Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #406
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

Keep your new Pocket PRO in its case when you are moving (such as falling down stairs or jumping out of airplanes or jumping off cliffs or even just walking). IF we find it obvious that the screen is cracked due to abuse... you may just have voided your warranty. IF you want to roughhouse with a Pocket PRO... invest in a "Rhino Skin" aluminum case that clips to your belt!

This is a serious request that all buying the Pocket PRO realize that they still need to provide care. I can't do you any good if you send it for repair with a broken screen and we note ANY evidence of abuse. YOU have to guard that device well.

Thank you, Harry, for the warning!!
In all seriousness, do you have any suggestions for a "ruggedized" case for the pocket pro? Something aluminum like the Rhino Skin would be ideal for my usage, but those cases seem to be pretty specific to certain devices. Would any of them fit the pocket pro? Or is there another case you could suggest?

-Thanks
Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #407
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The USB mini-b connector is extremely common, and I'd wager everyone here has at least a half dozen. Only thing is, some companies cut corners and have it so they only hook up the data portion, and not the power, but still a big chunk will still work for charging.
FOr some reason I've seen that some devices will think they are connected to a computer even though they are connected only to a power supply. And since most of them cannot be used while connected to the computer, that makes them unusable....luckily it appears the pro is not affected by this.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #408
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Oh goody! The USB standard is not really standard.

Personally, I think that if you have a miniUSB connector, ANY miniUSB should work, not one that is specifically created or rated or toned down. After all, to me, that's what "standard" means.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #409
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post

Personally, I think that if you have a miniUSB connector, ANY miniUSB should work, not one that is specifically created or rated or toned down. After all, to me, that's what "standard" means.
Generally the USB standard is designed for a computer interface and supplying a small amount of power to an attached device. It was never designed to be for charging devices, after all who would buy a computer to charge a cell phone.

However, as we all know standard things get used in non-standard ways. While USB isn't designed to output more than 100 mA to a device and later modified to 500 mA many devices with USB connectors on them need more than that. In addition the standard didn't provide for charging a device and using it independently from the computer it is plugged into. However, customer needs and desires have modified the use way beyond the standard and manufacturers are going with the flow. I guess you want to pay more for an additional non-standard connector to charge your device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #410
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know. I just feel like griping today for some reason. Probly cause I can't go out and enjoy the rainstorm. I'm stuck here doing floorplan schedules, power/lighting elevations, and redesigns.

YUCKIE! I wanna go out and relax in a chair, listen to the rain while I relax with a nice pipe!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #411
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I know. I just feel like griping today for some reason.
And a good job your doing of it too!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #412
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
IF you want to roughhouse with a Pocket PRO... invest in a "Rhino Skin" aluminum case that clips to your belt!
I've never looked at Rhino Skin cases before (or even heard of them), although I did a quick Google after reading your note. Since I pre-ordered my Pocket Pro, I've been thinking I'd like to find some type of case that I could clip to my belt to make it easier to carry the thing with me, since I don't generally wear a shirt or jacket with large pockets.

QUESTION: Is there a particular model Rhino Skin aluminum case that you know will fit the 5" EZ-Reader Pocket Pro?

Everett
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #413
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Generally the USB standard is designed for a computer interface and supplying a small amount of power to an attached device. It was never designed to be for charging devices, after all who would buy a computer to charge a cell phone.

However, as we all know standard things get used in non-standard ways. While USB isn't designed to output more than 100 mA to a device and later modified to 500 mA many devices with USB connectors on them need more than that. In addition the standard didn't provide for charging a device and using it independently from the computer it is plugged into. However, customer needs and desires have modified the use way beyond the standard and manufacturers are going with the flow. I guess you want to pay more for an additional non-standard connector to charge your device.
Yeah, I have a Bluetooth GPS receiver for use with my N800 and my computers that charges via USB. It comes with a car charger that outputs 1100mA, and it makes a difference apparently for the GPS unit. It has a label on the side of the charger, that clearly states that.

Also, just because there is a standard, doesn't mean it has to be implemented.

As far as the being useless while connected via USB, well, that has nothing to do with the standard. Most of those do that for data protection reasons. they don't want the device to be using a file, and the computer edit it (thus causing a crash), or something like that. My N800 locks out the SD cards from being used if I plugged in via USB, for that reason.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #414
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
And a good job your doing of it too!
Yes! :bowler's piston arm:

Also, I sent an email to Rhino Skin asking about Astak cases. I'll post the reply when I get it.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #415
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I have several devices I'd like a rhinoskin for, but they apparently don't make stuff for nokia, sony, etc
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #416
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Case for Pocket PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Well View Post
In all seriousness, do you have any suggestions for a "ruggedized" case for the pocket pro? Something aluminum like the Rhino Skin would be ideal for my usage, but those cases seem to be pretty specific to certain devices. Would any of them fit the pocket pro? Or is there another case you could suggest?

-Thanks
Dear Dragon_Well:

Please wait until you get the Pocket PRO and try the case that comes with it. It is crush-resistant and has a magnetic clasp. They did not scimp on it and it will look great and do a wonderful job of protecting unless you stand on it or treat it horribly. I realize that most "included cases" are often pretty lousy. This is NOT!!

I will try to go to Rhino Skin and see if they have a generic case that would work. We are also working on our own custom cases.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #417
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's great, Griffonwing!

Quote:
Yes! :bowler's piston arm:

Also, I sent an email to Rhino Skin asking about Astak cases. I'll post the reply when I get it.
Dear Griffonwing:

Let me know what you find out!! I appreciate it!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #418
Robertb

I have one for you!

Quote:
I know. I just feel like griping today for some reason. Probly cause I can't go out and enjoy the rainstorm. I'm stuck here doing floorplan schedules, power/lighting elevations, and redesigns.

YUCKIE! I wanna go out and relax in a chair, listen to the rain while I relax with a nice pipe!
Dear Griffonwing:

If you do not mind 3/4 inch, I have a 9 inch long galvenized pipe that you could relax with! It is nice and behaves very well! It will accept rain and you should have no problems!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #419
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

The wonderful thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #420
Robertb

Want Pocket PRO NOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
Thanks. I already have a couple of charges from other devices, including a car charger, so I should be set.

Robert,
I want my pocket pro NOW! .... please
Dear SDRebel:

I want mine also. All I have are 6 that we pulled out from black ones and put into the colored plastic halves and tyried to reassemble. They look good and work alright... but they are not fit to own.

I am waiting for my Slate Blue to arrive just like you are (although I am begining to fall under the spell of the Metallic Purple). I have twenty reviewers and five retailers that want eval samples... and we are all waiting. I got offered $300 for a Pocket PRO today from a reviewer who wants to buy it and get out the first story... and I do not have any to sell.

Do like I do... post crazy notes to Griffonwing.