finite set of mappings in a json file detailed in this post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
The most famous looooong loading time I have read about on here was the guy who spent a couple of weeks working out how to load over 3000 books onto his PRS505 by arranging his ebooks in a series of folders. I think he said it took 1 1/2 hours to rebuild the database after he disconnected it from the computer
The obvious question is WHY !
I keep about 200 on my PRS 650 which takes about 30 seconds to refresh and is enough for a couple years of reading.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
The most famous looooong loading time I have read about on here was the guy who spent a couple of weeks working out how to load over 3000 books onto his PRS505 by arranging his ebooks in a series of folders. I think he said it took 1 1/2 hours to rebuild the database after he disconnected it from the computer
I keep about 200 on my PRS 650 which takes about 30 seconds to refresh and is enough for a couple years of reading.
The answer to this question remains the same no matter how many times it's repeated by however many different people!!! Choice... what happens if I finish a book and my mood is such that none of my vast 200 odd books meet what I feel like reading right now... I have a portable, pocket library which works wonderfully with 25K books on it... I never have to worry about what to read because I can always find something on my eReader no matter what my mood... and who gives a damn about maybe never finishing everything I've got... I don't care, I'd be a really irritated if I fancied reading something I'd come across previously but not bothered with as "I'll never have time to read it," it doesn't matter, what I care about is having, what I might want to read sometime, available any time...

If that's not your way then fine, you like what you do and others like the way they do things... if you don't understand our way then, frankly, that's your problem, I understand your tight and limited needs but what I can't understand is your inability to appreciate others differ...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
No, the obvious question is how on earth anyone manages to make 200 books last a couple of years. I've never read a book I would be willing to re-read that many times! Or are they all "The Complete Works of <insert name of ridiculously productive author here>?

The reason I want all my books on my reader is because I can. You might not understand that reason, but you don't have to, anymore than I have to understand yours. You do things your way, I do things my way, and we'll both be happy that way.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #23
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Ouch ! Looks like I hit a nerve there with the ubergeeks. I used to be one of them once upon time
I have no issue with people putting thousands of ebooks on their reader and only ever reading or partially reading a fraction of them before they die of old age. Though I take it most of them are gutenburg etc.
At one ebook a week thats only about 50 a year. I know some people speed read through 2 or 3 a week but that still only 100 -150 a year. I have ebooks of most genres(non-fiction, thriller, mystery, comedy, historical etc) on my reader in that 200 ebooks selection so I can always find something for the mood I'm in.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #24
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Ouch ! Looks like I hit a nerve there with the ubergeeks. I used to be one of them once upon time
Don't flatter yourself. I'd have to care about your opinion before you can do that.

I won't speak for anyone else, but it's the way you seem to think it's okay to mocking the way others see things that I take issue with, nothing else. Makes sense?

And it's "Gutenberg", not "gutenburg". As in the guy who is credited for inventing the printing press.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 08-07-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #25
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
I have no issue with people putting thousands of ebooks on their reader and only ever reading or partially reading a fraction of them before they die of old age. Though I take it most of them are gutenburg etc.
At one ebook a week thats only about 50 a year. I know some people speed read through 2 or 3 a week but that still only 100 -150 a year. I have ebooks of most genres(non-fiction, thriller, mystery, comedy, historical etc) on my reader in that 200 ebooks selection so I can always find something for the mood I'm in.
This really depends on the person. Atypical me, I can finish one in one to two days. If I'm reading Harlequins on a weekend, I can do three a day. So your 200 books might last me half a year. Plus, I love to re-read books that I like. Maybe not the entire book, but at least certain scenes, if not most of the book.

Quote:
I have ~450 books in my reader and never delete them unless I really hate the book just so I can reread them whenever I want. And I like to keep the date stamp so deleting it after I finish and adding it back when I want to reread isn't for me. (I don't even really want to reformat the reader to see if one of my books is corrupted and causing the long load time since that will lose the date stamp. Kinda sorta silly, I know, but I want it. )

Different strokes for different folks.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #26
tech_au
Oz Bookworm

Aww, you guys are either too young or forgot what a good ol' flame war is about.
No hard feelings to any one !
Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #27
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
On a quiet weekend day, I can read 3 - 4 books. And even during the week, I read a book in 1 - 3 days.

And I do not have thousands of books, but over a thousand. And I have read, or will read most of them. Maybe not all the Project Gutenburg classics, but I only have about 20 of them.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #28
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
All I can say is that, after some testing, I can confirm that putting books on an SD card or Memory Stick makes a huge difference.

I tried with about 1,000 PDFs with annotations. I put them on my 950. On disconnect, it took about 1 1/2 hours to finish 'loading'. I tried three times, and the timing was fairly consistent.

I then put the same PDFs on an SD card (a SanDisk SDHC 2, 16 GB) and deleted them from the device. Now, on disconnect, it's about 2 minutes. I did this about 5 times, it's fairly consistent.

I finally tried with a Memory Stick, by SONY, 8 GB (I think, don't have it here right now, left it home for backup). Same as above - only 2 min on disconnect.

I tried with both the Memory Stick and the SD Card. Took about 4 minutes on disconnect.

Finally, put the PDFs on the device, on the Memory Stick and SD Card. Again, about 1.5 hrs.

With 1,000 PDFs on the device I noticed a considerable delay in opening/closing books (a good 5-6 seconds to return to home screen). When I put the same PDFs on the SD or Memory Stick, the delay was considerably shorter - yet, still, the reader is more sluggish than when empty (maybe about 1-2 seconds to home screen).

I can't explain this. It seems like a bug to me, so I would not suggest everyone should go out and buy external storage. But I have seen others on the forums state the same, so I would look into it, if you truly want to carry around a large number of books.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
All I can say is that, after some testing, I can confirm that putting books on an SD card or Memory Stick makes a huge difference.

I tried with about 1,000 PDFs with annotations. I put them on my 950. On disconnect, it took about 1 1/2 hours to finish 'loading'. I tried three times, and the timing was fairly consistent.

I then put the same PDFs on an SD card (a SanDisk SDHC 2, 16 GB) and deleted them from the device. Now, on disconnect, it's about 2 minutes. I did this about 5 times, it's fairly consistent.
Do you have PRS+ installed? If you did then this might explain what you are seeing.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-08-2011 at 12:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #30
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Do you have PRS+ installed? If you did then this might explain what you are seeing.
No, I have tried it in the past, on my 900, but I have not installed it on my 950. Running SONY's firmware.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote