Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
Sort library on multiple fields

I have been looking for a way to sort on multiple fields in the library. For example, I want all of an authors books together, but I want them sorted by Series and series index. Is there some way to accomplish this in Calibre or is there a plugin that sorts on multiple fields? I seem only to be able to sort by series or author and not by both with author first.

-John
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post
I have been looking for a way to sort on multiple fields in the library. For example, I want all of an authors books together, but I want them sorted by Series and series index. Is there some way to accomplish this in Calibre or is there a plugin that sorts on multiple fields? I seem only to be able to sort by series or author and not by both with author first.

-John
Just click each column head you want sorted in order:
eg. Authors then Title

Series sorts include the index order in the sort

FWIW, you may read series by only 1 author. Many have different authors, making a Series<>Author sort iffy

just like you can't do a series<>Title sort (well you CAN do the sort operation, it won't render wonderful results )

Note: There is a sort on start up option where you can enter the column names to always do.
Preferences: Tweaks: <sort_columns_at_startup> selection from right
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
tobiasj
surrounded by books

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just click each column head you want sorted in order:
eg. Authors then Title

Series sorts include the index order in the sort

FWIW, you may read series by only 1 author. Many have different authors, making a Series<>Author sort iffy
This doesn't seem to work the way you suggest, if I click on the Author column first then click on Series, it changes from an author sort to a series sort, it doesn't um, stack the sorts. Though I may misunderstand what your suggesting I do.

I am not worried about series with different authors, I do have a couple of those but whatever order they end up in doesn't bother me. Having the 20+ books by the same author all over the library rather than together annoys me since my default sort is by series Yes, I know I can create vlibraries or search to accomplish this on a smaller scale but I want the entire library to sort that way. There may simply not be a way to do it, and that's too bad.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
tobiasj
surrounded by books

Quote:
Note: There is a sort on start up option where you can enter the column names to always do.
Preferences: Tweaks: <sort_columns_at_startup> selection from right

This however seems to have worked exactly the way I was looking for. I am going to play with it some more, but simply adding [('authors', 0), ('series', 0)] it seems to sort the way I expected...

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
This doesn't seem to work the way you suggest, if I click on the Author column first then click on Series, it changes from an author sort to a series sort, it doesn't um, stack the sorts. Though I may misunderstand what your suggesting I do.

I am not worried about series with different authors, I do have a couple of those but whatever order they end up in doesn't bother me. Having the 20+ books by the same author all over the library rather than together annoys me since my default sort is by series Yes, I know I can create vlibraries or search to accomplish this on a smaller scale but I want the entire library to sort that way. There may simply not be a way to do it, and that's too bad.
It does here.

Your Authors may have slight differences (Jonn Smith vs John Q. Smith)
Your Author sort field may be erratic (shows red)

Get the Quality check Plugin. It has all sorts of Metadat checks to help you identify books that need more Metadata help
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
tobiasj
surrounded by books

Quote:
It does here.

Get the Quality check Plugin. It has all sorts of Metadat checks to help you identify books that need more Metadata help
I have already spent the last week or so cleaning up all the meta data. Like I said in my second reply, setting the start-up sort works exactly as I wanted it to which means to me that the meta data must be correct. Either way you got me exactly where I wanted to be sort-wise in my library. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Do the clicks in the opposite order. The last column you click is the major sort order. The second-to-last is the sort used if the values in the last column you clicked are equal. And so on.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have already spent the last week or so cleaning up all the meta data. Like I said in my second reply, setting the start-up sort works exactly as I wanted it to which means to me that the meta data must be correct. Either way you got me exactly where I wanted to be sort-wise in my library. Thanks!
@tobiasj - this may do some/all of what you want, has facility to save/reuse multiple 'columns to display' and 'columns to sort' setups ==>> [GUI Plugin] View Manager

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
cvlowe
Enthusiast
cvlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre on laptop
An option that is sort of clunky, but works is to use the title sort field and manually enter the info in the way you want it to sort. It's not an optimal method by any means but it works.
cvlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@tobiasj - this may do some/all of what you want, has facility to save/reuse multiple 'columns to display' and 'columns to sort' setups ==>> [GUI Plugin] View Manager

BR
Keep in mind that, at least the last time I checked, View Manager can't sort on more than 3 fields. It will let you check more than 3 boxes, but the sorting doesn't work past 3.

It was months ago since I noticed this, so it might have changed since then.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
Keep in mind that, at least the last time I checked, View Manager can't sort on more than 3 fields. It will let you check more than 3 boxes, but the sorting doesn't work past 3.

It was months ago since I noticed this, so it might have changed since then.
@fidvo - I don't think the PI has changed, functionally, since June last year. I have about a dozen views but none have more than 3 sort fields - maybe that's why I have have about a dozen views

It would be nice if one could associate views with Virtual Libraries.

I'm mouse shy so I find clicking on column headers a PITA.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:55 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I'm not at my machine, but IIRC the number of sort levels is controlled by a tweak. I have that tweak set to 5, but I don't know that it translates to this plugin.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 AM   #13
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
If anything else fails, there is always the possibility to sort through a custom column. Make a custom column that consists of other columns and use this to sort.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
Multiple Sorts

Quote:
It does here.

Thanks to everyone for the sorting feedback. Once you try it out, it's easier than it sounds. Much appreciated.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote