Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
iPad-iTunes-Calibre Problems

I've just followed, to the letter, the instructions on how to get Calibre to talk to iTunes so I can download recipes, convert them and send them to "device".

I'm running an iPad 3 (iOS6) with the latest iTunes and the current build of Calibre.

Calibre and iTunes are talking. However, the ebooks aren't appearing in iBooks.

In iTunes, the left pane, Library - Books, the new books are shown. However, under Devices - iPad - Books, the new books aren't being displayed.

I take from this that from the library to the device, something is broken, but I don't know what, or where to look to fix it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
tanteoma
Enthusiast
tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't use itunes or ibooks, other posters will have advices about them. I use dropbox and other cloud service to transfer my books wirelessly to my ipad. All you have to do is to put the files of your books in the dropbox folder and the computer has many ways to do that.

Or you can simply use the calibre to email the books to your own address and view them on your ipad. Calibre can be set to do this automatically for news it fetched.

Last edited by tanteoma; 09-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.
tanteoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanteoma View Post
I use dropbox and other cloud service to transfer my books wirelessly to my ipad. All you have to do is to put the files of your books in the dropbox folder and the computer has many ways to do that.
Which Dropbox folder? And how do I tell Calibre to write the news feeds directly to that folder?

Also, one problem is that if the files are large ones, then over a wifi connection (and even my ADSL one) it will take quite a while to transfer.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
mjt57
Connoisseur

I don't know if this is a workaround or how to actually do it, but I tried dragging and dropping the files in question from the "Library" to the "Device".

That got iTunes to import the files into the device...

I'm new to iTunes and iOS, having come over from Android. So, I wasn't aware that "drag and drop" would work. It was something that just popped up in my mind so I tried it...

Thing is, I want to set Calibre to auto-download new recipes from various news sources, mainly tech news, to the iPad each morning before I head off to work. If the process can be automated all I need to do is to set and forget as I get ready for the day.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Which Dropbox folder? And how do I tell Calibre to write the news feeds directly to that folder?
Use any one folder in your dropbox, call it whatever you want. Use the Connect to folder feature to connect to that folder as a device then use the Send to device icon to send books to that folder.

You can have calibre automatically connect to that folder on startup by going to Preferences - Tweaks - Specify a folder calibre should connect to at startup and following the example enter the folder in the Edit tweak area. Click apply lower right, then click Apply top left.

Quote:
Also, one problem is that if the files are large ones, then over a wifi connection (and even my ADSL one) it will take quite a while to transfer.
Planning ahead by transferring the files to Dropbox at night would help with your limitation.

Quote:
Thing is, I want to set Calibre to auto-download new recipes from various news sources, mainly tech news, to the iPad each morning before I head off to work.
I can't talk Apple or iPad, but the Dropbox method above would work great.

Quote:
If the process can be automated all I need to do is to set and forget as I get ready for the day.
If you decide to use the Dropbox method it certainly can be automated.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
mjt57
Connoisseur

Thanks, Dr. Oh.

I'll have a play with that method. My concern is that the time taken to upload to Dropbox, then for the iPad to download the files to it, either over wifi or 3G.

And I assume that I access the files by opening the specified Dropbox folder in the DB app on the device? I have only had this iPad for a few months and am still coming to grips with how Apple does things compared to Android or Windows.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks, Dr. Oh.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I'll have a play with that method. My concern is that the time taken to upload to Dropbox, then for the iPad to download the files to it, either over wifi or 3G.
I have an ASUS Nexus 7 and Dropbox does not download any files (just the list of available files) to you tablet until you click on the file to open it.

Quote:
I have only had this iPad for a few months and am still coming to grips with how Apple does things compared to Android or Windows.
Good luck with figuring it out.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-27-2012 at 01:13 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I've just followed, to the letter, the instructions on how to get Calibre to talk to iTunes so I can download recipes, convert them and send them to "device".

I'm running an iPad 3 (iOS6) with the latest iTunes and the current build of Calibre.

Calibre and iTunes are talking. However, the ebooks aren't appearing in iBooks.

In iTunes, the left pane, Library - Books, the new books are shown. However, under Devices - iPad - Books, the new books aren't being displayed.

I take from this that from the library to the device, something is broken, but I don't know what, or where to look to fix it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
After transferring the books from calibre to iTunes, you need to transfer them from iTunes to your iDevice. The simplest way is to drag them from the LIBRARY|Books window to the DEVICES icon representing your connected iDevice. You can also use the File|Sync command, but that may involve more decision-making.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
mjt57
Connoisseur

Thanks for your suggestions. It's appreciated.

In the end I worked it out (I hope). I had to set up auto-sync'ing of books in iTunes under "Device - Apps - Books". There are options there that I fiddled with.

It all now seems to be working. Just need to figure out how to get the news off of the interwebby thing and onto the iPad in one or two clicks...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
mjt57
Connoisseur

Just to ressurect an old thread and to update things, I've dumped the idea of using Calibre and iTunes to copy books to the iPad's Kindle app, or indeed, iBooks, which I've removed from the device.

For large PDFs I use iTunes directly and the file sharing feature under "Apps". For recipes I've discovered and worked out the "Connect-Share/Send via email" function. I'm also using that to send proper books to the cloud using my kindle.com email address linked to one of the Kindles.

From there it's a simple matter of getting the device and telling it to download the books/recipes as required.

I haven't done much with my Kindle/Kindle apps since I first started this thread. But my interest was rekindled (pun intended) when my wife got me a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas.

So, yeah, all's good now.

Thanks again for your help, folks. It's appreciated.