Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Shortcovers (Kobo?) adds 1.8 million scanned books from The Internet Archive

From their blog:

http://blog.shortcovers.com/2009/12/...rnet-archives/

No mention of the new brand/reader (if you're wondering, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65142)

B&N and Sony both have some sort of Google Books integration, and now Shortcovers becomes another company that can claim they have 'millions of ebooks'.

Amazon seems quite satisfied with their 360k.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
And you are trying to say "what" exactly.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
And you are trying to say "what" exactly.
Exactly what I said - Shortcovers.com users can now download 1.8m ebooks from IA. If they launch a reader tomorrow, they will be able to claim that their reader can access 1.8m+ ebooks, just like B&N, who partner with Google Books for 1m+ ebooks. Amazon does not seem to be interested in partnering with either IA or Google Books to make their free ebooks available through the Kindle store. I thought this was interesting, so I posted it. No hidden gems of wisdom in this one
Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be honest about it, I'm a newbie here, so maybe my comment doesn't count. I'd rather see the 1 million free/old stuff at some other place than Amazon. They (Amazon) do a pretty good job of bringing the "classics" into their fold, without diluting everything with a million books I really don't have any interest in. There are other places to get these books. My point is that some companies are using this for marketing purposes only.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
anurag
Addict

Quote:
To be honest about it, I'm a newbie here, so maybe my comment doesn't count. I'd rather see the 1 million free/old stuff at some other place than Amazon. They (Amazon) do a pretty good job of bringing the "classics" into their fold, without diluting everything with a million books I really don't have any interest in. There are other places to get these books. My point is that some companies are using this for marketing purposes only.
You're right - the companies are indeed using this only for marketing, given the automated conversions that leave a lot to be desired unless you're reading the PDF scan itself. But Amazon is making a conscious decision not to play the numbers game this way, and that to me is interesting.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

I've got a whole lot of these "free/older/classic" books on my kindle, and these things are junk, sorry if I offended anyone. Thank you Google or whoever for scanning them, now someone needs to edit the mess.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
All your ebook are belong to us
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I, for one, welcome our new [spam link edit - moderator] Spammer" overlord!

Last edited by dreams; 06-15-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
I've got a whole lot of these "free/older/classic" books on my kindle, and these things are junk, sorry if I offended anyone. Thank you Google or whoever for scanning them, now someone needs to edit the mess.
Go right ahead, no one is stopping you. What do you mean by junk though? a few typos here and there? The gist is still there, which is what will be needed by the machine for understanding.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Go right ahead, no one is stopping you. What do you mean by junk though? a few typos here and there? The gist is still there, which is what will be needed by the machine for understanding.
nevermind
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
B&N and Sony both have some sort of Google Books integration, and now Shortcovers becomes another company that can claim they have 'millions of ebooks'.
This is from December 14, 2009. Before there was a Kobo and long before there was a Google Books initiative. I believe it was Gutenberg that the books were obtained from, back then.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

This thread was reactivated by a spammer wanting us to spend big bucks on his scanning service. That post has been removed. Everything from post 7 on is now meaningless.