Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
karpomatic
karpomatic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook!
Unhappy Lendme Problems

If you lend a title to someone and the 14 days are up, the book reverts back to you and you can read it again. Can't you then lend it to someone else?

I lent a few books to a friend and months later when i try to lend one to someone else the feature is not on my Nook. I looked at my Nook Library on BN.com and under the title it says, "You've already lent this item." By this, I can only lend it to one person, ever? I've contacted BN customer service but they havent gotten back to me yet.

karpomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
My impression from the B&N site is that the "lend me" books are lendable one time to one person. This is per their deal with the publishers.
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
If you lend a title to someone and the 14 days are up, the book reverts back to you and you can read it again. Can't you then lend it to someone else?

I lent a few books to a friend and months later when i try to lend one to someone else the feature is not on my Nook. I looked at my Nook Library on BN.com and under the title it says, "You've already lent this item." By this, I can only lend it to one person, ever? I've contacted BN customer service but they havent gotten back to me yet.

Yes, you are only allowed to lend a book once, for 14 days.
These limitations are set by the publishers, not B&N.
That is why lending for the Kindle has the same limitations.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Zatakawa
Enthusiast
Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
With our new LendMe™ technology, you can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days.
(emphasis added)
Source: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35611

Just like Amazon's policy regarding lending ebooks.

Here is some additional information on lending from the Nook user guide (p. 131):

Quote:
Rules
Here are some rules regarding lending eBooks:
• You can only lend eBooks that are in your online digital library. Not all eBooks can be lent
(though many can).
• You can only lend from a registered NOOK to users of other registered NOOKs (or other
registered B&N eReader devices). You can send a lending offer to any email address, but to
accept the offer, the other person must have an email address associated with a Barnes & Noble
online account and a NOOK or other B&N eReader that supports lending.
• You can lend an eBook from anywhere with supported wireless connectivity (including Wi-Fi
hotspots outside of the United States, U.S. territories, and Canada)
• You can only lend an eBook one time.
It only counts as the one time lending if your friend accepts the lending offer. If the lending
offer expires or your friend rejects the offer, you can still lend the eBook.
• A loan is for 14 calendar days, counting the day on which the lending offer is received. A lent
eBook is automatically returned at the beginning of the 15th calendar day (if the borrower has
not returned it more quickly).
• When you lend an eBook, you temporarily lend the digital rights to the eBook. During the
period when the lending offer is pending and while the book is lent, you cannot read it. When
the book is returned, you get the digital rights back, and can read the book again.
• You cannot lend an eBook that has been lent to you.
• You cannot save a copy of a lent eBook to the microSD card.
• You cannot archive an eBook that has been lent to you.

Last edited by Zatakawa; 03-22-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Zatakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
karpomatic

That is very limiting and misleading. Lendme technology sucks.
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
That is very limiting and misleading. Lendme technology sucks.
Blame the publishers who set these restrictions, and who even with these restrictions have disabled lending for most books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
karpomatic

They might as well do away with it all together. I can see only lending it to a single person once but to only lend it out once ever? Not worth even having as a feature, IMO.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
They might as well do away with it all together. I can see only lending it to a single person once but to only lend it out once ever? Not worth even having as a feature, IMO.
I totally agree. On the surface it appears to be a great selling point. It's really a joke.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
Quote:
I agree as well. Publishers are also trying to prevent libraries from lending ebooks:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...lending/71821/
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, if they have/plan all these restrictions for sBooks that most certainly do NOT apply to paper books, then surely the eBooks should be LOTS cheaper than the paper books... One would think... and (unfortunately) be wrong...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
No. Each book only gets to be lent 1 time.

While I think this sucks compared to other lending options, I've joined booksfornooks and read a lot of books for free using it, so I don't complain too much. I just wish more publishers would participate in the lending program--some pulled out when Kindle started lending.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
No. Each book only gets to be lent 1 time.
I am still trying to figure out the publishers motivation for having this restriction. With everything with them it comes down to money. Do they actually think that this will bring in more money? Don't answer that. Of course that is what they think! I mean when I buy my kids eReaders we won't even be able to share books among ourselves. How stupid is that?

Last edited by jersysman; 03-24-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Hate misspelled words
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I am still trying to figure out the publishers motivation for having this restriction. With everything with them it comes down to money. Do they actually think that this will bring in more money? Don't answer that. Of course that is what they think! I mean when I my my kids eReaders we wouldn't even be able to share books among ourselves. How stupid is that?
Most publishers don't allow lending at all. of the "Agency 6" only Macmillan allows it (but Macmillan doesn't allow Overdrive to lend its books through libraries). It's hit or miss with smaller publishers.

The automatic-return feature of e-book lending makes it unlike a lot of paper book lending--in e-book lending at least you know you will get your book back. Theoretically you could lend out your e-book nearly constantly to hundreds of people if there were no restrictions, and yeah, I suppose a publisher would think that would eat into profit.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to share e-books between your kids, though. You could register them to the same account, or sideload them into different readers.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lendme, nook