Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
HTML format for ebooks

Hi everyone,

I've accumulated a large number of ebooks over the years in many different formats so I've decided to convert them all to a single format that is fairly universal and easy to convert to any other format if neccessary.

I've decided on HTML as this seems a good choice for archival purposes and either directly supported by a large number of reading devices or commonly used to convert from with conversion software.

I've got a couple of questions on this though.

1. Is this a good choice as the originating file format or is there a better one?

2. Would it be better to have one HTML file with everything in it or split it up into multiple file, one for each chapter or section?

Any help would be great.
Thanks.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Hi everyone,

I've accumulated a large number of ebooks over the years in many different formats so I've decided to convert them all to a single format that is fairly universal and easy to convert to any other format if neccessary.

I've decided on HTML as this seems a good choice for archival purposes and either directly supported by a large number of reading devices or commonly used to convert from with conversion software.

I've got a couple of questions on this though.

1. Is this a good choice as the originating file format or is there a better one?

2. Would it be better to have one HTML file with everything in it or split it up into multiple file, one for each chapter or section?

Any help would be great.
Thanks.
1. It is quite a good choice, really

2. Keep it in one file or put it in a folder (name the folder according to the book title) and zip the folder up to archive

3 Do NOT imitate Baen on this as their html explodes all over the place when unpacking

Better yet, use epub for this!

Oh and welcome to MR.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 03-10-2009 at 08:55 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Welcome to MobileRead ghostyjack .

You might find the "Upload ebooks in HTML format" thread interesting, as it discusses similar issues.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Thanks guys.

It sounds like using HTML as a starting point is a good choice, so I think I'll stick with it.

Thanks for the thread link Sparrow, it was quite informative. I think I'll initially create one file per book with a repository folder for images in the same location (this works fine with FBReader) to begin with and then see how easy it is to break it down and zip it up (maybe as ePub?).
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Yes. None that I am aware of.

Quote:
Personally, I prefer one file per book.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote