Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Hey, what do you guys use for cloud backup/storage?

Google Drive is pathetically slow and doesn't sync in Linux so I'm looking for a new place, free and easy to use (with syncing). I've narrowed it down to iDrive, Dropbox, Cypherite and Copy.com. I like Cypherite because it's open source. iDrive just seems so slick and has continuous backup and syncing (I have 3 computers). Dropbox is the seeming gold standard. Copy.com is the new kid on the block but gives a whopping amount of storage. What's been your experience with cloud storage?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Possibly of use to you: http://www.cloudreviews.com/comparis...e-vs-copy.html
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
cliq
Nameless Being

I think you can also check OneDrive and box.com too. Box gives a nice storage size when you sign up with the 50Gb link. Dropbox is kind of stingy with space in my own opinion.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Well, Ubuntu 1 was my favorite, but they're closing down in a couple of months.

Since then I've signed up at Dropbox (on my Ubuntu and Windows computers and the App for my Android phone) and SpiderOak (for the computers -- the Android App has mediocre reviews).

Both Dropbox and SpiderOak are well integrated with Linux (I'm using Ubuntu) and Windows. SpiderOak has the advantage of being fully encrypted, but it's slower -- probably because of the encryption.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Dropbox and have been using it for years. My only complaint is the sync speed, but since everything runs in the background it is often not an issue. Freebie space may be an issue, but since I have been using it for so long, I am at 47Gb of free space without cheating, so i cant really complain in that aspect.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Well, Ubuntu 1 was my favorite, but they're closing down in a couple of months.
Same here. U1 is dying a surprisingly late death, considering how much Canonical has done to really upset the Ubuntu userbase. Not going to cough anything; there's been at least one big change each version since 9.10 that's done it.

Anyway, I write on Android most of the time, and AFIAK there's no auto-syncing cloud storage for that (barring apps logging in and editing filed directly, which only works if you have an internet connection), so I just manually upload and download thru the Google Drive website.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Dropbox seems to have the most support from other apps (built into them as an optional storage location). So I use it for 1password and a few other apps.

I used Microsoft's Skydrive, now called OneDrive, for the longest time of any of these (they gave me a free 25 GB for being a long-time user).

I was a happy SugarSync user until they recently gave the boot to freeloaders like me.

Google Drive is neat mostly because I don't have to remember, well, almost anything to access it from any browser when I travel.

iCloud plays so nicely with my iOS devices.

Hmm, I suppose I'm using too many of these services!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As it says in my sig...

Sign up for free 15gb of file space on copy.com (with this referal url) and we both get 5GB extra free.

For those that find math hard - that is 20GB free to start, and then it goes 5GB each time you refer someone. It has all the features of DropBox, but a lot more free storage.

That is who I recommend.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 AM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everybody for the great info. Two wheels, that comparison chart was really helpful. Cliq, it seemed box.com was more for business. Cromag, I'm using Ubuntu too. I'll check out SpiderOak better. David, 47GB! How'd you get so much? I don't have that much stuff but when you put the contents of a flash drive onto something that takes you over the 2GB Dropbox limit in a big hurry. teh, I've found Google Drive's uploading to be so slow. Small files it's fine. Anything bigger can take hours. Thanks pen. I thought SugarSync looked really good too. And yeah, you've got too many services. Vincent, but are you sure about that? (But I did notice on Two wheels comparison link that Dropbox and iDrive do offer features copy.com doesn't--like restoring deleted files.)

And what about MediaFire? I've got an account there for posting photos and stuff on other sites, but supposedly it's great for backups and cloud storage too. My experience though is that when you upload a folder, Mediafire breaks it down into files in the cloud. Which is an organizational pain in the butt. Plus you have to decide file-by-file to make a file private or not--and the default is public. (Not a very good feeling for security.)

And that's another thing, Mediafire has only a 200MB upload limit. Which isn't very big. What services have big upload maximums?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:16 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliq View Post
I think you can also check OneDrive and box.com too. Box gives a nice storage size when you sign up with the 50Gb link. Dropbox is kind of stingy with space in my own opinion.
What link would this be? Their current promos all involve specific models of Android or Win7/8.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 AM   #11
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliq View Post
For me, what makes me love Dropbox more and more is their stability and security. I asked them once if I would lose my existing files if I fail to make a payment to them in any month, and they said 'No, but you won't be able to sync anything new'. I don't wanna wake up one morning to find all my files gone (like it happened with streamload, sugarsync and mediafire). So yeah, 2GB ain't seem like much but if you want to have peace of mind and can't afford to lose your files then Dropbox is IMO the best way to go. I do wish that Dropbox used more BW when syncing files, but in spite of my settings that doesn't seem to happen. That is one minor annoyance I have with them.

Or you can use google drive (you get 15GB free) and let the big G sneak into your files whenever they want :
http://bradlowrey.net/articles/googl...le-of-privacy/

I once used copy.com and their transfer speeds (Via mover) are terrible. Box.com IMO limits you by filesize, unlike Dropbox. So yeah, lots to consider when choosing a cloud storage which goes above and beyond the 'how much space I am getting' mindset (no offense intended)

Last edited by mrmarlowe; 04-23-2014 at 04:44 AM.
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 AM   #12
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Dropbox and have been using it for years. My only complaint is the sync speed, but since everything runs in the background it is often not an issue. Freebie space may be an issue, but since I have been using it for so long, I am at 47Gb of free space without cheating, so i cant really complain in that aspect.

Wonder how you got that much. I used to think that the most they offer by way of free referrals is 36 GB.
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarlowe View Post
I once used copy.com and their transfer speeds (Via mover) are terrible. Box.com IMO limits you by filesize, unlike Dropbox. So yeah, lots to consider when choosing a cloud storage which goes above and beyond the 'how much space I am getting' mindset (no offense intended)

Yea Box.com is a joke. I have 50GB with them - sitting empty and unused.

I have 18gb with DropBox because they were the first to do cloud storage in a way that made sense, and then move to Copy.com becuase, IME, they are just as fast as DropBox, have all the same features, are backed by a respected corperation, and offer a lot more space for the same free cost.

I also have MS's OneDrive (aka SkyDrive), Amazon's version, Google's version, and what feels like a zillion others.

IMO only DropBox and Copy.com are worth looking at.

Also - use TrueCrypt or other strong encryption to protect anything you care about that you put in the cloud.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarlowe View Post
For me, what makes me love Dropbox more and more is their stability and security. I asked them once if I would lose my existing files if I fail to make a payment to them in any month, and they said 'No, but you won't be able to sync anything new'. I don't wanna wake up one morning to find all my files gone (like it happened with streamload, sugarsync and mediafire). So yeah, 2GB ain't seem like much but if you want to have peace of mind and can't afford to lose your files then Dropbox is IMO the best way to go. I do wish that Dropbox used more BW when syncing files, but in spite of my settings that doesn't seem to happen. That is one minor annoyance I have with them.

Or you can use google drive (you get 15GB free) and let the big G sneak into your files whenever they want :
http://bradlowrey.net/articles/googl...le-of-privacy/

We (my company) push thousands of files, literally, through Dropbox on any given month. All our production runs through Dropbox for QA, etc., before it gets shipped to the client. This way, everyone has every file at their fingertips, all the time. All the pre-production materials (images, cover files, manuscripts, PDF's, audio, video, you name it). I pushed 3 different zip files, just today, 2 over 2gigs, one over 3gigs--and that was only today.

I personally keep ~115GB of DBox space on my own computers available at any given time, and all my staff have 100GB accounts, otherwise we overdrive their accounts all the time. Right this second, I purportedly have 15,399 images in DB (tempts me to upload one, right?), and I don't think they count "files," per se. We've recovered files that we quoted and deleted six months ago, so...I'm a fairly big dropbox fan.

FWIW. I'm obviously a DB fan. Couldn't live without it.

(all that being said, however: we also run RAIDS, and we backup to AmazonS3 servers nightly, AND we run a full-backup weekly. AND our production management system, Teamworks, runs their own Amazon S3 backups, which ALSO has a copy of every single file, plus archives of finished projects and all their production materials. To say I'm paranoid about data loss would be the understatement of the year.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Dropbox seems like the best. Copy.com is a close second but hasn't been around all that long and doesn't have all the features Dropbox has. (I like Dropbox's ability to recover deleted files.) Although I'm still leaning toward going with Copy because Dropbox's free 2GB would get snarfed up in a second. Nobody has said anything about iDrive so it seems you're not impressed with that. And we know that if you give data to Hitch for safekeeping it would be impossible for it to be lost. (Hitch, could I use you instead of a cloud drive?)

Does anybody know what Copy's maximum file upload size is? And does anybody know if Dropbox or Copy is easier to use, especially regarding syncing files?