Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #31
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
It's gonna take me a lot of "diff" time to figure out just which changes make up the "direct entry with enter" function so I can add it to my already hacked-up reader's files ;-) I'm working on it. Just don't want to lose what I already have (clock, mainly).
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #32
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
I'm currently working on a windows app that will allow you to easily build a custom group of hacks from all of the ones available. If you have a windows box somewhere, it should make the process significantly easier.

It probably won't be ready for a little while yet, so if you need it immediately, hack away!
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 05:45 AM   #33
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
I'm currently working on a windows app that will allow you to easily build a custom group of hacks from all of the ones available. If you have a windows box somewhere, it should make the process significantly easier.

It probably won't be ready for a little while yet, so if you need it immediately, hack away!
As cool as that is, I'm windows-impaired (or windows-liberated, as the case may be).
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mybe this Windows app can be written in Python for cross-platform compatibility.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #35
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
As cool as that is, I'm windows-impaired (or windows-liberated, as the case may be).
You're not even running WINE?

I had thought about doing it in Python, actually, but as much as I hate to admit it, .NET just makes things too easy to ignore it. Once it's done and proven, I may take a look at porting it.
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #36
beartard
Minister of Linux

Do VB apps need an interpreter like BASIC or are they compiled as standalone? If the latter, it might work. As for .NET, I think mono can handle them, but I confess I haven't tried many mono apps.

Quote:
You're not even running WINE?

I had thought about doing it in Python, actually, but as much as I hate to admit it, .NET just makes things too easy to ignore it. Once it's done and proven, I may take a look at porting it.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #37
Nogg
Literate!

I'm actually using C#, but it's the same end result as VB, which is a compiled app. I'm using relative directories, so it should work pretty easily... I hope.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nogg, think you can fix the bug in #16?

It was supposed to be setup so if I plugged the reader into the power supply or USB that it did not reset the page flip counter. But if I plug into the USB port (have not yet tried the power supply) it does reset the page flip counter. Any idea why and how to maybe fix it?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #39
Nogg
Literate!

Yeah, that's super easy.

I'm very close to having the app ready. The main program is done (first pass, at least). All I'm finishing up now is getting each of the hacks transferred over. Just a couple more to go.

If you can't wait, it's really simple to fix on your own:
in main.xml, look for this block:

Code:
else if (id == "POWER") {
				if (value) {
					var lowBattery = this.getVariable("LOW_BATTERY");
					if (lowBattery)
						this.setVariable("LOW_BATTERY", 0);
					this.batteryWarning = false;
					t = 0;
				}
			}
Once you find it, delete the t = 0; line. That should do it!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, that's super easy.

I'm very close to having the app ready. The main program is done (first pass, at least). All I'm finishing up now is getting each of the hacks transferred over. Just a couple more to go.

If you can't wait, it's really simple to fix on your own:
in main.xml, look for this block:

Code:
else if (id == "POWER") {
				if (value) {
					var lowBattery = this.getVariable("LOW_BATTERY");
					if (lowBattery)
						this.setVariable("LOW_BATTERY", 0);
					this.batteryWarning = false;
					t = 0;
				}
			}
Once you find it, delete the t = 0; line. That should do it!
Thank you so very much. I'll have a go at it now and see if it works.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #41
Nogg
Literate!

On second thought, perhaps I spoke too soon. In the latest version of 16, I don't see the t = 0; line.

Let me know if you find the same thing, Jon. If you don't have it, something strange is going on.

Also, does the counter reset when you do a soft reset?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
On second thought, perhaps I spoke too soon. In the latest version of 16, I don't see the t = 0; line.

Let me know if you find the same thing, Jon. If you don't have it, something strange is going on.

Also, does the counter reset when you do a soft reset?
I don't see the t = 0; line as well. Yet it still resets when I plug into the USB port. When I power off holding in enter, and then turn it back on, the counter is now at 2 instead of what it was.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 AM   #43
Nogg
Literate!

Yeah, forgive me for that. I have about 50 different main.xml files all over my drive and sometimes I get them a little confused.

The only thing I can guess is that USB is somehow clearing the local variables, of which the counter is one.

I'm not surprised that powering off resets the counter. I think the page counter will have to be upgraded to write itself to file like the clock setting does, which should solve both problems. I'll work on that once the hack app is done.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, forgive me for that. I have about 50 different main.xml files all over my drive and sometimes I get them a little confused.

The only thing I can guess is that USB is somehow clearing the local variables, of which the counter is one.

I'm not surprised that powering off resets the counter. I think the page counter will have to be upgraded to write itself to file like the clock setting does, which should solve both problems. I'll work on that once the hack app is done.
Thank you. I'm glad we got it sorted out sort of. Do you think it will be not too difficult to upgrade the page flip counter so it works properly without losing the number?

I do have one question about the shutdown. Has anyone actually verified that it actually shuts the power off and that it's using less power then before? If I take a fully charged Reader and shut it off, how long will it sit till it gets to 3 bars from 4?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:16 AM   #45
Nogg
Literate!

From what I can see, it should be pretty straightforward, but this platform is a little wonky, so I can't be sure.

I don't know if anyone else has tried it besides you and me. For me, since I've been doing so much reflashing lately, I'm draining the battery much more than usual, so I have no idea. Once I'm done working on this stuff, I'll go back to my normal routine, which should give me a pretty good idea of how useful it is.

If anyone has a reader they're not currently using (I know, I know), I'd ask them to try it out to see how the drain is.