Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #91
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Before testing KOReader I found it helpfull to enable telnet, enable wireless and open the extra internet browser to make sure the Aura is connected to the local network with an IP adres.
When KOReader hangs, you can still telnet into the device, and give commands like kill and reboot. ___No_need_to_do_a_factory_reset!!___

For those that have a problem with nonworking pictograms after changing shell codes, perform the changes through a linux command shell. The easiest way is via putty, a windows program that gives you access to the Aura's command shell via telnet.
(One of the reasons for not working could be that the EndOfLine symbol is different between linux and windows. In Notepad++ the EOLmarker for windows is represented as CRLF, in Unix as LF.)

Last edited by Markismus; 07-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #92
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
WOW... Are the stars aligned or something!

I finally get some sleep and you all fix not only the problem I had in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=61 but really advance the whole alternative reader approach, by quite a ways.

Bravo and Kudos to you all.

Now to figure out how to incorporate all this into one upgrade.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #93
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Before testing KOReader I found it helpfull to enable telnet, enable wireless and open the extra internet browser to make sure the Aura is connected to the local network with an IP adres.
When KOReader hangs, you can still telnet into the device, and give commands like kill and reboot. ___No_need_to_do_a_factory_reset!!___

For those that have a problem with nonworking pictograms after changing shell codes, perform the changes through a linux command shell. The easiest way is via putty, a windows program that gives you access to the Aura's command shell via telnet.
(One of the reasons for not working could be that the EndOfLine symbol is different between linux and windows. In Notepad++ the EOLmarker for windows is represented as CRLF, in Unix as LF.)
I knew I should have used/setup the Usbnet feature.

OT: one of the first C programs I wrote while in the Army was to change the
EOL from a Unix generated report stream into one compatible with Signals equipment based on a Windows/DOS OS.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #94
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
cgm999, your fixed version is awesome and makes this pretty usable: thank you!

Question about the custom command: where is the bug icon? I can't figure out what to press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm999 View Post
Also added option to run custom commands (bug icon).
Quote:
file koreader-debug_cmd.sh can be edited with whatever commands are needed to
run based on first arg (which is triggered from bottom page menu/BUG icon)
I'm trying to get it to run a script that toggles crengine.display.inverse between 0 and 1 to get a nightmode toggle working. I tried that manually, and it works but does require exiting the book and entering it again, which is a reasonable compromise for me.

The script, for what it's worth is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sed -e'/crengine.display.inverse/ y/01/10/' -i /mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader/data/cr3.ini
echo "toggled inverse flag"
Cheers!

Last edited by muness; 07-07-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added the script used to toggle inverse mode
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #95
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

cgm999 thanks!

Anyone knows why KOReader is less responsive to touch input than Kobo's pdfviewer? For example I have to try and press the X for 10-20 times before it reboots. I have to work at it to display the top menu and the bottom one. (I keep getting highlighted lines, instead of the menu's.)

Is there a trick to it?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #96
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I wonder if it might be that the active spots are too close to the edge of the screen, and therefor harder to reach with the higher resolution of the AuraHD. Just a guess.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #97
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or due to screen size the area to touch is too small.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #98
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I would tend to think the control is just small. I have a hard time hitting it from the Glo. I figure it will be harder from the Aura.

I use the reboot button from my previous koreader version. It's big and easy to hit. It's an additional icon in the reader menu. The one on the right (inverted home button).

From the attached zip:

readermenu.lua goes into koreader/frontend/ui/reader/
(backup the original version if you want to revert)

appbar.reboot.png goes into koreader/resources/icons/
Attached Files
File Type: zip koreader-rebootbutton.zip (3.8 KB, 484 views)
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #99
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Has anyone worked out the proper order to install and apply the mods and hacks?

Going from a "stock" Kobo to one running KoReader with all compatible mods and hacks upto and including "xor_"'s bigger button.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #100
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Has anyone worked out the proper order to install and apply the mods and hacks?
The order is mostly flexible, but I suggest the following order.

