Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
littlex
littlex began at the beginning.

Device: PB IQ 701, Kindle
Books for Android dummies/beginners

Hello there,
are there any good books available for Android dummies?
I know my way around Windows quite well but I am absolute "android illiterate"
So when trying to follow some suggestions here from forum user I am stuck

Need input badly...

Thanks in advance,
LittleX

Pls. excuse my english, it is not my first language...
littlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Try THE COMPLETE ANDROID GUIDE; it's aimed at cellphone users (like Android) but it should be enough to get you started. You have a choice to buy the ebook version for US$10 or read it online.
This links to both versions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/news/read-t...ine-copy/1168/

Good luck.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
littlex

Hi!
Thx for the link, I checked it out already. Will definitely get me started...
How about a sort of "How to " (p.e.find Launcher Pro on my Pocketbook) or how to mount my devices or so?
I can use my IQ and I know basics, but words like rooting or super-user are all french to me :-p

Any more suggestions?
Have a nice day
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114276
Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Surf around on the internet for how-tos and app recommendations.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlex View Post
I can use my IQ and I know basics, but words like rooting or super-user are all french to me
See Rooting (Android OS). The terms rooting and superuser originally referred to Unix and more recently Linux. Android is actually built on top of Linux. The username root is the superuser - able to do anything they want with any files or services.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #7
littlex

Aha!
I will give it a try...
Maybe a Linux-basics-book might be helpfull, too?

Will take me some time to get familiar with that, but I´ll manage.
Although being a true blonde, I´ve got a spare brain cell to use for that kind of stuff

Will keepp checking the links and the forum

Thx again, guys, you´ve been very helpfull (and patient with a novice...)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlex View Post
Aha!
I will give it a try...
Maybe a Linux-basics-book might be helpfull, too?
It might *if* you intend to push the IQ to its limits.
Just bear in mind that the Linux underpinings are (mostly) kept out of sight.
If all you intend to do is load apps and use those apps you don't need to mess around with the advanced stuff.

For now, rooting (or the repacked and patched firmware variants) offers the ability to install more than a couple dozen apps, fake out the installation app so you can install apps that require a newer version of the OS, and remove the bulk of the built-in apps. With the "experimental" repack, you get better performance in some areas, too.

My suggestion would be to wade in; see how the gadget fits in with your needs, which apps are useful to you, what you can do with it and what you can't. It won't take long to figure out if you need more than the baseline firmware allows. Then you can start looking into the innards.

It's not hard at all, the folks 'round here have greased the way a lot so it doesn't take a brain surgeon to do. Anybody *can* do it with a bit of attention to the instructions. But it's not necessarily something everybody *needs* to do.

Just because you can doesn't mean you need to.
Just a thought.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
littlex

Thx for the input!
I will just fool around with it a bit (and wil back up my stuff BEFORE doing so ;-)
I definitely won't try anything that requires brainsurgery, that would be out of my league. Give me any device labelled windows operated, no biggie, but something command operated like Linux or Anroid scares the living sh... out of me ...
Have a nice day
Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
littlex

Thx for the input!
I will just fool around with it a bit (and wil back up my stuff BEFORE doing so ;-)
I definitely won't try anything that requires brainsurgery, that would be out of my league. Give me any device labelled windows operated, no biggie, but something command operated like Linux or Anroid scares the living sh... out of me ...
Have a nice day
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
If you really want to play around Android and learn about the linux command line, I can recommend you this PDF:

The Linux Command Line by William Shotts.

A great resource to learn and well written (and it is a free PDF to boot)
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote