Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I don't have kids and I'm way out of that age range myself, but I read a lot of middle-grade / YA books and spend time on forums/websites with teenage fans, so...

Anything for kids by Rick Riordan - has pretty much already been mentioned (I'd say the original Percy Jackson series is aimed at slightly younger readers than Heroes of Olympus, but if a 10-year-old starts with PJ, there shouldn't be any issues with continuing with HoO). Liked by both boys and girls.

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy - the first five books have 9+ as suggested age on the back, the most recent ones have been 11+ but I'd say it'll depend on the child as they can get a bit gory at times. Liked by both boys and girls.

Boys 12+ seem to like anything by Darren Shan (Cirque du Freak, Demonata, Zom-B).

Mid-teens and older (15+) seem keen on anything by John Green. Girls and boys both.

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments (and her other series) - mostly girls but also a surprising (to me) amount of boys like these. 13+, I'd say.

Alex Rider by Anthony Horowitz and Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer are mentioned a lot - Alex Rider probably mostly (but not exclusively) by boys, Artemis Fowl by both. I can't really tell what the lower age range would be for those, 10-ish?

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket - boys and girls, 10+.

A lot of the above-mentioned books have quite a bit of humour in them.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
Gender is totally irrelevant in this.
Gender certainly isn't irrelevant; there are books that appeal to boys and books that appeal to girls. If you think gender is irrelevant, try giving a 10-year-old boy a Cindy doll as a birthday present and see what reaction you get .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
Melpomene
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Gender certainly isn't irrelevant; there are books that appeal to boys and books that appeal to girls. If you think gender is irrelevant, try giving a 10-year-old boy a Cindy doll as a birthday present and see what reaction you get .
You must not spend a lot of time around children, Harry.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You must not spend a lot of time around children, Harry.
On the contrary, it's the fact that I do that makes me 100% certain that there are books that appeal primarily to boys, and books that appeal primarily to girls. Not for very young children, perhaps, but assuredly by the age of 10 or so.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Perhaps we should just accept that the gender of some kids is irrelevant. For the purposes of this list though, I'm happy to take a gender recommendation if they're supplied.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
Melpomene
Nameless Being

It just makes this list pointlessly segregationist and needlessly sexist.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'd recommend C.S. Lewis's "Narnia" series. It should appeal to both boys and girls from perhaps aged 10 upwards. Might be a little frightening in parts for young children.

For young teenage boys, Robert Heinlein's "Juvenile" SF novels are hard to beat. I certainly devoured them when I was in my teens, and 40 years later I still love them.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Gender is not irrelevant but there is a great deal of overlap as far as what boys and girls read.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
This list is of recommendatory nature, not normative one. Pointing out that some books appeal more to boys/girls doesn't make it segregationist or sexist. It simply acknowledges the fact that we do have two sexes and that children more often then not have different interests based partially on the them. Nobody's suggesting a boy cant read Sophie´s World.
No need for such indignation. It's just another list.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Second on Heinlein's juveniles (and add _Starship Troopers_) , _Hatchet_ and Christopher's _White Mountains_.

Surprised no one has suggested the ``Mad Scientist Club'' books: http://www.madscientistsclub.com/books.html

_Swiss Family Robinson_ for the younger kids.

_Escape from Warsaw_ as well.

_Chitty Chitty Bang Bang_ and _101 Dalmatians_ (we had a standing rule that kids had to read the book before seeing the movie)

Last edited by WillAdams; 07-03-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fix typo
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #26
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I am currently reading Richard Fords Quest for the Faradawn, and it seems to be perfect for age 10+. Especially if they are fond of animals or nature in general.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Also, the Warriors series by Erin Hunter is very popular among kids.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:
Someone trolling Harry?
Slightly humorous, but absolutely wrong.

Even McDonalds knows boys and girls don't want the same stuff.

On behalf of a certain gentleman's birthday I would like to suggest some Kafka for 16 and ups with half empty glasses.
A Hunger Artist
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #29
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Here are a few other books that my kids loved around the ages of 8-11:

The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
Flush and Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
Any of the books by Gary D. Schmidt are good. In particular Trouble and Lizzy Bright and the Buckminster Boy.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #30
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
My 11-year old son's favourites:

Rick Riordan
The Kane Chronicles series
Percy Jackson & the Olympians series
Heroes of Olympus series

Rick Riordan's homepage

Justin Somper

Vampirates series

Vampirates homepage

Darren Shan
The vampire's assistant