(Optional:
Kobo Touch Hacks for telnet, ftp, and user script on startup.
Followed by the inverse mod. The inverse mod MUST come after enabling telnet, ftp, and the user script since it modifies the startup script automatically.
)

KoboLauncher first, since it facilitates testing.
Ensure KoboLauncher works.
koreader next, since it must be installed before it's files are modified.
Now for muness' KoboLauncher.sh modifications.
Verify that the launcher icon loads koreader.
Now for the cgm mod.
Verify that the cgm mod works.
Now for the xor mod.
Verify that the xor mod works.
Finally, apply trekk's configuration.
Verify that trekk's configuration works.

I'm not up on all of the other mods.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #101
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The order is mostly flexible, but I suggest the following order.

(Optional:
Kobo Touch Hacks for telnet, ftp, and user script on startup.
Followed by the inverse mod. The inverse mod MUST come after enabling telnet, ftp, and the user script since it modifies the startup script automatically.
)

KoboLauncher first, since it facilitates testing.
Ensure KoboLauncher works.
koreader next, since it must be installed before it's files are modified.
Now for muness' KoboLauncher.sh modifications.
Verify that the launcher icon loads koreader.
Now for the cgm mod.
Verify that the cgm mod works.
Now for the xor mod.
Verify that the xor mod works.
Finally, apply trekk's configuration.
Verify that trekk's configuration works.

I'm not up on all of the other mods.
Great, That gives me a little more confidence to jump back into it and hope to get it right this time.

Thanks.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #102
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: kobo
muness : can you make a screenshot on how your Kobo looks like after adding my changes? (and you have the bottom menu activated). My guess is that is something with res , aurahd have 1080x1440 We could ajust the mod based on device_model

As for changing data/cr3.ini I would guess that koreader needs some restart after thats replaced (and you can do that if you do a killall reader.lua and from koreader_kobo.sh you have a while loop like this:

while :; do
LD_PRELOAD=/root/screenInv.so ./reader.lua /mnt/onboard
# ./reader.lua /mnt/onboard
sleep 1
done

notice: I use /root/screenInv.so , so if I echo t into /tmp/invertScreen then that will switch the nightmode
BTW here is my koreader-debug_cmd.sh:

#!/bin/sh

echo requested debug command $1

if test :$1 == :w_on ; then
/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/usbnet/start-wireless.sh
elif test :$1 == :reboot ; then
reboot
elif test :$1 == :w_off ; then
/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/usbnet/stop-wireless.sh
elif test :$1 == :inv ; then
echo t > /tmp/invertScreen
fi

and in ./frontend/ui/data/koptoptions.lua (relevant lines toggle and args) :

{
icon = "resources/info-bug.png",
options = {
{
name = "debug_cmd",
name_text = "debug cmd",
toggle = {"test","w_on","w_off","other_cmd",},
args = {"test","w_on","w_off","other_cmd",},
current_func = function() return "xxxxx" end,
default_arg = "a",
event = "debug_cmd",
}

},
},

so for reboot I use the debug_cmd from this menu .
cgm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #103
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: kobo
Screenshots attached to show the landscape/frontlight and the debug_cmd
(when 2nd icon from left is pressed )

Also attached a changed readerview.lua (goes into frontend/ui/reader/readerview.lua) to disable setting frontlight level 0(OFF) , the button can be used for this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-debug_cmd.png
Views:	610
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	107888   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-landscape-frontlight.png
Views:	708
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	107889  
Attached Files
File Type: zip readerview.zip (3.8 KB, 428 views)
cgm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #104
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Sorry guys, for the non techies of us who are in a fog, could you confirm if the following, which did not work in the first koreader version, work in the current one:
1. menus accessible from landscape mode;
2. dictionary;
3. notes.

Thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #105
Markismus
Guru

@Xor: Thanks. It works like a charm.

@Paola: 1. Yes. 2 Yes for version 273 and pdf-files. 3. No.

Last edited by Markismus; 07-12-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Change of version of KOreader